Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first Ody (2006 EX-L) had a Gates timing belt kit put on at 185000 miles and failed at 208000 where a leak swelled the timing belt and caused it to jump time. This was installed right before I purchased the vehicle. I then purchased a 2006 Touring model instead of replacing the engine on the old one. This one had 210000 miles but a NAPA timing and water pump installed at 145000k.
New (to me) van was bought less than a month before a job move from Kansas to Montreal so I had no time to maintain the new van. A couple of weeks ago (current mileage is 214000 miles, or 344000km as I'm now in Quebec) I find a puddle of coolant under the van and directly above the serpentine belt. I couldn't trace the source but was worried about another timing belt failure. I purchased the full Aisin kit (TKH-002 with belt, water pump, idler and tensioner pulley, and hydraulic tensioner) from Amazon for $185CAD along with replacement Honda bolts for the two pulleys and hydraulic tensioner (as recommended by John Clark). I really wanted to attempt the repair my myself but without a garage at the new house and a lack of time, I took the kit to a local independent shop who charged 5.5 hours of labor at $100 an hour to install.

So if for nothing else but to show everyone what a NAPA timing belt and water pump look like after 70000 miles, I wanted to show the pictures of the old parts after the shop installed the new kit.

As suspected, the water pump seal/gasket had failed and begun leaking. You can see lots of gunk and buildup outside of the gasket. The pulley still seemed to turn ok. The NAPA belt still seemed to be in decent shape but this condition is difficult to judge. The hydraulic tensioner seemed to have a little oil outside the piston and most likely needed to be replaced. There is also an Aisin stamp on this part so I'm not for sure if it is original or has been replaced at some time. Both pulleys still felt good and could possible still be the original ones from Koyo. So overall I am glad I had everything replaced as I now have some of my piece of mind back. Everything so far looks and sounds good on the engine.

And finally, thanks to this community for the great references and support to keep these Odys maintained and running!

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Congrats on finally getting an Aisin Kit. It’s the only good option out there other than Honda and it is equivalent to Honda for much less money.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Amazing crappy quality. Another member on, driveaccord.net recently posted his failed Gates pump also, used only for 14000 miles, started weeping coolant. Many other posts on acurazine.net with failed Gates water pump, 3rd picture below.

I personally used an Aisin pump for 100k miles and the water pump bearing started grinding a bit, no leaks however, so I went back to all OEM components for the engine. You can find OEM Honda Yamada water pump for as low as $95 if you look around. Lastly, stay away from claimed OEM timing belt kits on ebay or Amazon, they are mostly counterfeit switch-and-swapped parts. I came across a Honda Odyssey with a blown engine just a few months ago at Honda because the dude used some ultra cheap timing belt kit where the belt snapped.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts