Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Possible drivers door hinge damage. Need opinions.

13K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  wktjr 
#1 ·
Today was very windy and gusting, so as fate would have it, the wind pushed the door wide open when my wife was getting in the van tonight. She said you could her something bend (or break) when it happened. It's late, so I can't take a closer look until tomorrow but the door definitely opens wider and the weather stripping doesn't seal at the top of the door.Otherwise, the door still closes properly. I'm assuming (hoping) it's only a hinge issue but won't know more until I can look at it closer. Hinges are cheap but I'm debating if I should even attempt this repair myself (if that's the case). I don't want to get into a warranty issue down the road. I'm thinking I might have to suck it up and pay (out the rear) and have the dealer look at it. That in itself will be a hassle since the dealer is 40 minutes away.

Anyone else have this happen to them and what would you do in this instance?

#2 ·
Tough to know what is broken, but that happened to my other car (Mazda). The door did not get damaged, just the checker itself. The dealer replaced it under warranty as it was cracking when opening and closing. Could not complain :)

If that is the same problem, the part itself is cheap, and, if you are handy you might be able to swap it.

72340-TK8-A01

FRONT DOOR PANELS. Fits: 2011 Honda Odyssey | Sons Honda

#3 ·
The van will be home in a few minutes then I can take a closer look. Regardless, I'm still on the fence. I'm still leaning towards the dealer as a hedge against any future claims warranty wise. Changing it out myself isn't an issue, it's a matter of do I want to. But, need to evaluate first.

#4 ·
If it is under warranty, of course, you should check with the dealer first. The decision you need to make is what you are going to tell them, Should you say that the door just started to make noise and not sealed properly or should you tell them the door was pushed by strong wind? I would do the latter to tell them the truth. The door should be strong enough to withstand normal use and a gust of wind is normal to me.

#5 ·
Yea, looks like an appointment with the dealer is in order. Nothing obvious but the "checker" probably failed inside the door and the adhesive around the hinges is cracked. I'll add to this thread after it's all said and done.

#6 · (Edited)
Update: Took the van to the dealer. Service advisor comes back after 10 minutes saying the there's nothing they can do, door is bent. Our body shop will give you a free estimate. Twenty minutes later I'm holding an estimate for $581.00. They feel they can fix the door and the A pillar looks okay, but being the pessimist I am, it'll probably will cost more after "they found more hidden damage".

#8 ·
I will call Honda directly to see if they could cover this under warranty. One blow and the door is damaged to this degree?

But I think you should get it fixed by Honda, even if that will come out of your own pocket. It is a safety issue. If Honda fixes it, it will be covered by warranty, in case something happens to the occupants inside the car in the future.

#7 ·
Ouch. Some wind that is. Try a repuable indy body shop and see if they have a way to bend it back.

#9 ·
Don't me wrong, they are going to try and fix the door. The dealer network that owns the shop, and where I bought the van, has a very good rep.

I will call Honda directly to see if they could cover this under warranty. One blow and the door is damaged to this degree?

But I think you should get it fixed by Honda, even if that will come out of your own pocket. It is a safety issue. If Honda fixes it, it will be covered by warranty, in case something happens to the occupants inside the car in the future.
Gusts were very bad that day 40-50 mph. Just bad luck on my wifes part. Honda won't cover this, but that's why I took it back to the dealer and I'm going to their repair shop. This way I can argue any warranty issues in the future.

#10 ·
I'm now $588.00 poorer but they did a good job. Two new hinges and the rest was paint and labor. I also had a "we owe" from when I bought the van (a year ago) that repaired a gouge in the front cover under the drivers fog light. They had to clear coat the whole front bumper cover but I guess there is no way around that. And, lifetime guarantee on their work.

#12 ·
Happy to hear it turned out alright but I got to tell you, I live in the windiest city in Canada according to the weather network and I've had doors pulled away from me in winds twice as strong as you're describing without any damage....much to my own amazement. You must have caught the wrong gust at the wrong second. Bad luck.

#13 ·
You have 160km/h winds? Pretty cool! My daughter could finally get her kite off the ground.

Anyways, back to the op; glad it's resolved to your satisfaction. We had a close call a few months ago (though it wasn't quite that windy). Those huge doors act like a huge mast, I was surprised how much more difficult they were to handle than doors on our sedan.

#14 ·
Have to go back to Sept of 2011 for last time we exceeded 160kms (100 mph) in my city although common in another part of province. Lost most of my mature trees that time. Forecasts of potentially damaging winds in the 100 to 120 range are a monthly occurrence. I'd be glad to help with the kite and provide beer for dads.

#15 ·
wow, that's very impressive. Closest I got to that area was a couple hours East of Sept Iles, and I also visited some places in Gaspesie. If/When I return, I'll be sure to wear my new underwear. With those winds, I might have a bad surprise if the elastics are old and flimsy. I certainly appreciate the beer offer :)

op, I apologize for the off topic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.