Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Passenger sliding door was closing and I stopped it with the remote 1/2 way. The door completely died (no power). Tried to reset it by sliding manually to each end and even took out fuse #5 on the kick panel hoping to reset the logic. No dice. Constant buzz while closed. Shut it manually and took it to the dealer. They took out fuse #13 to reset the door and cleaned the contacts. Fixed. What gives? The motor isn't powered by the contacts (since they aren't in connected unless the door is closed) and the description of fuse #13 (all of them) is not remotely connected with the slider. I want to perform this fix when I’m (again) far from the dealer on a Sunday. Insight is appreciated.

------------------
kreipe

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the great tip!

The passenger-side power door on our '99 EX also just plain stopped working and nothing I tried would reset the system or get it to work, although the driver's side door continued to work. Dreading and expensive repair and unable to find time when our family of six could do without the minivan for a day, I found your post.

Tried it and voila! I love the internet...

Thanks again and anyone out there with this problem, definitely try this first!!!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Passenger fuse box, fuse #13 powers the door multiplex control unit and left/right slinding door control units, climate control unit and few other stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Would the fuse # be the same for the driver door? I have this problem, but with my driver's side door. I unhooked the positive battery cable, and my door now closes, but not completely. I have narrowed the problem to the rear motor of the driver door not working. Is this mystery fuse somehow related to just the rear motor of the door?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks!

Wow was this post timely. Wife called to say passenger door went dead and she was stuck in some parking lot with the kids. Found this post and told my wife to try it.

Meanwhile I call up a few Honda service centers. What a total bunch of morons! [Well you'll have to get it towed. Bring it in and we'll look.] No clue as to the manual door operation or the Fuse #13.

This website has always been and will continue to be great! :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My original post on this problem was October 2001. (Not a problem since) Wow seems like a lot of folks have had this problem recently. I'm glad that I asked my dealer EXACTLY what they did to fix the problem.

A problem/solution discussion forum would be a good addition to this web site!!!! Or is there one I'm missing?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
gthiltg said:
Would the fuse # be the same for the driver door? I have this problem, but with my driver's side door. I unhooked the positive battery cable, and my door now closes, but not completely. I have narrowed the problem to the rear motor of the driver door not working. Is this mystery fuse somehow related to just the rear motor of the door?
I didn't get in that deep into fuse-13, just posted the description for the fuse and looked at ground path, there seems to be 2 different sliding door controllers and 2 door multiplex control unit. Yes, fuse 13 provides power to both driver and passenger sliding doors. I'm sure it does not provide power to the sliding door motors, as its only 7.5A fuse.
The leftside sliding door motor gets its power from 30A multi-fuse realy box-A, fuse-61. FuseRealy box-A is in the engine compartment, left/front. Looks like its just left of the battery as you are looking in there.
Also on the controllers, under passenger side fuse box, fuse-1 is for the left sliding door and fuse-5 is for rightside, fuse-13 goes to both units.
This Van has tooooo many fuse boxes!!

gthiltg, you always want to take off the ground wire on the battery 1st, not positive cable, for what you were trying to do, just take off the ground side.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

:joy: I am so happy I found this site! Thanks you and fuse #13 for saving me a trip to the dealer to reset my sliding door.
I am forever in your debt.:bow:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Potentially silly question; is this applicable for the 2002's as well?
If so, this may be something to keep in the glove compartment.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The "clean the contacts" tip is important.

I had a similar problem and the Honda mechanic said to clean after every wash with rubbing alcohol to remove tarnish on contacts.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Tony B said:
Potentially silly question; is this applicable for the 2002's as well?
If so, this may be something to keep in the glove compartment.
Tony B, are you talking about keeping a fuse in your glove box? If so, talk about fuse-13, is to pull it out so it will reset the computer and put the same fuse back in.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Actually, I was talking about printing these instructions and keeping them in the glove compartment, just in case. I know there is supposed to be something in the owner's manual, but this seems to go a step further, pulling fuse #13 instead of or in addition to pulling fuse #5, if that doesn't work.

I am still wondering if this is applicable to the 2002's? Anyone??

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fuse 13 seems to be quite a powerful fix, possibly only know by dealers and the Ody-informed members here. My take is that the contacts do not need cleaning on a regular basis. Call me skeptical but I think that if your door gets stuck and you take it in for service they "Clean the contacts and... ,oh what else you ask? By the way, we reset the logic (pulled lucky 13)."

My question is, how can dirty contacts keep the door from operating? Especially if the door is open? What the heck are all those contacts for anyway? I'm a little embarrassed to new riders that comment on the wart of contacts on the sliders. Surely it cannot take more than a plunger switch to operate the door and tell its position.

I trust the engineering of Honda but this is too much of a leap of faith. Can anybody enlighten me?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Tony B said:

Tony B, keeping a copy of what fuses in the circuit is a good idea.
As to your question, as you can see, i have 2002 Ody, their for i have the new ETM manual, so i was looking at wire diagram for 2002 and it didn't have a note that pre 2002 wireing was any different, or i would have posted that part.
This post isn't what it sounds like, i'm just having fun with you at your expense.:D Hope you don't take it the wrong way.

·
0 Posts
Tony B said:
Actually, I was talking about printing these instructions and keeping them in the glove compartment, just in case. I know there is supposed to be something in the owner's manual, but this seems to go a step further, pulling fuse #13 instead of or in addition to pulling fuse #5, if that doesn't work.

Thanks for the tip. I've already put a copy in the car for future reference:) .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Passenger sliding door quit. Checked fuses as marked in owner's manual to no avail. Visited this site and took advice and removed and reinserted #13 and "Voila moi aussi", it is fixed. Wrote note in red ink in owner's manual to pull and reinsert #13 if door quits.

Honda doesn't get it. They should provide this info as a customer service instead of trying to protect the ripoff dealers.

Glad this site is here.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
You could also try the method that is in the owner's manual. It is:
Switch off the master switch on the dash.
Open door all the way manually )hard to do)
Switch master back on
Close door with dash switch HOLDING SWITCH DOWN until the door closes all the way.
This is the reset procedure.

I have never needed the fuse removal trick, but I have had to do this several times as teenagers are able to open a sliding door quite a ways even though you are in D and it's beeping at them. The only time teens hurry is when they're leaving.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
fuse-13 saves the day !

Thank you , Thank you , Thank you , Thank you , !!!!!!!

This forum just saved me and my wife from a huge headache..... Our kids were opening and closing that blasted passenger sliding door and all of a sudden it stops working. Thanks to this web site and the 'fuse-13' fix it is working again..

Cheers and happy motoring

:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got back in town from a business trip and was greeted with a non-functional power door. 5 minutes on the forum and I hit this thread. 10 min later the door was fixed. Magic fuse 13!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!!

Your suggestion on Fuse #13 saved me!!!

My sliding doors were acting weird and frequently refused to slide open. Suddenly, one day it totally failed to open. I found this post, pulled Fuse #13 and put it back. Viola! It worked again!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts