Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if anyone has first-hand experience with PA Farenheit or Power Acoustik LCD screens. These names have come up on this forum, seems like the quality isn't the same as some of the bigger names.

I would really like to hear from someone who has actually installed this in their van. The price diff.is significant, about 50% of the bigger names like Panasonic or Pioneer.

Thank You

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I would really like to hear from someone who has actually installed this in their van. The price diff.is significant, about 50% of the bigger names like Panasonic or Pioneer. </font>
Mmmm-hmmmm. And the price difference from a Civic down to a Kia is significant, too.

There's usually a reason for that.

You bought a Honda for a good reason. Keep that in mind as you shop for accessories.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
There is a member of this forum, user name Viskha who bought a Farhenheit screen. Take a look at this thread:

http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000400.html

However, he had some problems with noise on his screen:

http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000429.html

You may wanna follow up with him to see if he has resolved his issues.

Personally, I've not been impressed with the quality of PA/Farenheit and other off brands that I've seen. But then again, my standards/opinion could differ from yours. Really the best thing is to try and demo yourself so you can make your own judgement. Use opinions as a reference point, but make your own judgement based on your own standards.

I think Panasonic screens are pretty good price/quality, and the drop down 6800 is available for bargain prices these days. I'm talking $400-$600 for this model on the net. Not a bad option, but keep in mind it's 4:3, not 16:9.

My 2 cents.
-SJ

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

p.s.- Since you live in SJ, go check out Fry's. They have some PA/Farenheit and also MA Audio. You can compare diectly with Panasonic...

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 02-15-2002).]

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I think Panasonic screens are pretty good price/quality</font>
That's called VALUE.

Let's get back to some basics: "it's a value" or "it's their value line" is not a substitute for the phrase "it's cheap".

It's too bad that the marketing industry has taken over the word "value" and is using it instead of "it's our cheapest model". In doing all this, they're severely misusing the word "value".

So whatever you're buying, whenever you see the word "value" just run fast and hard the other direction. Nowadays, that word is an indication that some marketing huckster is showing you his cheapest product (but wants you to think you're actually getting something worthwhile for the very little money you're spending).

Flip down screens, cruises, lawnmowers, whatever--"it's our value line" should make you shudder with fear at the thought of buying it, because it's not a value at all. It's just the cheapest thing you can buy, which almost always is not worth the time or effort.

The Car Talk guys say it best: it's the cheapest man who spends the most.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help and wisdom everyone. Shinjohn, thanks for the tip, I will contact Viskha.
I didn't realize Frys carried those brands. I will definitely check them out. I am trying to decide between 4:3 and 16:9, but leaning toward 16:9 because I don't want to loose the effective viewing area to the black bars. Why is it that 16:9 screens are so much more expensive than 4:3 ? That was the main reason I started looking at 'off'brands.

I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sgoyal:

I didn't realize Frys carried those brands. I will definitely check them out. I am trying to decide between 4:3 and 16:9, but leaning toward 16:9 because I don't want to loose the effective viewing area to the black bars. Why is it that 16:9 screens are so much more expensive than 4:3 ?
</font>
BTW, I think Fry's may only have one or two models in the PA/Farenheit brand, and depending on the store, may or may not be on display. Also, the one's I've seen were in the 5-6" range in 4:3 format. I know Fry's has no 16:9 screens except for the in-dash Panasonic models. Nothing in fold down. Just letting you know if you are set on 16:.

Cost right now is a matter of availability and economies of scale; manufactures don't produce a whole lot of flip down screens these days, and they haven't migrated as a whole yet to 16:9 (though it's happening slowly). Look at those little portable DVDs and how price is rapidly dropping on them. I'd expect that later this year 16:9 fold down choices will be greater, but since they are never going to be a huge volume item like portables, the prices will remain (relatively) high.

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
169 Posts
About 6 months ago I bought a 5.6", Mobile Authority M58FD flip-down monitor (very nice, by the way) for our Ody, but later sold it after deciding I wanted more flexibility & didn't want to cut holes in the headliner. I bought a pedestal-mount, 5.6" monitor with integral speaker at Dutch auction on eBay for $99 U.S. Although it carried the "Classic" brand name, it was nearly identical in appearance to a Ferenheit monitor. Picture quality was abysmal at best, with loads of video noise, poor quality colour, and uneven backlighting. I couldn't adjust it to be even remotely watchable. After sending off about 30 e-mails to other winners, I realized that every one, not just mine, was junk! I received a refund (less restocking fee, grrr!), as did some others, and the company that sold it is no longer registered on eBay.

I'm not dissing Fareneheit, since I have no proof that the one I had was a re-branded Farenheit, but I would caution against off-market monitors.

Mike

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the last few days, I've had the chance to see the Power Acoustick screen. I can say it looked like complete junk, the flimsy housing was a deep black rubburized finish that wouldn't go well with any of the Ody's interiors. I did go to Fry's to see the Farenheit brand but they didn't have any on display, only in sealed cartons. Made me wonder why they don't want a unit on display. So these two are brands to avoid for sure plus I saw an 7" widescreen emerson at Frys for $349.00. Good price but again very cheap quality, the screen hinge made clunking noises when adjusting angle.
So I am still looking for the right monitor for me, definitely won't get a cheap off-brand. I guess this is an investment that I'll be enjoying for many years.
I am still trying to select the size and brand in '13" flip down LCD' thread. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts