Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just purchased an EX-L with RES and thoroughly enjoying it. I generally don't use a navigation system, but received a portable unit for Christmas.

Has anybody found a great location to mount it?

Currently, it is windshield mounted to the furthest left and lowest spot I could get away with. It doesn't interfere with my view when I drive, but the power cable snakes across the lower dash and dangles near the ignition. I may just try to obtain an extension or longer cable so I could hide the cable under the carpet.

Another option I thought of was to the right of the LCD display, angled towards the driver. It does not interfere with the driver's view of the display, but does obstruct the passenger's view. More difficult is how I would mount the unit.

Thanks for any ideas or recommendations!

·
Registered
50 Posts
We also have an EX-L w/RES (our third) and love it as well! I have our Garmin suction mounted just left of the rear-view mirror. The power cord dangles down, but we've never had a problem with it. I like being able to just glance up slightly, and it's easier to hear.

Someday I'd like to route the power around the windshield so nothing's dangling. Someday.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm currently making a design for a custom made bracket to mount my receiver to the left of the dashboard. I'm planning on using the Add-a-Circuit Mini as discussed in other threads and snaking the power cable up behind the weatherstripping to the top of the dash. The only downsides are that the passenger can't easily input data and the power cable will be more permanent requiring a second power adapter if I'm going to use it for a second vehicle.

However, the bracket will still allow me to remove the unit easily so that I can hand the receiver to the passenger for data input.

I know that I could just use the suction cup on the front winshield, but I just can't stand the look of it.

Lauren

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you have a Garmin, there is an automotive mount kit that Garmin sells. It is an adhesive pad that "permanently" (but removable, then you'll need another adhesive tape disc). You then click on a GPS unit on top of it. We have been using this on our 2001 MDX and it works nicely. The GPS is not permanently left in the car. When not in use, the mounting disc is very low profile.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a Magellan which I've come to realize that there are a lot less options for.

I've hardwired the power cable and am planning on mounting a 1/16 th inch thick neodymium magnet to the far left dash. I'm pretty sure that there aren't any magnetic sensitive components there. The bracket will then just adhere to the magnet. If it turns out that magnet idea doesn't work I may try dual lock - basically a fancy Velcro.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Please note in CA you are not allowed to affix your unit to your windshield---it's the law. Also there were a lot of thefts of these units. Garmin has a "bean bag" mount that you can put on your dash and quickly remove when leaving your car I don't leave mine showing in my parked car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually they amended the law so that you can affix the suction cup to the bottom corners of the windshield. I believe it's a 5 by 5 inch square on the left and a 7 by 7 inch square on the passenger side.

For the Ody, since the windshield is angled so low, abiding by this rule is difficult.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
After trying several things we ended up using the Nav-Mat Dash Pad (Bracketron?). Nothing fancy, looks a little bit bulky but we only use the GPS rather sporadically and swap between cars when needed. It works for any system with suction cup. It is well weighted, so that thing does not move at all even under extreme maneuvering conditions...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw that accessory and think it's a really good product. That's what I'll be buying if my project doesn't turn out as planned. If my idea works out I'll try to post some pics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts