Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason I don't seem to get more that 18MPG on my 2018 Odyssey EX-L. It doesn't matter if it is in the HWY or the city streets. I do a mix of city streets and the HWY but, while on long trips on the HWY the MPG is not improved. I mean, it gives worst MPG than my previous 2006 Ford Expedition with all 8 cylinders! My 2018 Honda Pilot, with same engine but 6 speed transmission gives me 19.1MPG.

·
Registered
16 Posts
For some reason I don't seem to get more that 18MPG on my 2018 Odyssey EX-L. It doesn't matter if it is in the HWY or the city streets. I do a mix of city streets and the HWY but, while on long trips on the HWY the MPG is not improved. I mean, it gives worst MPG than my previous 2006 Ford Expedition with all 8 cylinders! My 2018 Honda Pilot, with same engine but 6 speed transmission gives me 19.1MPG.
Mine got awesome mileage on our last long trip... What gas are you using?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
Something is very wrong with the HWY mileage you are getting. For all my gripes with our 2018, we got 28.5 MPG on our last entirely highway trip. In city driving, we approach 18 MPGs.
Perhaps something is wrong with the transmission in its selection of gears, or with the "Mode" selection--Econ, Drive or Sport.
Keep an eye on your tachometer as you drive.
Or maybe your fuel injection or ignition system is malfunctioning.
( The gasoline selection could make a slight difference but it is unlikely that it wold cause your tremendously low highway mpgs).
Unless your Ody is very heavily loaded down, or something is causing severe drag, such as a brake being on, you likely have a mechanical problem.
Good luck in finding out what the problem is...and having it repaired.

·
Registered
361 Posts
You also have to reset the the mileage for A or B before the trip other wise it uses the total mileage for the calculation which would sway the MPG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Something is very wrong with the HWY mileage you are getting. For all my gripes with our 2018, we got 28.5 MPG on our last entirely highway trip. In city driving, we approach 18 MPGs.
Perhaps something is wrong with the transmission in its selection of gears, or with the "Mode" selection--Econ, Drive or Sport.
Keep an eye on your tachometer as you drive.
Or maybe your fuel injection or ignition system is malfunctioning.
( The gasoline selection could make a slight difference but it is unlikely that it wold cause your tremendously low highway mpgs).
Unless your Ody is very heavily loaded down, or something is causing severe drag, such as a brake being on, you likely have a mechanical problem.
Good luck in finding out what the problem is...and having it repaired.
I don't drive in ECON nor SPORT modes. In ECON the car struggles and in SPORT mode will guzzle even more gas than it does now. My Odyssey is never loaded, I use it as my daily driver, no passengers and no cargo. Once in while I take the boy, who's a 100 pounds wet and his Taekwondo equipment (which is light), to practice. The gasoline I use is regular unleaded from either ARCO, Ralphs, Costco and Sinclair. The car is impeccably maintained but only has, after almost a year of driving 6500 miles. I don't believe that the brakes are on either. The only thing I know and see is how quickly my gas tank is consumed even in the shortest of trips. It is a gas guzzler! I haven't noticed any kind of issues with the gears but will look at the tachometer but what I should be looking at? Just wondering.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You have eliminated many of the possibilities.
I only mentioned the tach since it would tell you how fast the engine is revving, which might indicate that something is wrong with the gears/transmission. But you write that you have not noticed anything unusual with the gear shifting.
Still a possibility is that the ignition and/or fuel system needs to be checked. An inspection of the fuel injection system is recommended.
Did you clear the mileage indicator after each fill up to get a truer mpg indicator? (as cspring suggested) to get an accurate mpg indication? (You do write that your tank is emptied quickly, so your observation of gas guzzling doesn't rely on the calculation).
Something mechanical or electronic is definitely wrong. Better take it to your dealer's service department.
Good luck!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Are your tire pressures up to spec? or 2PSI over spec even better...

Low pressure would create friction that would burn extra fuel.

Dave

·
Registered
163 Posts
What is your MPG on a tank of gas when you manually calculate it?

Your trip computer is probably configured to reset on every startup. You can customize this setting. I have trip A reset MPG automatically after gas fill up and trip b reset MPG on every drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
451 Posts
Why not do a simple test. Assuming your odometer is correct. Fill up the tank. Drive 30-40 miles on the highway. Go back to the same pump.
Fill up. Divide mileage by gallons to fill up the tank.

·
Registered
18 Posts
do you have your a/c on? I noticed this car literally "chugs" gas when the a/c is on and is sitting at a stop sign/traffic light. Even after half tank is consumed (i reset my trip calculator after each refill), the avg mpg number tends to go down every 30 - 50 seconds I sit idle (again, with a/c on).

On my normal commute, I can get close to 21 - 22 mpg without running a/c (with windows down), but only 16 - 18 with a/c running. the range of numbers is due to traffic pattern. more stops required, the (much) less mpg i get.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What is your MPG on a tank of gas when you manually calculate it?

Your trip computer is probably configured to reset on every startup. You can customize this setting. I have trip A reset MPG automatically after gas fill up and trip b reset MPG on every drive.

Hey Showtz,

Would you be so kind as to inform me/us as to how exactly the setting for the automatic MPG resets can be done?
That sounds great!
I'm guessing that others would also be interested in how to do this.

Please provide each step in the process for this tech-challenged guy.

Thanks... much appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Trip A / B Resets can be configured in the Settings > Vehicle > Meter Setup > Trip A Reset Timing and Trip B Reset Timing options.

On my Elite using the center console touch screen, tape on Home, find the Settings icon and tap on that. Find the Vehicle line item and tap on that. Find the Meter Setup line item, and tap on that. Find the Trip A Reset Timing line item, and tap on that. Select one of the choices: WITH REFUEL, IGN OFF, Manually Reset. Tap on SAVE. Repeat the process for Trip B Reset Timing. To mimic Showtz settings you would set Trip A Reset Timing to "WITH REFUEL" and Trip B Reset Timing to "IGN OFF". Hope that helps!

·
Registered
90 Posts
[SIZE=4 said:
neyugnt;2272603]The Trip A / B Resets can be configured in the Settings > Vehicle > Meter Setup > Trip A Reset Timing and Trip B Reset Timing options.

On my Elite using the center console touch screen, tape on Home, find the Settings icon and tap on that. Find the Vehicle line item and tap on that. Find the Meter Setup line item, and tap on that. Find the Trip A Reset Timing line item, and tap on that. Select one of the choices: WITH REFUEL, IGN OFF, Manually Reset. Tap on SAVE. Repeat the process for Trip B Reset Timing. To mimic Showtz settings you would set Trip A Reset Timing to "WITH REFUEL" and Trip B Reset Timing to "IGN OFF". Hope that helps!
Neyugent,

It sure does help--a great deal!! Thank you very much for the step-by-step description. (A lot of tapping!).

I (and am sure others) am very grateful for your detailed, easy to follow procedure.
(The official Honda website or manual should be half as clear!).

Again...Much appreciated,Neyugnt![/SIZE]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have about 3,800 miles on my 2018 EXL. Normally get 24-26 mpg around town, 29-30 mpg on highways with AC on. Worst fuel mileage was when pulling a trailer that had a gross weight of 2,000 lbs. for 400 highway miles- 15.8mpg.

I didn’t believe computer indicated highway fuel mileage of 29-30 mpg and calculated the old fashioned way, miles driven divided by gallons used. Each time I have done this I have found that car computer underestimates actual average fuel mileage by about 1/2 mile per gallon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey, did you ever figure this out? this is my 3rd EX-L model (a 2019) and I am getting awful MPG (14). I drive like a grandma and with my 2016 I was getting close to 20 doing about the same type fo driving. Would love to hear if you figured anything out! thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
12 Participants
rblewis7
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing