Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just purchased an 05 Odyssey. Had 59000 miles and in great condition. However, I have a friend that is selling me his pop-up. He just informed me it weighs 5000lbs fully loaded. Am i going to be able to pull with the Odyssey? Help for new Odyssey owner. Thanks. Bloominole.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't tow anything with one of these vehicles, but there are trailer wiring kits, hitch receivers and at *minimum* a transmission cooler specifically made for it.

Your owners manual would tell you how much weight it should be able to tow.

$.02

·
Registered
205 Posts
See if you can find a public scale and get the Pop-up weighed. I find it hard to believe it's 5,000 lbs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you are planning on towing, Honda requires a transmission and power steering cooler upgrade first. You can get an aftermarket setup that is better than the factory "upgrade". It really wouldn't hurt to put some powerslot rotors on the front with better pads, it's not required but it will make towing safer.

The limit the van can tow is 3500 pounds and 5000 pounds sounds pretty high for a pop up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about brakes as the pop-up SHOULD have brakes on it. A nice brake controller like the Tekonsha Prodigy would be wise. I have a high-wall pop-up that I pull with my Odyssey and it runs close to 3500lbs. I have never seen or hear of a 5,000 ponder either and I've had a few pop-ups. You MAYBE could get by towing a tad heavier, but I wouldn't tow that much heavier. And like others have said, get the full tow package and consider a Class III hitch for that much weight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. J35A6, I will upgrade the brakes since they need to be replaced anyway. The 5000# is what the man selling the camper says is the fully loaded weight. I will also look into the cooler, transmission upgrade. Thanks again everyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts