Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a used '09 EX-L from a dealership 6 days ago. This morning, the van would not start (dash lights flickering, etc.), and so I suspected the battery. Looked at the battery, and there was thick corrosion all over the end of the positive cable and battery terminal. I also discovered that the cable's attachment to the terminal was loose enough that, once I had cleaned off the corrosion a little, the cable lifted up and off of the battery without the help of tools.

Anyway, after cleaning some more and fully charging the battery, I decided to put the cable back on and....that's when I discovered that the cable end loosening/tightening bolt/nut are stripped out and do not actually cause anything to move. I can get a good grip on the nut with a 10mm open-end wrench, but it's like there are no good threads on the bolt and it just spins either direction.

The van only has 34,000 miles on it. Even though I just bought it used at a Volkswagen dealer, is this an issue I should be able to take to a Honda dealer for warranty service?

Thanks for any help you guys can give,

Nate

·
Registered
355 Posts
I would take it back to the dealer you bought it from and have them replace it. I'd take a bet that the previous owner had something hooked to the battery and stripped the threads. Not really a big deal it just needs a new bolt and nut.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Greg!

I have it up and running, at least enough to get back to the dealer tomorrow. I wedged a cardboard cylinder (something like a dum-dum sucker stick) in there to keep a friction fit between the cable end and the terminal...

Nate

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The issue has been resolved. The dealer I bought the van installed a new end on the cable and cleaned off any corrosion that was left over. Of course, they could have cleaned up after themselves better under the hood, as there was green bits and splatter marks everywhere, but otherwise the job is done.

Nate

1 - 4 of 4 Posts