Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you out there have portable dvd players that you would like to recommend or not recommend? We are looking at them as something we can temporarily have in the van on long trips, but take out to avoid our kids wanting to watch movies all the time. Its hard to picture them in the store, to tell if the screen is big enough or will be affected by angle and lighting. Any suggestions would be welcome.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The 9" Panasonic is very nice.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by turnipgreen:
Any of you out there have portable dvd players that you would like to recommend or not recommend? We are looking at them as something we can temporarily have in the van on long trips, but take out to avoid our kids wanting to watch movies all the time. Its hard to picture them in the store, to tell if the screen is big enough or will be affected by angle and lighting. Any suggestions would be welcome.</font>

------------------
Ron - Ody EX L Navi 2002, silver with fog, subwoofer

·
Registered
254 Posts
i use a sony playstaion2

------------------
2000 lx fern grey with mods

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since a long trip for the holidays was approaching, we went ahead and ordered an 8 inch Sharp. I'm trying to investigate a way to wire the audio out into the van's stereo, I'll post if it works out.

·
Registered
479 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kipsy:
I use an apple ibook !</font>
Hi Kipsy,
I just got an iBook with DVD and was thinking of using it in the car. How does it work? How is image quality during day? How do you handle the sound? Most importantly, how do you secure it so it does not go flying when you hit the brakes? I'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
most of our traveling with the kids has been at night time lately. could benefit from better speakers... how about one of those cassette adapters from portable CD players. strap down is hard to describe. got some nylon straps to fasten to tray.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Any device that outputs to a headphone can be hooked up to one of those devices that outputs to a car casette player.

Here's just one example:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/wildwestelectronics/rp-cc20.html

Do a search on "car casette adapter" and you'll find many more.

Now I have a question that I have yet to find a satisfactory answer to.

I have a laptop computer that plays dvd movies. But it is 12" wide--too wide, I believe, to fit on the tray table. The advantage is that it's a 15 in. screen, much bigger than the built-in entertainment system, plus you could also take it into hotel rooms and have it double as a navi system.

I've read that the tray table extends for use to the second row (we're waiting on three delivery of our ex-l and I didn't investinvestigate the tray table too thorougly during my test drive). Would this afford me a way to strap down my laptop, which is wider than the space between the two front seats?

Alternatively, there are laptop desks designed for cars. But they are designed for front seat use. Does anyone have any experience using these and would they be adaptable for use in the second row?

Here's a link to the Jotto desk.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/nsclub2/jottodesk.html

Anyone with experience with this? Any comments about adaptability to the second row?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I have a laptop computer that plays dvd movies. But it is 12" wide--too wide, I believe, to fit on the tray table. The advantage is that it's a 15 in. screen, much bigger than the built-in entertainment system, plus you could also take it into hotel rooms and have it double as a navi system.

I've read that the tray table extends for use to the second row (we're waiting on three delivery of our ex-l and I didn't investinvestigate the tray table too thorougly during my test drive). Would this afford me a way to strap down my laptop, which is wider than the space between the two front seats?
The tray table is neither particularly sturdy nor is it stable. The road vibration transmitted to the tray could impair viewing. The tray is attached on one side, so this leverage amplifies vehicle movement and bouncing.

I wouldn't use the tray as a base for a laptop unless the attachment to the vehicle could be enhanced. That may be possible, but then you might lose the ability to easily flip the tray out of the way to go between the first and second rows. Of course, one of the permanent consoles would have the same limitation.

Regards,

Maugham

[This message has been edited by Maugham (edited 12-15-2001).]

·
Registered
350 Posts
Found this link to Jotto Desk (western canada, their U.S. link doesn't seem to work).

http://www.jottodeskcanada.com

These desks would seem to work with a laptop or a laptop-type dvd player.

Here's one that doesn't require any screws to be drilled in your precious Odyssey:

http://www.jottodeskcanada.com/htmlvans/5205acd.htm

But it might only work on the front seat of specific vans, you'd have to contact them to find out more:

[email protected]

or toll-free: 1-866-314-5427

Here's a page of desks that require you to drill just a few holes to attach a mounting plate. I believe you can remove the desk and attaching arm when not in use. They would seem to work anywhere in the vehicle:

http://www.jottodeskcanada.com/vans.htm

Anyone have any experience with these desks or similar?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Here's a link to a desk that could hold a laptop. It involves no drilling holes in your precious Honda. Apparently, the base which holds the arm which holds the desk for the laptop or portable dvd device is secured by removing a bolt from your underseat hardware which is then threaded through the desk base. I spoke to the company and they said they have sold it to a couple of minivan owners for the purposes of securing a laptop/dvd player in the second row for passenger use.

They also have a desk which seats on a seat secured by seatbelt.

http://www.mobiledesk.com/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Whay mess with permanent istallations? Take a look at the Suspension Theater. It is the only product on the market specifically designed to hold a portable DVD player. It is available only from All About Portable DVD Players as they are the inventors and patent holders. See it at: www.thislinkgoesnowhere.com

-------------------------------
Jim wrote: The owner of this site hates it when non-Odyssey owners advertise. I thought I'd help you out.

-------------------------------

[This message has been edited by Jim F (edited 12-20-2001).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts