Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
New to forums so hang in there with me.
I just purchased a 2015 Touring Elite and the next day after purchase the power lift gate went inoperable. I operated the gate at purchase over a dozen times and earlier in the day it failed it was working perfectly fine. Opened the tailgate via release button above rear license plate and when coming to close, it bounced back like a front door on an extended cab truck. Attempted to re-press the release button above the license plate and I hear the actuator operating, but no movement in the mechanicals. Checked the fuses in the trunk, and affiliated fuse box in engine bay, drivers side, all good nothing blown or sign of failure. I am unfortunately outside the requirements for MN Lemon law so if the dealer doesn’t help me out with the diagnose I’m forced to absorb the repair. Hoping I can get some insight as to where else to go with self diagnosing. Trying to avoid brining it in to the Honda Dealer.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Hello all!
New to forums so hang in there with me.
I just purchased a 2015 Touring Elite and the next day after purchase the power lift gate went inoperable. I operated the gate at purchase over a dozen times and earlier in the day it failed it was working perfectly fine. Opened the tailgate via release button above rear license plate and when coming to close, it bounced back like a front door on an extended cab truck. Attempted to re-press the release button above the license plate and I hear the actuator operating, but no movement in the mechanicals. Checked the fuses in the trunk, and affiliated fuse box in engine bay, drivers side, all good nothing blown or sign of failure. I am unfortunately outside the requirements for MN Lemon law so if the dealer doesn’t help me out with the diagnose I’m forced to absorb the repair. Hoping I can get some insight as to where else to go with self diagnosing. Trying to avoid brining it in to the Honda Dealer.
did you try simply moving the catch mechanism back with a screwdriver?
clearly it is in the closed position, which is why it bounces back when hit hits the latch.

The seller should be able to assist, or was the sale as is.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
To add to this... there is an access panel that allows you to open the tailgate in the event of failure.

that should open / reset the mechanism.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
did you try simply moving the catch mechanism back with a screwdriver?
clearly it is in the closed position, which is why it bounces back when hit hits the latch.

The seller should be able to assist, or was the sale as is.
The Sale was an as us unfortunately, going to try and see if they are decent enough to diagnose at the very least.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no power operation in addition to the inability to latch. Could this be something electrically related? Excluding the fuses that all check out, not sure what areas it could be...

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
There is no power operation in addition to the inability to latch. Could this be something electrically related? Excluding the fuses that all check out, not sure what areas it could be...
if you are hearing the actuator operating then you have power.
open the service panel and reset the latch, that will allow you to close the liftgate.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I have the schematic for the power liftgate circuit, if you need that for troubleshooting after you manage to get it closed... pm me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the schematic for the power liftgate circuit, if you need that for troubleshooting after you manage to get it closed... pm me.
The website won’t let me message you..
So sorry, definitely a novice at this website.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,461 Posts
What happens if you operate the door manually (assuming it is open at the moment...) - close the door, do not slam it - just set it where the closer mechanism takes over. Also note that the hatch should be able to be closed manually.

You might also be able to reset the latch on the hatch with a screwdriver acting like it is the latch loop on the van body.

There are two parts to the system - both the motor on the D-pillar and a latch mechanism that closes the door the last 1/4" or so. Sounds like the latch part of the system has a malfunction.

-Charlie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update
Located issue, ended up being sensor pad in the electrical tumbler on the lift gate in conjunction with the battery loosing life. Battery issues busy have shorted out the sensor and it wouldn’t respond. Replaced lift gate tumbler and battery and seems good as new.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Update
Located issue, ended up being sensor pad in the electrical tumbler on the lift gate in conjunction with the battery loosing life. Battery issues busy have shorted out the sensor and it wouldn’t respond. Replaced lift gate tumbler and battery and seems good as new.
wow
not a run of the mill issue.
glad you got it sorted.
(y)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts