Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been researching for the past 3 months and this is what I ended up with:

4 235/65/R16 Blizzak WS-70s from Costco (w $70 rebate)
- balancing and mounting on steel rims
- one vehicle install
- flashing of TPMS sensors
Sub-total all in: $706

4 Honda steelies
- 20 Honda lug nuts
- 4 Honda TPMS sensors
Sub-total all in: $750

Total all in: $1456

Seems high at first glance, but considering this price includes sensors, flashing, install as well as OEM hardware, it's not bad. What's your experience?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Seems about right for all that stuff.

We paid more for our tires because they are Nokians but I think paid a little less for the rims n stuff.

Cheers.

·
Registered
441 Posts
For the lugs and sensors, I would order them from a US dealer and have them shipped.

As an example, the lugs for the steel rims cost $6 each here vs just under $3 each in the US (here's the link: http://www.hondapartscheap.com/southbay/jsp/prddisplay.jsp?hidSwitch=Switch&hidIrno=|011|014&catcgry1=ODYSSEY&catcgry2=2005&catcgry3=5DR+LX&catcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=WHEEL+(KA)&vinsrch=no&ListAll=&prdrefno=&act=&count=0&quantity=0&qty0=1)

Mind you, I had mine shipped to a relatives place just accross the border so I saved a bunch in shipping.

As for the rims, I found a set of OEM EX-L rims on kijiji for $300 and just put my summers on those and bought a set of bridgestone blizzaks ws-60 for the steelies.

The whole cost was:

Tires: $700
Rims: $300
Lugs: $60
Installation: $60 (Balancing, mounting, etc)
Total cost: $1120

I also remember last year that a number of dealerships here in London were selling Toyo and Bridgestone winter tire setups (Tires, rims, install, etc) for about $1000. Call the closest dealership to you and see if they have any deals.

·
Registered
513 Posts
First winter, so buying tires. We thought about rims but no budget for it this year.

We looked at Blizzac WS-70, General Artic Alpin and Continental ExtremeWinterContact but it looks like we'll be getting BF Goodrich Winter Slalom KSI. They were recommended by someone who has a Pilot and they should be good on snow. They are 133$CAD shipped from pmctire.com, for narrower tires, 225/70R16.

Nicolas

·
Registered
506 Posts
Anybody have experience with Toyo G02's?

Nokian seems to be hard to get around here now and very expensive.

I was told by a sales guy who sells both that the toyo will be same performance but save $75 per tire.

I always like my Nokians but may goto the Toyo's if the reviews are good.

Cheers.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Feedback from friends with Toyo Winter's is very positive. Another winter you may want to look into is the Yokohama.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Snobike Mike said:
Anybody have experience with Toyo G02's?...
I can vouch for them. I had them on 2 previous vehicles and they were great on snow and ice. They would've been my next choice if not for the Costco rebate on the WS-70s.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Did the Toyo's last a long time?

My Hakka's were still great after 5 seasons.

Cheers.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Snobike Mike said:
Did the Toyo's last a long time?

My Hakka's were still great after 5 seasons.

Cheers.
In each case I had them for no more than 2-3 years as I got rid of one vehicle and my son crashed the other. They still looked new and I felt they could have easily gone another 2-3 years. So 5 seasons would be conservative.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I used Tiretrends last fall and was quite happy.

About 1100$ to my door for 4 tires, steelies. And it took about 4 days.

Costco assured me they had nothing to fit an Ody - but I think it was an inventory issue ....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just called my local honda dealership and was quoted $85 per steelie and $50 per tire for the tpms so that's:

$340 for the steelies
$200 for the tpms
$150 for mount and balance.

Total: $690 (I already have winter tires)

This is in Edmonton.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Going to buy out my 07 Ody Touring. Don't see a real reason to change it as it's in great condition and though the 2011 models are really nice, what is really nice is not having to do monthly payments for awhile.

Anyways, snow tire question:

I have the blizzaks and they are almost near the 6/32" mark and thinking of changing them. I know it is recommended but, seems like a waste as it appears to have some good tread depth left.

If I do change, I'm also thinking of going to a narrower tire (225/70/R16) as I found that the 235's were not gripping that well and blizzak's are really good tires as I have them on my other car.

So, will my current 16" steelies fit the narrower tire?

Any recommendations on brand and place to get winters? I got my blizzaks at the dealership and cost me a fortune. Already have the TPMS sensors so, I presume I could re-use those.

Thanks,

Oh, I'm in the GTA.

·
Registered
513 Posts
We have an 07 we bought in the spring and I just bought used Toyo GE-02 winter tires. They were made in 2008 and have 11/32 left of their original 13/32. They cost me 275$. First time buying used tires, we liked the idea of spending less right now...

One place I was looking at for new tires is pmctire.com, a new Quebec online tire shop. They have the Toyos I got for 163$ per tire, so I figure I got an ok deal if the used ones last 3 winters.

Edit: Forgot to say the tires are 225/70R16s and they will fit. Honda says to stay within 3% of the OEM diameter and I think the 225/70s are within 1.5%...

Nicolas

P.s. No affiliation, never bought from pmctire, just like the idea of a TireRack for the great white North...

·
Registered
513 Posts
nicomtl said:
We have an 07 we bought in the spring and I just bought used Toyo GE-02 winter tires. They were made in 2008 and have 11/32 left of their original 13/32. They cost me 275$. First time buying used tires, we liked the idea of spending less right now...
Have had the Toyos on for a few days now and we are only getting snow in a couple of days but so far two things are very obvious: these tires ride much softer than the Michelin OEMs, which is good, but they are a LOT noisier, with a big droning sound that matches the car's speed.

Eh, can't have big snow handling tires without noise, I guess...

Nicolas

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got 4 - Blizzak WS70 from Costco ready to go.

Mounted on new Honda Steelies, Sensors, Hub Caps and Lugs.

Had a day of snow last week, but I should be able make it into December before I make the switch.

Seriousy considerd the Toyos Winter G02's but Costco price couldn't be beat.

When I swap the wheels I'll drop back into Costco to Flash the Sensors.

Hopefully it all works out.

Just got the van in September, coming from an 04 Sienna CE w/ DVD, I don't see much difference between the two, although I find the Honda brakes anemic for stopping power, I think a Pad Material upgrade will be in the works.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Do try US shops like Tirerack.com

I bought four Blizzak Revo1s in 2008 (discontinued) ... for 78$ each. Love these tires ! There might be deals as the Blizzak WS60 is phased-out to make room for the WS70. The Sentra has the WS60, and the MPV before it had the WS50.

My original 2003 winter kit was take-off steelies with take-off Accord wheel covers and new Pirelli Scorpion tires from TireTrends.com in Vancouver for a bit less than 1000$. The Pirellis were pure crap, ditched them after the 4th winter.

The steelies are still shiny black thanks to yearly waxing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV here as I am running 18 inch OEM touring wheels for winters. These are outstanding for their self - clearing abilities. Would appreciate this aspect even more if I was somewhere that had more snow coverage throughout the winter.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts