Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to next summer and thinking about what my family might do for a vacation. I'd be interested to know if anybody out there tows a pop-up camper or a 'lite' travel trailer, and what your recommendations are. Obviously the biggest challenge is finding something that doesn't weigh more than around 3,000 lbs fully loaded, to leave enough capacity for filling up the van with kids and stuff...

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I currently don't tow a trailer (or anything else) with my Ody. In the past I towed a Bethany 560 pop-up trailer (if you know campers, you know this was a long time ago, actually, it was an old trailer when I got it). I guestimated the weight of this trailer at 1000-1200 pounds. The box of this trailer was just 6 feet wide and 10 feet long. I had the smallest trailer of all those that we regularly camped with.

The largest camper in our group, also a pop-up, was estimated to be about 2200 pounds. I'd guess that this trailer was manufactured about 1980. I'm pretty sure they make 'em a lot lighter now.

My point, finding a pop-up under 3000 pounds should be pretty easy.

Mel

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a 1994 23' (open) Coachmen popup that we towed approximately 1000 miles this last summer. It weighs approximately 2000# which is heavy for a popup. It towed well, a little better than the 95 Windstar it replaced. The rear springs are quite soft on this van, I plan on adding Air Lifts before the next vacation.
Popups are the lightest and easiest to tow RV's out there, and offer the most sleeping space. Many RV dealers will rent units, so that you can try out this form of camping before you buy.
I would suggest looking for a unit with either surge or electric brakes, most units under 1500# don't have brakes.

------------------
Bill Aquino

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just purchased a 19' Towlite Trailer.
It is a hardsided popup and weighs in at 2700 pounds dry. I have only towed it about 40 miles so far but found that it towed well with just a slight sag in the back. I plan to add airlifts to firm up the rear suspension. The first camping run is this weekend - going about 75 miles away - I'll post an update on how things work out.

------------------
On the list for an '02
GG L-EX

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would be very interested in your towing experience with a 02 Ody (power, handling, etc). I assume you have the towing package already installed, especially the tranny cooler ?

pj

·
Registered
196 Posts
OdyRod

Have you towed your trailer since your last post?
How die it go?

Frank

·
Registered
138 Posts
We drove our brand new Coleman Cheyenne home this evening! We had Honda install the tow package with tranny cooler when we bought our 01 LX last summer. We finally decided to go for it and get the popup. The Cheyenne is a 10' trailer that sleeps 8. The only feature we couldn't get with this smaller trailer is the inside shower and commode. We didn't want to max out the weight we'd be towing, and that feature adds a surprising amount of weight. Ours is 1700 unloaded and so that gives us plenty of room for packing the kids, luggage, bikes, food, etc.

When we drove it home, I noticed a little droop in the back. I don't know if we can afford the air lifts right now, so we'll try being very careful. My husband, who did the driving, said it felt just fine.

I am hoping this is the beginning of a wonderful relationship! We can't wait to take it out camping! I'll let you know how it goes.

:)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well, we finally were able to break in the Cheyenne last week at Morro Strand State Beach. We chose that campground because it's only 2 miles from my father-in-law's home in Cayucos, so if we had any problems, we could just go there.

In terms of towing, the trailer pulled well, with little or no "bouncing" when we got up to freeway speed. My husband is very skilled in towing vehicles, and he said the Cheyenne (about 2000 pounds) handled excellently. But we did notice a major drop in gas mileage - down to 17 hwy from 24 hwy.

We have a weight-distributing hitch and the Honda tow package. No sway bar necessary with this trailer.

One lesson to be learned, however: make sure two people help to connect the van to the trailer. My hubby tried it himself and somehow backed the hitch into the fender! We have a ding that is pretty deep that could have been avoided. Oh well, live and learn...

All in all, we loved the trip and are planning to go to Yosemite in three days. We're hooked!

:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts