Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone knows if there's a wire from the stock oem head unit that goes to 12V when the head unit is powered-on. I want to use it to power an FM-modulator so that when the unit is off the FM-modulator is powered-down.

I'm thinking of the power/antenna signal but I want this signal to be live if I'm playing CD and the cd changer too.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Which head unit(year and type)....

Note that in all radios I've seen, the power antenna doesn't go down just because you are listening to a source that doesn't require it.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Hmmmm. In absolutely every radio I've seen, especially factory radios, the power antenna *does* go down when you switch to a non-tuner source.

It always made sense to me.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MBODYDRIVER:
I hope Mashed Potato is still reading this Message board. MP, Can you share more info on the NAV input pins?</font>
Pins 11-14
11: ORN (Common GND)
12: BLU/GRM (R+)
13: ORN/BLU (L+)
14: WHT/BLK (mute)

+12V trigger to the mute lead mutes the front speakers. Then the inputs through pins 11-13 pipe signal into the front channel amplifiers.

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you have the EX, the wiring harness won't have the wires coming from the NAV, but the head unit is the same, so if you somehow got the wires...

So, purchase a Metra reverse adapter ($10) and pull four of the pins out from it and insert them into the stock harness.

Another option is to purchase the cigarette lighter/ashtray, which replaces the cup holder drawer. It attaches to the wiring harness of the radio, and then to the radio, with all the wires going straight through except for two of them (illumination, I think). You could tap into the NAV wires on this harness.

I recall there was an online vendor that sold the ashtray for $35, which is WAY below what it is sold for elsewhere. It is the real thing, though, and is a good option to do what you're trying to do. (If you want to switch the front and back speakers, it's especially good since you won't have to cut into the factory harness but rather into this added piggy-back harness.)

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MashedPotato:
Another option is to purchase the cigarette lighter/ashtray, which replaces the cup holder drawer. It attaches to the wiring harness of the radio, and then to the radio, with all the wires going straight through except for two of them (illumination, I think). You could tap into the NAV wires on this harness.

I recall there was an online vendor that sold the ashtray for $35, which is WAY below what it is sold for elsewhere. It is the real thing, though, and is a good option to do what you're trying to do. (If you want to switch the front and back speakers, it's especially good since you won't have to cut into the factory harness but rather into this added piggy-back harness.)
</font>
Great idea and way to get the harnesses, which alone would probably cost $10-$15.

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts