Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I forgot where I posted the precursor to this message on how I power my entertainment system; so i am putting it here:

. . .The invertor I bought at Sam's Club was:

Whistler PP300AC (300 watt continuous 600 watt peak DC to AC power inverter)

$25 approx. Cobalt blue colored, on/off switch, green/red status light and cooling fan.

It takes one DC socket and converts it to two AC outlets. I have powered a TV/VCR combo and Nintendo 64 system for dozens of hours without any issues at all.

------------------
1996 Odyssey 120,000 miles
2002EX Odyssey w/towing package
http://www.homestead.com/weaverhouse/index.html

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Personally I did not see the harm. I only use this setup on long ROAD TRIPS. I will re-post it there. Sorry for the offense.

------------------

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turns out my original posting (that I said I forgot where I put it) was where you directed me! When you are right you are right.

------------------

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi, sweaver. I'm curious, does your power inverter emit a very faint beep when you first turn on the power to the van? And, if your model has a cooling fan, is it loud enough to hear even with the engine and radio on?

------------------
(o: Terry :eek:)
'02 GG EX-L RES
Splash guards, mod floor mats & cargo tray, Poron backup sensors, VCR/TV tuner

·
Registered
585 Posts
My inverter (bought it from Sams, blue, etc) so I think its the same one *is* rather noisy but once the engine is on and I'm on the road (faster than 15-20 mph) the noise is completely drowned out. Its *slightly* annoying when I'm just sitting in the van without the engine on showing off the PS2 & flipdown to people but hey, it was $25.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ditto nyvram's comments, there is a little beep when you turn on the car. As for me, I always tell the kids to "prepare for an exit" when we are about to stop. This drill has them turn off the TV, Nintendo, whatever and locate their shoes. During this drill I usually turn off the switch on the inverter. Once safely going in a straight line on the road again, I turn it back on. So I usually never deal with the beep.

The beep is your low voltage alert (by the way).

------------------

·
Registered
205 Posts
sweaver - do you have that drill for EVERY time you come to a stop, or just at the end of a journey?!

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for your comments, you guys. Sweaver--I assume you've placed your inverter under the driverside seat (or wherever you can reach while driving)? You see, I went the low-tech route and just plugged the inverter into the power plug in the back, placed it under the third-row seat, right next to the VCR (OK, don't laugh, it is your regular household VCR, but hey, I saw no need to get a car VCP when I had an extra VCR lying around in the house, and it's 'somewhat' tied down so it doesn't move around. Besides, I can even get TV channels with it; can't beat that.) Anyway, because it's so far back, I can't easily turn the inverter on and off, for I find that beep and fan noise somewhat annoying, especially because the VCR isn't always used. I got my inverter at Kmart for $50 (up to 800W, 2 outlets), and it's good to know that the noise is a common thing.

------------------
(o: Terry :eek:)
'02 GG EX-L RES
Splash guards, mod floor mats & cargo tray, Poron backup sensors, VCR/TV tuner

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not laughing about putting a "real" VCR under the back seat. I have been amazed at the number of people willing to drill holes in their vans to customize them! I like being able to take the "entertainment" out and save it for long trips.

I do have the inverter in the front under the "tray". I actually set my TV on the tray on top of two mouse pads (Glued face to face). I plan on trying my laptop for DVD's on this trip. It fits well on the tray if I can just figure a way to strap it down with out pressing any keys.

As for "do I do this on all stops" I guess the answer is yes when couched with this explaination: the TV/Nintendo setup is only in maybe four times a year and only for those long journey's to see relatives (minimum drive time is five hours one way).

I tried the Steel Horse tote by the way. I found it way too bulky. It completely cut off the ability to get in the van (for my third row travelers. As it stands now they have to crawl in from one side because the second row had two car seats in the way.

With all of the room in the van there sure is not much from the first to the second row! I have to drive with seat all the way back and that hits the rear facing car seat in the second row. (Either that or endure the constant kicking from my two year is she is seated behind me).

------------------

·
Registered
585 Posts
My setup:

Under driver's seat:
- PS2 (nice & snug)
- controller cord under weathertech (and honda 2nd row mat) comes up in front of 3rd row seat and lives in the seat-back of the 2nd row seat.
- power & video cords run across to the passenger side seat under both sets of mats using one of those gray cable shields(you know, like they put across the floor to keep people from tripping over cables?..picked up for $5 at Home Depot) so I don't have to worry about the wires getting crushed with the constant 'grand central station' aspect of the middle area.

Passenger side:
- power inverter (closest to door; ps2 power plugs into this)
- wireless av broadcaster(where the ps2 rca outputs connect)****(i have a wireless flipdown LCD)****
- av broadcaster has ac outlet w/ extra ac plug on the chain so its plugged (under all mats again) into the front ac outlet and the power inverter is chained off the extra ac on the av broadcaster (what's the word I'm looking for here? Its not 'broadcaster'...)

The coolest thing about this setup (aside from the fact its all out-of-the-way and all cords are basically invisible) is that I can take the PS2 out in about 10 seconds by disconnecting those 3 cables and keep it inside where it won't get stolen or damaged from cold/hot weather. The controller cable is so long that my 4 year old can also control the game from the 3rd row seats or from the middle row seats without the cable splayed across everything.

Now if I could just get an extra controller, av cable & power cable for my PS2 from Sony, I would be set if I wanted to play it inside too. If I want to play it inside I have to take all those cables in too (which is more of a pain since I have to pull them out from the gray cable shield, etc).

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 12-17-2001).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts