Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am preparing to install a mobility chair lift using the trailer hitch on my 2022 Odyssey Elite. The manual for the lift recommends a direct battery connection to power the 20 amp circuit required by the lift. I noted that the battery connectors have what appears to be studs already mounted on them. If I loosen the nuts on the studs will I get myself into trouble should I interrupt the power to the van?

I would prefer not to run a cable from the battery to the trailer hitch area. I noted that the standard wiring for the hitch is connected to an electrical panel on the drivers side at the rear of the van. I believe this is where the vacuum was connected in the 2021 model, a feature not included in the 2022. Would it be possible for me to make a connection to this electrical panel for the lift. The circuit needs to stay live at all times for purposes of powering the lift. I have no idea what is connected to that panel already and I didn't find anything in the 780 page owners manual.

I am looking for recommendations on the best course of action. Since I have less than 200 miles on this vehicle I don't want to jeopardize the warrantee.

Thank you,

Al Schuler

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The hitch wiring would have brake lights and turn signals. Way under 20A. I doubt the vacuum would have needed 20A either.
Perhaps check with a stereo installation service? Many times they will run a dedicated power line to the rear for amplifiers.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am preparing to install a mobility chair lift using the trailer hitch on my 2022 Odyssey Elite. The manual for the lift recommends a direct battery connection to power the 20 amp circuit required by the lift. I noted that the battery connectors have what appears to be studs already mounted on them. If I loosen the nuts on the studs will I get myself into trouble should I interrupt the power to the van?

I would prefer not to run a cable from the battery to the trailer hitch area. I noted that the standard wiring for the hitch is connected to an electrical panel on the drivers side at the rear of the van. I believe this is where the vacuum was connected in the 2021 model, a feature not included in the 2022. Would it be possible for me to make a connection to this electrical panel for the lift. The circuit needs to stay live at all times for purposes of powering the lift. I have no idea what is connected to that panel already and I didn't find anything in the 780 page owners manual.

I am looking for recommendations on the best course of action. Since I have less than 200 miles on this vehicle I don't want to jeopardize the warrantee.

Thank you,

Al Schuler
Unfortunately, I think anything you do to your vehicle with non-Honda products and not done by a Honda dealer will void warranty coverage. others on this forum may know otherwise. I will suggest something for you to do. You can check with your dealer to see if there is a problem. You need a direct battery run to the rear fused at 20 amps. Well, per your owners manual there is a rear accessory outlet on the left side of the cargo area. Honda says do not use more than 15 amps in it, but it is fused for 20 amps. The fuse is number 3 in the rear fuse box located on the left side of the cargo area right under the accessory outlet. You have to pry off a cover to see the fuses. The outlet is the cigarette lighter style, I would remove the socket and splice into the wire with the correct connectors. This way you would have your lift connection and the use of the outlet. Just do not use both functions at the same time because you will blow the fuse. To route the wire out of the vehicle, find the trailer hitch wiring location.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately, I think anything you do to your vehicle with non-Honda products and not done by a Honda dealer will void warranty coverage. others on this forum may know otherwise. I will suggest something for you to do. You can check with your dealer to see if there is a problem. You need a direct battery run to the rear fused at 20 amps. Well, per your owners manual there is a rear accessory outlet on the left side of the cargo area. Honda says do not use more than 15 amps in it, but it is fused for 20 amps. The fuse is number 3 in the rear fuse box located on the left side of the cargo area right under the accessory outlet. You have to pry off a cover to see the fuses. The outlet is the cigarette lighter style, I would remove the socket and splice into the wire with the correct connectors. This way you would have your lift connection and the use of the outlet. Just do not use both functions at the same time because you will blow the fuse. To route the wire out of the vehicle, find the trailer hitch wiring location.
I looked at the panel and found the 20 amp circuit labeled for the accessory outlet. That sounds like the best solution and I can implement it pretty easily. Thank you, Al

1 - 4 of 4 Posts