Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m an inherently distrustful person especially when it comes to cars so whenever I buy a used car I always do a full service on it myself.

My wife purchased an 07 Touring last week so after much reading a searching I put together a list of maintance work that needed to be completed to make me happy.

Van: 2007 Honda Odyssey Touring 83,216 KM

The List:

Oil and Filter change:
Note: I stuck to regular dino oil this time and in a month or two will switch to a full synthetic.
Parts used: Honda Filter, 5 Liter jug of Castrol 5-20.
Cost: $21.81
Condition: The oil was nasty, stinky and dirty, do flush again after 500KM.

Air Filter:
Condition: Nasty and dirty, and coated with a very sticky black substance. I don’t think it was the original but sure was nasty.

Parts Used: Honda air Filter.
Cost: $32.40

Cabin Filter:
Condition: This one I’m sure was the original. Very dirty with lots of loose dirty.
Photo with flash showing all the loose dirty in between the folds.

Parts Used: Honda Cabin Filter.
Cost: $67.95

Power Steering Flush & Reservoir Replacement.
Note: We were having PS whine noise after the van warmed up.
This is where the forums really helped. I found CNN’s DIY walkthrough and had it finished in about 20mins. Thanks cnn!!
Condition:The fluid was nasty. Very dirty and thick there were loose particles at the bottom of the tank.
Parts Used: Updated Fluid Reservoir, Reservoir Cap, 6 bottles of Honda PS Fluid.
Cost: $63
Link to DIY Post Part 1
Link to DIY Post Part 2

Transmission Fluid Flush.
Again thanks to the Forum and CNN’s write-up I had this completed and 3x3 flushed in about 30 minutes.
Condition: The transmission plug had a coating of sludge on it but it wasn’t as bad as some of the pictures I’ve seen and the fluid wasn’t that bad either leading me to believe that the transmission had been serviced by the previous owners at some point.
Parts Used: 12 liters of ATF-DW1 and 1 bottle of brake cleaner.
Cost: $106.00
Link to DIY Thread
Note: I did break some clibs holing the splash shield in place when I was removing them so I ordered new ones from ClipsAndFasteners.com - Automotive Retainers,Clips and Fasteners
I pad $17.60 with shipping for 25 of each of the styles of clips I broke. Now I'll have lots of extra for future projects.

Tire Rotation.
Condition: The tires looked almost new but I figured it was worth a rotation anyway since the van was already off the ground.
Parts Used: Nothing.
Cost: Nothing
Note: My tires were filled with nitrogen and two were down so I topped them up with air from my compressor.

Brake Fluid Flush.
I was all ready to do this until I went to the dealer to get all my parts. They checked and my van needs the master cylinder recall done so they said they would flush the system while its in for the recall.

Total Time: 3 hours with test drives.
Total Cost: $308.76

Overall I’m happy knowing that the van is up to date with everything that it needs and we won’t need to touch it again until the plugs are due later this year.

EDIT: I have since leaned that I overpaid for some of these products but I didn't have the time to wait for things to be shipped as I have very limited free time on my weekends. I've already ordered extra filters online etc for future work.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Overpaid or not, you saved a ton from having a dealer do that work. Would have been double your cost easily. I was suprised to see the cabin air filter being almost $70. Is that cdn$.

Anyway, nice job. There is always a good feeling of accomplishment having done that work.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Good Job!

It looks to me that the van was poorly maintained prior to your purchase, but glad now it is in your hands and will be taken care of very well. Some vehicle owners are so oblivious to maintenance (evidenced in your photos showing dirty filters etc.).

To add to your experience, in case others need the DIY below: I build the wood ramps (using 2x10 lumber) for oil changes in my vehicles. It makes oil changing a snap:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/14-pe...ssey-engine-oil-change-made-sweet-simple.html

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Overpaid or not, you saved a ton from having a dealer do that work. Would have been double your cost easily. I was suprised to see the cabin air filter being almost $70. Is that cdn$.

Anyway, nice job. There is always a good feeling of accomplishment having done that work.
Yes it's a CDN price for the filter. I'm always happy to do the work myself when I can. There is nothing like the satisfaction of completing a task yourself.:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks CNN your hard work on those DIY's really did save me quite a bit of time. The Honda dealer did confirm that it had visited it's dealer in the past but for what they wouldn't tell me. It did have a Honda oil filter on it so at least thats a small positive sign.

Thanks for the link to your ramps!

Good Job!

It looks to me that the van was poorly maintained prior to your purchase, but glad now it is in your hands and will be taken care of very well. Some vehicle owners are so oblivious to maintenance (evidenced in your photos showing dirty filters etc.).

To add to your experience, in case others need the DIY below: I build the wood ramps (using 2x10 lumber) for oil changes in my vehicles. It makes oil changing a snap:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/14-pe...ssey-engine-oil-change-made-sweet-simple.html

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Transmission Fluid Flush.
Again thanks to the Forum and CNN’s write-up I had this completed and 3x3 flushed in about 30 minutes.
Condition: The transmission plug had a coating of sludge on it but it wasn’t as bad as some of the pictures I’ve seen and the fluid wasn’t that bad either leading me to believe that the transmission had been serviced by the previous owners at some point.
Parts Used: 12 liters of ATF-DW1 and 1 bottle of brake cleaner.
Cost: $106.00
Link to DIY Thread
Note: I did break some clips holing the splash shield in place when I was removing them so I ordered new ones from ClipsAndFasteners.com - Automotive Retainers,Clips and Fasteners
With 83,000 miles I would suggest going ASAP to a full Synthetic ATF such as Mobil-1 or Red Line D4-ATF. The Honda brand you used is their Z1 replacement and it has even more friction modifiers that the Z1 -- i.e. more clutch plate slippage leading to earlier failure.

Get the Hopkins Measu-Funnel at Wal-Mart and put the tube on the outside of the dipstick hole -- you can just glug in the ATF.

Get some trim clip removal pliers -- it makes removing the bumper and splash shield sooooo easy.

There is lots of searchable material on all of this.

Otherwise, keep up the good work! :)

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
With 83,000 miles I would suggest going ASAP to a full Synthetic ATF such as Mobil-1 or Red Line D4-ATF. The Honda brand you used is their Z1 replacement and it has even more friction modifiers that the Z1 -- i.e. more clutch plate slippage leading to earlier failure.
Are you saying that ATF-DW1 is worse than ATF-Z1?
Interesting!

I am thinking about switching to Mobil1 Synthetic ATF for my Ody Trans: just a thought for now

PS: I use Mobil1 Synthetic ATF in my Volvo Trans and love it.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Interesting!

I am thinking about switching to Mobil1 Synthetic ATF for my Ody Trans: just a thought for now

Also, I did an internet search using keyword "ATF-DW1 vs ATF-Z1" and got an "earful" LOL!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With 83,000 miles

Get some trim clip removal pliers -- it makes removing the bumper and splash shield sooooo easy.

There is lots of searchable material on all of this.

Otherwise, keep up the good work! :)
It's actually 83,000KM so I figured I would stick with the Honda ATF until the powertrain warranty runs out at the end of the year.

I have one of those pliers but mine seemed either stuck or just fell apart. Maybe it's those cold Canadian winters.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Interesting!

Also, I did an internet search using keyword "ATF-DW1 vs ATF-Z1" and got an "earful" LOL!!!
So what is the cliff notes version of the thinking between the new ATF-DW1 and Z1. I thought I had read that the DW1 was synthetic so I thought it may hold up better under heat stress.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
You'll get a pant-load of opinions in regards to which ATF to use in your Honda.

Personally, I can't see using anything other than Valvoline Maxlife ATF for a Z1 spec'd Honda AT. It's an amazingly good ATF for the money and has proven over and over to perform excellently in Hondas.

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/Maxlife_ATF.pdf

Joel

·
Registered
613 Posts
FWIW, many of my clips also disintegrated when I removed them unlike other cars I have worked on. Thanks for link, have seen some high priced alternative sites. I have 60k on my van and looking to do trans fluid change, I know I should read all 1200 posts on the subject....(rolling eyes) but would like faster way to find an approved type fluid. I use Mobil 1 oil, is the tranny fluid rated for Honda? I know many mfgs have their own tranny fluid mixture, like Chrysler for instance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts