Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this subject been talked about many times in DIY mod section, but I have a question to those who got the version without VDI (voice distance indicator). Have you place the LED display monitor other than rear view mirror? I thinking of putting it near the rear of the car, so when I turn my head to reverse, I can see the back as well as the LED. I know I can get the VDI, but I already got my wife as the "backseat driver" and I don't need another female's voice to nag at me.

I decided Poron over Ross because, it looks like Poron has a better chance of still working after a minor fender bender. And of course its easier to install.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hey, I am also looking to install a poron too. But I cannot find many place that sell them. The worst thing is I can't even find an email address to ask PoronUSA where do they sell their product. I prefer the micro3, but have no luck to find where to purchase one, I found a few places who sell the mini3 and one place who sell the micro2 instead of micro3. Any help is appreciated.
Also, whoever have installed one, have they tried to stick the sensors onto the edges of the hatch as instructed, do the sensors affect by the extension of the bumper underneath? I know one memeber installed under the bumper though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lotus18:
Hey, I am also looking to install a poron too. But I cannot find many place that sell them. The worst thing is I can't even find an email address to ask PoronUSA where do they sell their product. I prefer the micro3, but have no luck to find where to purchase one, I found a few places who sell the mini3 and one place who sell the micro2 instead of micro3. Any help is appreciated.
Also, whoever have installed one, have they tried to stick the sensors onto the edges of the hatch as instructed, do the sensors affect by the extension of the bumper underneath? I know one memeber installed under the bumper though.
</font>
Try www.autotoys.com. I think the minis and the micros are the same, just name different. Heres the long thread for the reverse sensors in the DIY section : http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/000012.html

And have you read Poron Talking Backup Sensor by Errol in the Tech section? http://www.odyclub.com/tech/poron.html

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi ya folks,

Talk to John Lee at 800-869-8866. He is the US distributor. His email is [email protected] I've corresponded with him before.

Do a quick search on poron or the contact info above. There was a thread where a fellow poron owner was able to contact them and get results he couldn't get from the vendor he got the poron from.

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

[This message has been edited by errol (edited 12-19-2001).]

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks. I think micro3 is the one with VDI (voice) and 3 sensors while mini3 is the one with LED display under the mirror only, (no voice). Am I correct?
Errol, does John Lee has a business website to sell the Poron online? I'll call him tomorrow.
I'll probably wait 2 more weeks to decide on the Poron because I've just got an email from Donnelley that they will sell the back-up camera separately from their ECT mirror. I'll see what is the pricing by then to decide which one to pick.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi lotus,

Their site is poronusa.com.

It would make for a good xmas present huh?

Hi HK,

If I had gotten the LED version, I'd definitely put it at the top of the rear window so I can SEE both it and the rear of the van when backing up. I'm not like a pro truck driver who can backup by just using mirrors.

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

[This message has been edited by errol (edited 12-20-2001).]

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks errol, I have just ordered a micro3 from John Lee. I did not know it is on sale now for only $139. Very good price. I decided against the idea of the Donnelley's camera because it does not give the distance.
Thanks again. John Lee is a very nice guy to do business with. He even has instruction specifically for Ody.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just to report that I have installed the Poron micro3 successfully. Thanks to errol's detailed procedure. I printed that out and followed it step by step. No problem at all except the speaker that I could not installed at the same location as he did. The screw just could not be put back on if I passed the speaker cord though the same hole. I instead just passed the cord through the gap between the left upper and lower panels and stuck it onto the lower panel right after it came out of the gap. Also, I called John Lee to confirm that the clear plastic covers for the sensors are just for cosmetic only, no protectional function, and I did not put them on.
Overall, it is very easy to install, only if you have errol's print out on hand.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi lotus,

Glad the instructions helped.

If you use an exacto knife or any sharp knife, you should be able to carve a little cutout for the wire on the side of that hanger hole.

At any rate, congrats on a successful install.

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a question for those who had the Poron with voice installed. I installed mine under the rear bumper as opposed to through the bumper. I think Errol installed the same way as I did. Anyway, this was done using the supplied brackets pointing up at an angle so that the sensors don't sense the road. However, my sensors usually give false reading especially when I'm on the garage driveway's slope or on some unleveled/rough road. I played around with the angle of the brackets quite a bit, but seems like everytime I thought it is reliable, it's still NOT. Could someone suggest a solution? Thanks in advance.

------------------
'01 Starlight Silver EX
Totally Newbie now, but learning quick.

·
Registered
239 Posts
You're not alone. Mine too. I am still fine tuning the sensors. I hope Errol would give us some hints to fix that since he is one of the first who had install Poron on the Ody and I have not yet hearing any complaint from him.
The most frustrated message is the 'oject in blind area'. I have to shift away from reverse to clear that message. I tried to disconnect the outside 2 sensors anf leave just the center one connected to see if it helps. It helped a little but then I think I'll miss out on the width of the coverage.
Somtimes when the voice says it is '2 feet', and as I continue backing up, it changes to '8 feet', and then back to '2 feet' again.
I did not know what to do., but as I keep on backing up slowly, it starts getting accurate again.
Another thing I have changed after the installation is to move the speaker to the front just at the bottom of the pillar next to the driver seat, this way I can hear the voice clearer.
Overall, I still like the Poron because I know it still tells me how much space is left behind the bumper.
Errol, any help to fix the problems is apprecaited.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi ya folks,

By virtue of installing it at an elevation below the manufacturer's recommendation, it will operate at less than optimum performance. I do get them as well occassionally.

I think you guys have actually done more tweaking than I have in finding the optimum pointing angle.

I always look behind the van before I climb into the van and while backing up just to verify that there are no obstructions. Now coupled with the sensors, I'm confident each time I backup even though false readings are given at times which normally happens when backing up from our steep driveway to the street or close to the curb.

When this happens, I just stop then slowly continue which allows the sensors to correct itself.

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

[This message has been edited by errol (edited 01-13-2002).]

·
Registered
158 Posts
So I guess I am not alone then. I wish Honda integrated this gadget in their vans though. It would be much easier for Honda to integrate than for owner to add it him/herself. These sensors are not that expensive and I think it is a feature that would tilt the scale in favor of one deciding to buy a large vehicle such as the vans. When you think about it, it's not that bad given the less-than-optimum way of installing the sensors. I also practice safety habits like errol by checking around the vehicle before getting in and backing out, but the sensors are added peace of mind. I kind of get use to the false reading and tend to be confident when backing out - just worrying about the wife though. She gets a little nervous hearing the poron saying 12-inches repeatedly.

By the way, I am thinking about bringing the poron speaker to near the driver seat also. How do you route the wire? Under the plastic piece along the slide door bottom right?

------------------
'01 Starlight Silver EX
Totally Newbie now, but learning quick.

·
Registered
596 Posts
What's the use of having such a device, if you are going to get alerts and then dismiss them as false alarms? I would not want one of the systems, unless I could trust it to tell the truth. Of course, in the case of a steep driveway, it is a given that false readings would happen, but, otherwise, one would really have to believe in the thing.

Maybe we should have one of those mirrors like the mail trucks have which show what is up at the rear, Hee! Hee! Or, we could buy a DC van with the automatic liftgate and raise it whenever we reverse......

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree with Jerry...What's the use of having the sensor if it isn't reliably accurate? I was leaning towards having the sensors installed below the bumper instead of on the bumper, but now I am having second thoughts. Anyone out there installed the sensors on the bumper?...\If so....are they reliable in that particular installation area? I haven't got my Ody yet...so, I am looking for answers.

Schnauzer

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yes oddynewbie, I just ran the wire underneath the carpet along the plastic trim at the driver side. Since I installed the controlled unit in the jack department (actually I am glad I did that because I had to adjust the volume several times and disconnect and then re-connect the sensors' wires too), I ran the wire from there. The only plastic piece I had to remove was the driver's side sliding door sill trim.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Poron Sensor settings.
I had to play with settings a long time to cut out so many false alarms. I first moved the senors about 3/4" from the edge of the bumper so I could raise the angle from the ground with out hiting the underside of the bumper. I now have the angle about 10 degrees above level. It is still not perfect but does a good job with a min. or false alarms. I am pleased with the Poron overall.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lotus18:

Somtimes when the voice says it is '2 feet', and as I continue backing up, it changes to '8 feet', and then back to '2 feet' again.
I did not know what to do., but as I keep on backing up slowly, it starts getting accurate again.
</font>
Glad I got the mini3 with the LCD display instead.
I would say its been accurate for me. Other than mine mistake in placing the left sensor tilted little to the left, which will give a false reading even though I know its clear. But I have to be real close, so I can live with that.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi ya folks,

Good point HKDude about angle/tilt of the sensors. Note that most sensors regardless of brand have a fanlike pattern so it will detect object not only directly in front of it but also to the sides.

Now, if the outer sensors are pointed a bit to the sides, then it sense more objects like the curb or another car within the 8ft distance that could occassionally give a false alarm.

If they are aimed directly to the rear, then the false detections will be minimized.

Given the coverage of the sensors, all of the rear plus the sides up to 8ft, I'm not sure if false detections can be eliminated. Same probably goes for other brand sensors.

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

·
Registered
239 Posts
quote: I tried to disconnect the outside 2 sensors anf leave just the center one connected to see if it helps. It helped a little but then I think I'll miss out on the width of the coverage.
As I have said before, I did try to just employ one center sensor, disconnect the outside 2, it helps just a little bit. Sometimes as soon as the reverse gear is selected, the voice already says 2 feet while I am still far away from any obstacle behind. Just do not understand.
However, I am still trying to fine tune the angles of the sensors and I think patience will pay off as I know I am getting somewhere.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts