Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a CCM hands free device for my cell phone

Now the problem is that the Odyssey has the outlet on the bottom, whereas most cars/vans have it on the dash. Talking is no problem because I have a mic for it. But I can't see the phone screen with the phone on the floor attached to the outlet.
Is there a way to get another outlet attached to the dash or even move the outlet?

·
1,484 Posts
I've never tried this before but here's my idea:

Take your existing power outlet (or special order one at www.handa-accessories.com) and try to retrofit it onto the fog light switch hole cover. Then take the original lower power outlet's WIRE HARNESS and see if it reaches the center dash. If does then plug it in - if it doesn't splice it with longer wires so that it does.

I don't know if this is an actaul issue but there might be some "heat buildup"? I don't know for sure because I haven't tried it. But just try to accomidate the hole cover as best you can for stuff like that. Good Luck!

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
This is slightly off topic for the original question and I'm not sure if it's been discussed elsewhere but:

If you add the ash tray option, does it allow the accessory power outlets at the front and rear of the Ody to be "hot" all the time? I don't remember having a car with a cigarette lighter that wasn't active whether the key was on or not. The power outlets in the Ody are only hot when the key is on and that severly reduces their utility for me.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The ashtray option is a direct wire to the battery so it is hot all the time. The most important part is the new wiring harness that comes with it. You can just use the hrness and install the extra lighter outlet in the dash cover. Hondaparts.com has an excellent price on this item.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When my cell phone battery is low, I plug in and work off the power outlet. That also charges the battery, as long as the car is on. I am wondering if it hurts the battery life/memory since the car is constantly being turned off and on when it is charging. Any input? On my old caravan, the outlet was hot all the time, so it wasn't an issue. But my husband has had problems with battery life on his cell phones, and he drives an Accord. Even though it is the lighter plug, it is only hot when the car is on too.

TIA,
Karen

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rollie66:
The ashtray option is a direct wire to the battery so it is hot all the time. <snip> Hondaparts.com has an excellent price on this item. </font>
The cigarette lighter is not hot all the time! However, it would be a pretty simple mod to make it so.

The correct url is www.hondapartsforyou.com.

Mel

·
Registered
331 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2002 odyowner2b:
When my cell phone battery is low, I plug in and work off the power outlet. That also charges the battery, as long as the car is on. I am wondering if it hurts the battery life/memory since the car is constantly being turned off and on when it is charging. Any input
</font>

Karen - follow this link for more than you would ever want to know about cell phone batteries:

http://www.canyonriver.com/information_battery.html

Regards

·
Registered
207 Posts
I was looking into the ashtray option since it's really one mod I'll almost certainly do when my Ody arrives (planning **way** ahead here).

Hondaparts sells this item for $80 less than HandA. The latter charges $115 while the Hondaparts price is $35. The HandA list price is $159 while the Hondaparts' list is $49. The pictures on both sites appear to be exactly the same. Does anyone know what (if anything) accounts for the huge disparity? TIA.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ordered the $35.39 ashtray yesterday. I asked if it included all cables, etc and they said it does. Let you know what I get when it arrives. That should be 10/17.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I got mine from hondapartsforyou.com. Great price, good service, free shipping.

When I asked about the good price they said they made a mistake on their web site and were honoring the posted price.

Mel

·
Registered
207 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mel:
When I asked about the good price they said they made a mistake on their web site and were honoring the posted price.</font>
Man, nice of them to honor the price as that is one HUGE mistake. If HandA is selling the identical item for $115 (with a list of $159), then that $35 price has got to be below Hondaparts' cost.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Mel, that's great news about their decision to hold the published price! Since mine is on the way, and since I'm all thumbs, and since the installation looks like a procedure that requires at least four fingers per hand, can you give any words of wisdom about the installation? Sure would be appreciated! Jim

·
Registered
59 Posts
I ordered mine from HondaPartsforYou.com strickly for the wiring harness. I decided to use a "dedicated" circuit for my electronic addons. Installation went pretty well. I did all the harness stuff in about 1.5 hours. Since I wasn't planning on installing the physical ashtray, I don't know how long it would take but a guess would be an addition 20 minutes tops.

Having the extra 15 amp circuit is definitely nice.

------------------
Warren - '01 GG EX

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the info, warrenh! Like you, I only want the add'l circuit, so I'll follow your lead and install only the wiring harnesses. Thanks again. Jim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts