Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi and sorry for the new thread but there are so many on this topic! I purchased a used 2007 DePaxed touring back in October (2011). This is my first Honda vehicle but replaced a Town & Country after checking out reviews. The 2000 Town and Country (180,000mi) had AWD, 3.8L compaired to the Odyssey's 3.5L VVT + VCM. My typical fuel economy on a highway trip with the T&C was only 22 mpg - obviously, I expected much better with the Ody. However, on a recent trip for Thanksgiving - the same trip I've made many times before with the T&C, I averaged only 21.6 mpg. BTW, this trip is a 900 mile trip and two fill ups. I drive for fuel economy, setting the cruise at only 68 and taking it easy on accelerations. I've made this same trip with my Jetta TDI and averaged nearly 56mpg - apples to oranges but the point is, I drive for fuel economy. In all 3 cars the load for this trip was similar: 2 adults, 2 kids and the dog (except in the Jetta). The Ody had 104,000 miles when I bought it so here is what I did to prep for the Thanksgiving trip:
  • Timing belt (Dayco kit - I will add to that post later)
  • Serpentine belt (Dayco)
  • Coolant flush (had Honda type 2 and that's what I replaced it with)
  • Fresh WIX air filter and cabin filter
  • Fresh Amsoil 5W-20 XL and filter
  • Both tanks of fuel received a pint of Sea Foam
  • All 4 tires at 51 psi
This vehicle runs great but the fuel economy just isn't there. I suspect my torque converter is not locking up. I have a scan tool and have confimred the engine coolant temp is 174-176 degrees F (all though my guage needle is less than half way on the scale). I've read several posts on this site - some very smart folks for sure. In fact, this site is where I got the idea to check coolant temp. Any other suggestions??

·
Registered
186 Posts
Did I read your post correctly that your tires are inflated to 51 psi?

Yes my touring has similar fuel consumption figures. Changing out thermostat to a higher temp one does help a little in the mpg department.

·
Registered
380 Posts
51 psi is almost 15-20 PSI higher than recommended in a vehicles tires. Do you find your tires wear out at the center this way?

Remember, you are driving a brick through the air. The more rounded rear end of the T&C may have a slight effect on the MPG of the van. I would bet thats the likely culprit here. If you want MPG your only real options are to go to a TDI version of an SUV like the Audi Q7 TDI that is supposed to come out next year I believe (if I remember the article correctly).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are not the stock tires, they are Yokohama 235/65R16/103T's installed by the previous owner (he replaced the PAX system). These tires call for 51 psi and are wearing normally. I see posts on this site with upper 20's on the highway. The highway fuel economy is rated at 23 and the way I drive I would expect to see that or better - upper 20's better still. The Odyssey is the right vehicle for us (although I've wondered what it would do with my Jetta 1.9L TDI installed into it :rollingeyes: ). Are the claims of 28mpg inaccurate??

·
Registered
221 Posts
My '09 is averaging 22mpgs in my 90% freeway and 10% city commute.

I typically cruise control at 70mph.

My tires are inflated to approx 35/36psi cold.

My best mpg is something like 25.

My worst was something like 19 - when new.

Currently, w Costco regular I'm getting between 21.x and 23.x mpgs.

Joel

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
513 Posts
Our 2007 EX-L gets 25-26 loaded (3 kids, dog and gear...) and has gotten 29 with a lighter load. That was with the stock tires at 38psi - 4psi above Honda's recommendation.

As a note, the marking on the side of the tire is not the pressure they should filled at, but the maximum pressure at which they should be filled at and at which they have their highest capacity. You're probably not helping MPG by filling them that high, only making the ride more firm.

Nicolas

·
Registered
318 Posts
Our 2007 EX-L gets 25-26 loaded (3 kids, dog and gear...) and has gotten 29 with a lighter load. That was with the stock tires at 38psi - 4psi above Honda's recommendation.

As a note, the marking on the side of the tire is not the pressure they should filled at, but the maximum pressure at which they should be filled at and at which they have their highest capacity. You're probably not helping MPG by filling them that high, only making the ride more firm.

Nicolas

My 2007 EXL is similar with tires at 35psi (toyo versado), 4 to 5 people, full luggage for a week, drive at 75mph on fairly flat road

I can get 25-26 consistently.

DO NOT USE THE CRUISE CONTROL!

I find on this vehicle, when I use the cruise on the same exact trip and load, I get 22-23. I can meter the fuel more efficiently than the cruise can. I know that sounds ass backwards, but I have done it several times to confirm.

·
Registered
513 Posts
DO NOT USE THE CRUISE CONTROL!
I agree on the principle, but I am not about to give up the convenience of the cruise control. :)

My numbers were on cruise.

Nicolas

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I like to use cruise and have for years. I have to admit though, when I set the cruise while whatching the instant mpg on the Ody, the numbers don't seem to behave. The ECO lite comes on and the instant mpg drops right away. It almost defies logic. I have seen the instant mpg increase with increased cruise settings from 68 to 72. Very strange compaired to my Town & Country. My main concern is that my torque converter is not locking up - that's what I really want to find out. As I said originally, the engine coolant temp looks normal @ 174-176. Is there a convenient way to tell if the torque converter is locking up? As for the tire psi, 51 is the max cold number but it does reduce rolling resistance. I like your numbers Nicolas & Kenny. If I could get mine there I'd be good with that. I may start with some new plugs - that's the one thing I haven't done yet and I think they are the originals.

·
Registered
3 Posts
05 Touring, I get 25-26 mpg highway, only 14 around town (which is awful, but I guess that's city driving in a big vehicle). I did better around town in our Mercedes ML350 with AWD. Go figure

·
Registered
9 Posts
with my 06 EX-L I just made a trip about 650 miles each way. On the way back with no cargo/people and normal tires/pressure I could barely get 22.5 mpg. I was surely hoping for more. Although, I was averaging b/w 75 and 80 mph mostly. I am sure a lower speed would improve it some.

The ECO mode is actually kinda annoying the way it kicks in and out almost feeling like gear shifting. I wish there was a way to control it. But I did notice that the cruise control tends to manage the ECO mode slightly better in that it progresses the speed up pattern pretty nicely avoiding the ECO switching off to a great extent.

·
Registered
80 Posts
with my 06 EX-L I just made a trip about 650 miles each way. On the way back with no cargo/people and normal tires/pressure I could barely get 22.5 mpg. I was surely hoping for more. Although, I was averaging b/w 75 and 80 mph mostly. I am sure a lower speed would improve it some.

The ECO mode is actually kinda annoying the way it kicks in and out almost feeling like gear shifting. I wish there was a way to control it. But I did notice that the cruise control tends to manage the ECO mode slightly better in that it progresses the speed up pattern pretty nicely avoiding the ECO switching off to a great extent.
Whn my car was new, the eco mode was accompanied by a slight vibration. Within the last 6 months to a year, the ECO mode has been accompanied by a hard shift/hiccup. Hard to describe. Sometimes it feels like when your foot slips off the clutch when sifting gears in a manual. My Opinion is that the car is trying to get into over drive and is unable to do so. I feel this way because of my gas mileage dropping way off from when I purchased the car. I just took a 2000 mile round trip. The car averaged 18.8 MPG. That was all highway. I reset the counter at the gas station right next to 95 at the start of the trip.

I have an 08 Touring. The car has been into the shop. The tech said something was definitely wrong. Honda techline says it is normal. I have a case with honda cs. Initially they did not sound like they were going to work with me. But, my last call I was promissed a rental car plus gas reimbursement for the distance to the dealership. That does not mean they are going to fix the problem. But it is a start. The longer they wait, the more expensive it gets for them. I have an 8 year extended warranty on the car. So, if the TC takes the transmission too, they will be responsible.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Whn my car was new, the eco mode was accompanied by a slight vibration. Within the last 6 months to a year, the ECO mode has been accompanied by a hard shift/hiccup. Hard to describe. Sometimes it feels like when your foot slips off the clutch when sifting gears in a manual.
I'm no expert, so hopefully some others will confirm or deny...but that sounds like the infamous rear motor mount issue...

your fuel economy sucks though. Not sure what the deal is with that...other than if you were doing 80 the whole time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
jpcommons, look at the comment above from daisydog. The fuel efficiency having to do with Torque Convertor. Since you have the warranty I would definitely get it checked.

As far as the ECO mode and the little 'kick' it makes. I might be wrong, but the ECO mode actually shuts off one of the cylinders and then turns it back on once it gets re-engaged by pressing on the gas. So it is bound to 'tug' a little but to me it was just annoying. As far as gas mileage, in comparison now, my 22.5 looks like I am driving a civic. Good luck with your diagnosis and pls keep us posted.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My wife's 06 EX-L averaged about 18 mpg the last road trip we took - about 400 miles, cruise set around 76-78. I changed the spark plugs out before my current trip, 900 miles so far, and we got 23 and 23.5 on the first two tanks. We haved about 95K miles. I'd suggest teh plugs if you haven't done so.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Our 05 EX-L (w/ 85k miles) consistently averaged 24-25mpg on highway trips (2 adults, 1 kid), 70-75mph. Lighter foot rewards me with just 1 extra mpg.
Daily driving (50%-50% city/hwy) yields 18.5 mpg

I keep tire pressure at 33psi. Operating engine temp hovers around 176-179 (I have Ultragauge installed so I do monitor it on real-time basis). I notice that fuel consumption is higher when the engine temp is lower, even if just a few degrees (disclaimer: based on my observation on the gallon per hour gauge at idle).

Our van does lurch when VCM turns on and slight vibration for as long as it is on - as described by many other posters. I've been ignoring it for 2+ years / 40k+ miles, it doesn't get worse.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts