Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I going to install an amp in my LX. Does the factory LX radio have a remote "on" output, such as a power antenna lead? How does the Kelton subwoofer do it's auto-on trick, or is it just on with the ignition?

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Alright, amp time!
I believe the Kelton does what you will have to buy a device for. I think it's power is set to acc power, and then powers on/off depending on whether it sees an input signal or not.

You can buy a switch box that outputs a 12V turn on signal once it sees an audio input. Some amps also have auto turn on capability with its speaker level inputs built in.

Such a box can be purchased at just about any auto accessory place, Crutchfield, etc...

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
The Kelton box that comes from Honda?? Hmmm, I'll have to double-check that. I know they install an on-off switch in the dash, but I don't know if it takes a main trigger from the head unit. Hmmmmm.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked in the electrical service manual...should have started there. Much to my surprise the stereo system wire harness is in there with pin outs and wire color codes (I'm surpised since the equivalent from Ford had no such thing). It seems there is no output from the radio to know that it is 'on'.

Shinjohn, what is the device you speak of? I looked at Crutchfield and Parts Express catalogs and can't find any such animal. Do you have catalog numbers? How about a manufacturer?

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by texneus:

Shinjohn, what is the device you speak of? I looked at Crutchfield and Parts Express catalogs and can't find any such animal. Do you have catalog numbers? How about a manufacturer?
</font>
Sorry, I thought Crutchfield carried one of these.....

Low volage trigger is what you need, like this one:

http://autosoundgear.com/Value/itemdesc.asp?CartId=4196316XDJLW45&ic=LVT&tpc=

If the above link doesn't work, just go to autosoundgear.com and look under peripheral products - triggers, sensors, timers

Need line level converter too to interface with amp's RCA inputs? Check this out:

http://store.autotoys.com/cgi-bin/wfp53024.storefront/3 c4efed200226f4c274fd8f5a506067c/Product/View/PERIPHERAL&20VENREM

The above products can also be seen on the Peripheral website..

http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/peri_products_main.htm

Some amplifiers also have auto signal sense on their high (speaker) level inputs, though you may already have an amp.

Hope this helps.

Also, in regards to the Kelton, I may have been mistaken about the input triggering, lots of OEM compatible subs have this feature, but perhaps not the Kelton. I'm a little sleep deprived these days, so you'll have to excuse me.

Yeah, also should have been more clear that neither the LX or EX head unit has any remote output capability; Last time I saw that on a Honda radio was for '90-'93 Accords which had a power antenna.

------------------
-Shin John

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 01-23-2002).]

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is a 12 volt output from the head unit on the EX. (These head units are available on eBay for $50-100 taken out of Civics/Accords.)

Anyway, I would expect that the head unit in the LX follows the same specs. The power out is pin 1. There is no wire in the harness connector that attaches to this pin.

Metra sells a "reverse" harness adapter that you can buy for $10-15 and you can take out one wire from it and insert it into the factory harness if you want a perfect installation. You could probably also just shove a wire into the vacant pin 1 of the harness adapter.

I don't know if this pin is energized only when the radio is on, or whenever the head unit is on.

Since the ETM documents the wire harness, and not the radio, it only *appears* that there is no +12v output from the radio.

[This message has been edited by MashedPotato (edited 01-23-2002).]

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MashedPotato:
There is a 12 volt output from the head unit on the EX.</font>
Interesting, wasn't aware of this.. have you or anyone else tested an Ody EX (or LX) stock head unit with a MM to check if the output works as stated? (or physically check if there is a pin output on the radio's connector even?) I'd be interested to know for sure on the Ody units.

Texneus, I would assume you are interested, are you in the process of checking this out?

------------------
-Shin John

·
Registered
11 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shinjohn:
Have you or anyone else tested an Ody EX (or LX) stock head unit with a MM to check if the output works as stated? (or physically check if there is a pin output on the radio's connector even?)</font>
The pin is there and it is switched with the head unit, but I don't recall if it is only with the radio. I believe it is +12v whether a CD is playing or the radio is playing.

I had a '99 EX where I switched the front and rear speakers and used the NAV input to pipe in audio from a traveling VCR. I played quite a bit with the head unit, even trying to find the preamplified signal on the circuit board to tap into. That is when I discovered the unused pins for power, and for NAV input. At the time, there was no NAV option and the ETM didn't document what the extra pins were for.

We have a '00 EX NAV now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Texneus, I would assume you are interested, are you in the process of checking this out?"

It's actually going to be at least 2-3 weeks before I'm ready to start this project, but I definately will be checking it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts