Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mileage on my 2001 Odyssey has dropped from 22 to 17 around town. It runs fine but cleared a cat code recently. Will a bad cat cause poor mileage? Even though I do not have a O2 sensor code, could I have a bad O2 sensor that is contributing to the poor mileage?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Dunno, I'm pretty new to this vehicle, but I heard a guy at Honda service talking to a customer and apparently the H's are more likely to burn up O2 sensors? And he said if you use aftermarket somehow the computer knows and you get codes, but this was just overhearing service guy while in waiting room. You may have other issues that show up with the cat code...burning oil, coolant, that sort of thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2001 Poor Mileage Odyssey

If you are getting 17 mpg for city driving, consider yourself very luck. Bad cat. won't cause poor mileage, however, it would cause bad exhaust emission instead. You should check condition of spark plugs, air filter, throttle opening, fuel injectors and intake manifold passages for carbon blocking. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
A cat would have to be severely restricting flow to make much of a difference I would think. O2's can definitely drop your mileage without setting a code. I had a bad one in my truck that made it violently buck until up to operating temp, no code though. 5 mpg drop is nothing to scoff at. May be worth swapping both sensors, I would go OEM only. Please post back if you find the culprit.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sontakke,

Thats what i would like to know too! thats my target city mpg!

Please let us know more.

CK

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ever tried seafoaming your van? i have and it helps out. runs better and idles a lot better. try for yourself. the exciting part is when all that black smoke come out from the tailpipe.:DD

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Ever tried seafoaming your van? i have and it helps out. runs better and idles a lot better. try for yourself. the exciting part is when all that black smoke come out from the tailpipe.:DD
Please consider your neighbours when you start sending smoke signals out the tailpipe. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts