Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a couple of months of searching for a low mileage Honda Odyssey, we finally purchased a 2010 EX-L with 18K miles. Our old car had over 150K, so it was time. Just sat down with the vehicle manuals to learn how to use the features, and my heart sunk when I read page 15 of the Consumer Information booklet. The page was dog-eared, and it talked about America Honda having to buy back a car after having "a reasonable number of attempts to conform the vehicle to its applicable express warranties if, within eighteen months from delivery to the buyer or 18,000 miles on the vehicle's odometer...". The original owner had it for 17 months and sold it with 17,800 on the odometer. Seems like too much of a coincidence. I have two days to return the car, which is still under the factory warranty and also has a Honda Certified warranty for 7 years or 100K miles. The Car Fax the dealer provided shows it's clean.

Can anyone tell me if:

-I can get the service records from the dealer who sold it (not the same dealer I purchased from)
-Find out if Honda America purchased the vehicle back from the original owner.

Any other advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
In California, if a car was returned using the state's lemon law provisions, it is illegal for that car to be resold in California.

Chrysler violated this law several times, and was barred from selling cars in California for a few months.

That said, this could be a lemon from another state. Not sure how California law addresses that.

OF

·
Registered
447 Posts
I don't know about lemon laws but if it was a good deal, I'd just keep it. You have the factory warranty plus extended warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know about lemon laws but if it was a good deal, I'd just keep it. You have the factory warranty plus extended warranty.
Thanks for the response. It still has 18 months of factory warranty, so that gives us a lot of comfort. I spoke with an attorney and as long as it's under the original mfg warranty we have some protection. I guess Lemon Laundering is very common here in California according to the attorney. One thought is to get a warranty history from Honda. Does anyone know how that database works? Can they remove service that was done? If the place I purchased it from prints the history for me can they selectively omit services?

·
Registered
318 Posts
When I tried to find the service history of my used Ody, I was told that I would need to independently contact any and all Honda dealers that may have worked on the vehicle and ask them for a copy of their records (and they each may choose to charge me if they had to mail or fax the info to me)

I figured that was way too random to even bother.

As for Car Fax - it is worthless when it shows clean. The only value it has is if it shows something

clean = the same as something just not properly reported, which happens all the time.

IMO - if you can return it with no issues, I would.

One thing I have learned in dealing with cars, there are SOME problems that can just never be fixed, even by the factory.

·
Registered
641 Posts
The real question is... Is there something wrong with the vehicle right now?? If not, why are you worried? Is the ONLY thing that got you started on this fear of it being a lemon the fact that the Lemon Law section of the manual was dog-eared and the fact that the vehicle had just under 18K miles and is just under 18 months old?? Seems like you are just too paranoid to me...

In any case, you have factory bumper to bumper remaining AND you have a Certified warranty to 7Yr/100K miles. ANY issues with the vehicle you would notice WAY before the end of your warranty and you can just make them work on it until it's all fixed up (at no cost to you).

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
We haven't purchased a new car since 2003. Three used cars since then to suit our needs. Like you, we see the value in that.

Drives okay? Yup. Seems to be mechanically sound? Roger that. Good warranties still on board? Check!

Personally, I'm in line with a lot of the other posters: enjoy the ride. Remember, lemon laws paint a broad spectrum. For example, if the vehicle had an annoying highway humming noise to a driver with tinnitus (ringing ears), and it couldn't be resolved in 3 attempts....man, that's a nit-picky way to be rid of a car, but it's important to that guy, but may be unnoticeable to you.

In short, I think you found a nice van. I'd dare say, I'm a little envious. 2-year-old family mover with only 18,000 miles? That's a good find.

OF

·
Registered
632 Posts
Thats a good find. You have factory backed warranty so I dont worry about it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
LOL

I guess I must be the only person here that has owned a car that had such problems the factory backed warranty could not resolve them and due to dealer trickery on the paperwork, I could not lemon law the vehicle. My answer was to trade it in, and some other unlucky fool got stuck with the problems.

I don't know how you would figure out the vehicle history (the honest history, not a crappy car fax), but if there were any indications someone else got rid of it because it had problems, I would run away from it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
When I tried to find the service history of my used Ody, I was told that I would need to independently contact any and all Honda dealers that may have worked on the vehicle and ask them for a copy of their records (and they each may choose to charge me if they had to mail or fax the info to me)

I figured that was way too random to even bother.

As for Car Fax - it is worthless when it shows clean. The only value it has is if it shows something

clean = the same as something just not properly reported, which happens all the time.

IMO - if you can return it with no issues, I would.

One thing I have learned in dealing with cars, there are SOME problems that can just never be fixed, even by the factory.
Carfax will tell you where the car was bought origionally. That will narrow it down to one or 3 dealers where it probably was serviced. (most likely it was serviced within 30 miles of where it was bought, very likely it was same dealer) Then you can ask them for service records. Carfax will also tell if it was in a major accident, so I think it is worth it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow! Love this forum. Thanks to everyone here for taking the time. Megatron, you are right, I tend to be a bit on the paranoid side - once bitten twice shy. Kenny1773 seems to have been there as well. Odyfamily after turning in a 2002 with tons of miles, the wifey and me are in seventh heaven driving this amazing vehicle!

Been unsuccessful in getting the maintenance records, but tonight is the deadline, so I'm going to make an all out effort from now. Last resort will be to ask the dealership to show me the history. Still not sure if only the actual dealership that serviced the records had them or if there is a national Honda database all dealers can tap into. Friend of a friend at Honda America said only servicing dealer has it?

The car drives great, but I have noticed it pulls to the right pretty hard at high speeds. I thought it was the slope of the freeways, but now I'm not sure. It doesn't happen all the time. I did some checking and I guess there have been some issues with memory steering, but seems mainly on the 2008. Pages and pages of people with the issue, so I think it's something:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/9-problems-concerns/5079-alignment-problem-pulls-left-right-2.html

Honda Odyssey Alignment Problems - Car Forums - Edmunds

I want to keep this car so badly and hope for the best, but I'm carting around 3 kids on long drives to sporting events. Just want a safe, hassle free ride.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Carfax will tell you where the car was bought origionally.
that might be helpful to the OP, at least that way he only has a handful of dealers to call and see if they have record of the VIN

Carfax will also tell if it was in a major accident, so I think it is worth it.
No, it is not 100% guaranteed that car fax will tell you of accidents(major or otherwise). I know this 100% for a fact as I sold a car with a clean car fax that was in a major accident, but the car fax never showed it :) This was fairly recently. Think what you want, I lived a different experience.

The reporting system is not 100%

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that might be helpful to the OP, at least that way he only has a handful of dealers to call and see if they have record of the VIN

No, it is not 100% guaranteed that car fax will tell you of accidents(major or otherwise). I know this 100% for a fact as I sold a car with a clean car fax that was in a major accident, but the car fax never showed it :) This was fairly recently. Think what you want, I lived a different experience.

Yes, I have the CarFax and it looks clean, but don't think that's 100% guaranteed. Trying to get the info from the original dealership, but having trouble getting a live person on the line. Checked with a local Honda dealership and they confirmed that only the dealer that did the service has the records. Guess that many of you already knew that.

·
Registered
447 Posts

Who said anything about 100%?? The only way to get 100% is to buy NEW.
But if the accident IS on Carfax, YOU ARE 100% sure that car was in an accident.
IMO that's worth the $30 spent on Carfax. Not perfect but it is one more tool to avoid
a bad used car.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yes, I have the CarFax and it looks clean, but don't think that's 100% guaranteed. Trying to get the info from the original dealership, but having trouble getting a live person on the line. Checked with a local Honda dealership and they confirmed that only the dealer that did the service has the records. Guess that many of you already knew that.
Was this a "certified" used car from a Honda dealer? If so you might ask them (and/or check your sales contract) how they certify and do they check for cars taken back for lemon laws.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
That's a good idea - I'll ask about any checking for "lemons", but my guess is the CarFax is all they do on that. I know the Certification process includes a 150 point inspection. If anything is not up to standard it's replaced. Lots of their certified cars have new tires. The sales person told me it costs them $2.5K to do it, but that sounds high to me.

I'm supposed to be getting a fax of the history from the original selling dealer who did the service for the 1st owner any time now. The service advisor said there wasn't much on the history. Fingers crossed...

·
Registered
539 Posts
That's a good idea - I'll ask about any checking for "lemons", but my guess is the CarFax is all they do on that. I know the Certification process includes a 150 point inspection. If anything is not up to standard it's replaced. Lots of their certified cars have new tires. The sales person told me it costs them $2.5K to do it, but that sounds high to me.

I'm supposed to be getting a fax of the history from the original selling dealer who did the service for the 1st owner any time now. The service advisor said there wasn't much on the history. Fingers crossed...
Not surprising. Not much service in the first 18K miles other than oil changes, and the original owner may have had those done at a quik-lube place for which the records probably weren't kept (dealers almost never pass this info along with a used car from what I have seen - even if it is carefully included in a folder from the original owner). CPO (certified pre-owned) cars may be an exception to this rule but I've never bought one of those.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts