Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
There is a member of this forum, user name Viskha who bought a Farhenheit screen. Take a look at this thread:

http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000400.html

However, he had some problems with noise on his screen:

http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000429.html

You may wanna follow up with him to see if he has resolved his issues.

Personally, I've not been impressed with the quality of PA/Farenheit and other off brands that I've seen. But then again, my standards/opinion could differ from yours. Really the best thing is to try and demo yourself so you can make your own judgement. Use opinions as a reference point, but make your own judgement based on your own standards.

I think Panasonic screens are pretty good price/quality, and the drop down 6800 is available for bargain prices these days. I'm talking $400-$600 for this model on the net. Not a bad option, but keep in mind it's 4:3, not 16:9.

My 2 cents.
-SJ

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

p.s.- Since you live in SJ, go check out Fry's. They have some PA/Farenheit and also MA Audio. You can compare diectly with Panasonic...

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 02-15-2002).]

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sgoyal:

I didn't realize Frys carried those brands. I will definitely check them out. I am trying to decide between 4:3 and 16:9, but leaning toward 16:9 because I don't want to loose the effective viewing area to the black bars. Why is it that 16:9 screens are so much more expensive than 4:3 ?
</font>
BTW, I think Fry's may only have one or two models in the PA/Farenheit brand, and depending on the store, may or may not be on display. Also, the one's I've seen were in the 5-6" range in 4:3 format. I know Fry's has no 16:9 screens except for the in-dash Panasonic models. Nothing in fold down. Just letting you know if you are set on 16:.

Cost right now is a matter of availability and economies of scale; manufactures don't produce a whole lot of flip down screens these days, and they haven't migrated as a whole yet to 16:9 (though it's happening slowly). Look at those little portable DVDs and how price is rapidly dropping on them. I'd expect that later this year 16:9 fold down choices will be greater, but since they are never going to be a huge volume item like portables, the prices will remain (relatively) high.

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.