Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

Need your advice. I am driving a 2005 Odyssey and having this popping noise lately.

The popping noise occurs while driving slowing, turning, braking (tapping) or reversing my car. The noise only occurs after driving for a distance. I don't get the noise in the morning or after parking for a period of time.

So far I only changed the anti-roll bar joint which does reduces the noise...when the mechanic took it off and went to test drive the car, no popping sound heard. Could it be CV joint or lower arm?

Went to the dealer and was told it was due to wheel bearing and knuckle.

Brought my car to another mechanic from anti-roll bar links or bushes and steering rack. :huh:

·
Registered
27 Posts
How many miles? Have the end links for the sway bar checked/replaced. Make sure they are torqued properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many miles? Have the end links for the sway bar checked/replaced. Make sure they are torqued properly.
Reaching 50k miles...could it be from my shock absorber/spring? I had replaced recently and the 'popping' noise starts to appear.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Strut replacement is what caused my 2002 to make a sound similar to what you describe. After just over 2 years I finally checked the torque on my end links and found that one was just a little loose. I tightened them all to specs and presto, no more sound. Give it a shot. It is easy to check and if they are worn, they are cheap to replace.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi mate,

You mean the front sway bar end link or shock/damper?

I have replaced my front sway bar end link and the popping sound is 'softer' but still there. I am thinking to replace the front lower ball joint and sway bar bushings. Any take on that or is it due to my new shocks not properly fixed?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sway bar end links are what I am speaking of. You could try the sway bar bushings also and see if you get a better result. If replacing the sway bar end links made a noted improvement, you are zeroed in on the right parts. Double check your work with the end links. Make sure you have torqued them properly. If you can't check the torque, tighten them as much as you can.

I was misled many times regarding a similar sound on my 2002. Replaced all kinds of major expensive parts with no cure. Struts, CVs, control arms(this included ball joints and bushings) springs. None of those resolved the issue. It all came down to the sway bar end links. The dealer I was using at the time had failed to tighten the lower end of the driver side end link when they replaced them. Chased that darn noise for two years. Finally fed up and ready to trade the van in for a newer one, I checked everything one last time. It wasn't loose enough that I could move it by hand but I was able to tighten it with an offset box end wrench a considerable amount more. Drove it out of the garage and the noise was gone. Hasn't been back for six months now.

With one noise gone I am starting to hear another from the rear. I can't say I will have the same tolerance for this new sound. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Popping noise from my 2006

I experienced the "popping noise" coming from the rear suspension of our 2006 model and was able to take it to the dealer I bought it from. (Helps that I used to work there). I was able to raise it on their lifts and take a look underneath. What I found after we performed the inspection, was that the bolt holding the rear shock to the lower suspension area was loose. We tightened it up and that has taken care of that annoying sound. Most dealers, if you ask them nicley, will let you look underneath the vehicle in those situations with the mechanic. Hope this helps and thanks for the advice past, present and future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts