Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you turn the beeping sound back on the doors if they are not closed when the car is in drive? My wife almost took a door off with the side of the garage today. Our 2002 would sound a long beep if the door was opened and the car was in drive.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I couldn't find anything in the manual about changing the behavior. There is a dashboard light that indicates whether a door is open. But, I believe our salesman told us that the alarm sound behavior was a change from previous models to accommodate the times when you want to just pull up to a curb and let the kids jump in without putting the vehicle in park. The alarm does sound when going more than a certain speed (2mph?). As I said, though, I couldn't find anything for changing the speed when the alarm will sound.

·
Registered
288 Posts
windycityody said:
Can you turn the beeping sound back on the doors if they are not closed when the car is in drive? My wife almost took a door off with the side of the garage today. Our 2002 would sound a long beep if the door was opened and the car was in drive.
I'd like to do the same, I almost backed out of the garage, too, with the door open. I hope someone here has a good answer.

·
Super Moderator
13,639 Posts
Amazing. In the prior gens, people were looking to disable this "feature" called the beep. In this gen when Honda did finally change it, you all want it back. :)

Oh what can Honda do?

·
Registered
196 Posts
As a note for posterity, my family likes the new behavior. I was just trying to help, and have no desire to change it on my ody.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I never quite got why people had a problem with the 3rd Gen. You don't have to put the car in Park to open the door. I might not drive a carpool, but I have found myself in that position a lot and when I am I just shift to neutral open the door and then shift back to drive and drive off with no noticable delay. I like my 3rd gen system and would not like the new 2011. My guess is a lot of the complainers from the last gen didn't realize the neutral option.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
dvpatel said:
Amazing. In the prior gens, people were looking to disable this "feature" called the beep. In this gen when Honda did finally change it, you all want it back. :)

Oh what can Honda do?
I was thinking the exact same thing. :D

·
Super Moderator
13,639 Posts
psu ody fan said:
I was thinking the exact same thing. :D
Yay. Now you and I are back on the same wave length. :D

·
Registered
288 Posts
In my own defense, I never wanted the beep to go away. :D
I didn't like having to shift out of drive to open the doors when dropping off my kids, but I liked know when the doors were open because, as I call our household, it's a 3 ring circus back there. I'm sure the day will come when I hit the side of our garage opening with an open sliding door. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
13,639 Posts
Cntrtwnltd said:
I never quite got why people had a problem with the 3rd Gen. You don't have to put the car in Park to open the door. I might not drive a carpool, but I have found myself in that position a lot and when I am I just shift to neutral open the door and then shift back to drive and drive off with no noticable delay.
Actually, my 2007 EX-L does NOT work the way you describe. I tried it when I saw the beep disable thread but since I didn't need the mod, I didn't pay attention when it didn't work. Today, I tried it again. I cannot open the doors if I put the car in N. I HAVE to put it in P before the darn doors would work. So, I can relate to those who want the beep silent. We don't use the oddy in the carpool drop off so I am not modding it but if we start using it for drop off, I would have to do the mod just for my sanity.

·
Registered
786 Posts
dvpatel said:
Actually, my 2007 EX-L does NOT work the way you describe. I tried it when I saw the beep disable thread but since I didn't need the mod, I didn't pay attention when it didn't work. Today, I tried it again. I cannot open the doors if I put the car in N. I HAVE to put it in P before the darn doors would work. So, I can relate to those who want the beep silent. We don't use the oddy in the carpool drop off so I am not modding it but if we start using it for drop off, I would have to do the mod just for my sanity.
Is your foot on the brake? With mine, the car needs to be in neutral with the brake pedal depressed AND/OR the parking brake applied. I will tell you that if the car wheels are moving inches, the doors will not work. I would be surprised if they changed it.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Cntrtwnltd said:
Is your foot on the brake? With mine, the car needs to be in neutral with the brake pedal depressed AND/OR the parking brake applied. I will tell you that if the car wheels are moving inches, the doors will not work. I would be surprised if they changed it.
yupp youre right. thats how i did it

with our 05 when we had it before. Just shift into Neutral,

unlock all the doors, and keep your foot on the brake or engage

the parking brake instead, and just open the door.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I just checked and it is also listed in the 2010 manual in the power door section.

·
Super Moderator
13,639 Posts
Cntrtwnltd said:
The brake was pressed. But the parking brake was not applied. I have a sloping drive way so I have to keep my foot on the brake if I put in N. But let's take this to the 3rd gen thread. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts