Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I am looking to buy 08 ex-l for my family. It is our first minivan and my wife is not really happy with it. Having 2 small kids in our suv, we feel we need more space, and narrowed down to Honda Odyssey and MB R350.
Now what are your thoughts, recommendations about the 08 ex-l? any known issues, anything we should look out for? My wife wants R350 but their Retail Value and Trade Value just doesn't make sense(Almost $10k difference). Any input would be appreciated, Cheers!!!
By the way we are in Lexus Rx400h right now.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The '08 EX-L would be good, but from what you've said, I would look for a Touring. The MB is definitely not in the same class because of the space/wagon. Gas is also a factor, MB 14/19.

If the spousal unit is not happy, maybe you should consider her way or you'll be hearing about it afterwards.

my .03

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hi All, I am looking to buy 08 ex-l for my family. It is our first minivan and my wife is not really happy with it. Having 2 small kids in our suv, we feel we need more space, and narrowed down to Honda Odyssey and MB R350.
Now what are your thoughts, recommendations about the 08 ex-l? any known issues, anything we should look out for? My wife wants R350 but their Retail Value and Trade Value just doesn't make sense(Almost $10k difference). Any input would be appreciated, Cheers!!!
I think first thing is to address your wife's preference. A R350 is not a comparable vehicle to the Ody. One is a Mercedes crossover and the other is a Honda minivan. Since you say your wife is not happy with the Ody, you need to find out why. Does she like the Mercedes name and status and luxury features? Because if she is really after more space, there is no way that anything really matches up to the space of a minivan.

If she likes the luxuries and amenities, then maybe you should show her an 08 Touring instead of the EX-L? But even that won't compare to the Merecedes.

I don't know what else to say... seems like you are comparing apples to oranges.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My family just bought one and we absolutely love it. We went with the EX-L w/ entertainment system. My only complaint is that the cabin is noisy on the highway. Seats are great and I would shop around to get a Honda Certified van.

·
Registered
174 Posts
What kind of SUV is she coming out of? If her current vehicle is a BMW/MB/Audi/Lexus, then she won't be happy no matter what, you know?

I like the run flat tires & the other acoutrements that came with the Touring, many people will tell you the Touring is a ripoff, but all the little differences add up to a very fine vehicle, IMHO, and I came out of an 09 TSX Tech w/6MT.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have one of each, both 2009s, and the R is a serious pain on a day-to-day basis compared to the Ody. The MB's rear doors are loooong and open like regular sedan doors, so parking close to someone else makes getting out of the back seats a real adventure: The Ody's sliding doors are a godsend. We've had trouble with the MB's hatch, three times in for warranty repair and two other trips for braking vibration and an engine start issue (the Ody has been bulletproof). Plus the mileage on the R is much lower, and it requires premium gas. Plus it feels bigger and harder to park than the Ody... and my devious Beloved is always angling to get me to drive the MB while she drives the preferable Honda, using her considerable wiles and trickery to get her way (even though she picked out the Mercedes)... :frown:

I love the R350's Lear Jet interior, but I should have bought us an Ody Touring each, and used the extra $20K for a very nice 2-week vacation somewhere. Once we get close to the end of the warranty period on the MB, I'll be getting rid of it for sure... :nothappy:

·
Registered
54 Posts
As others indicated, what makes the wife happy is the way to go. My wife knows I'm a Honda man and she really doesn't care what she drives as long as its reliable. She asked me to find an Odyssey, I did, she liked it and we've been great for over 5 years in it. It's so much easier to load, unload, cargo space etc. The DVD keeps the kids occupied. I have other friends that the wife has to have an SUV or sedan and that's their prerogative.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts