Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my son was born over a year ago, my husband and I have to drive separate vehicles whenever we travel as a family. This is due to the fact that my Odyssey is a 7 passenger van and we have 6 kids.:) We are planning a long trip this summer and do not want to have to drive separate vehicles, as it would be cheaper (gas wise) to drive one. His idea is to separate the middle seats into captain seats and place a high back booster in the middle, which would rest on the captain seats and be latched to the system behind the seats. I would like to know if anyone has tried this and if it is even legal to do. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have you considered investing in a van that can move your entire family? Perhaps a Ford E-Series passenger van?

Built to provide seating for 7-, 8-, 11-, 12- and 15-passengers, E-series Wagons get people moving to where they need to go.
In my country, I think it's only legal to drive with as many passengers as you have seat belts.

I'm in Canada.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Doll95 - I'm sure you are concerned for the safety and well-being of each and every one of your children. The best (and only) way to transport a family of your size (2 adults, 6 kids) is to have a vehicle that has provisions for proper, and legal, seating capacity for every person in the household.

While it'd be a shame to have to change your Odyssey (what year ? model ?) to do so, I'm sure you and everyone here would agree that would be the best possible solution.

So what is the year and model of your Ody ? Also, what are the ages of your 6 kids and how many are in rear-facing carseat, front-facing carseat, booster, etc ?

AFAIK, any '05-'10 Ody that are below the Touring model have 8-person capacity as long as the 2nd row has the PlusOne seat (center) and a corresponding shoulder belt (in ceiling). For the Touring model, only '08 and onward comes with the PlusOne seating and seatbelt. But the PlusOne seat does NOT allow accommodating a child carseat or booster, AFAIK.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have a 2001 and cannot afford a new van right now. I have two kids in high backed booster seats and one in a regular booster.
I appreciate the help from both of you, but now I no longer need to worry about this, as we just got good news about the trip. Some friends of ours have a new Suburban which they are going to let us use! So, my stress has been allleviated. :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
We have a 2001 and cannot afford a new van right now. I have two kids in high backed booster seats and one in a regular booster.
I appreciate the help from both of you, but now I no longer need to worry about this, as we just got good news about the trip. Some friends of ours have a new Suburban which they are going to let us use! So, my stress has been allleviated. :)
It turns out the PlusOne seat (2nd row middle) can accommodate rear-facing carseat:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/150177-car-seat-center-2nd-row.html

Good thing you got a Suburban. Those things are big but sure handy when you need 'em. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts