Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen the mod (by Chuck, I think) for adding the three power outlets under the seat next to DVD player, but I only want to make the in-dash outlet "hot" with key off. Can some one tell me how I might do this?

------------------
2002 EX-L NAV
1998 Accord LX

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Just to set the record straight, that's my mod and it's a CD changer
. Here's the link to Additional, always hot, Power Outlets. But that's not important...

Nevertheless, here's the general idea to make the factory outlet always hot. First, find a source of always on power. Generally, the circuits that come through the passenger's side fuse block are always hot so you can look in this area. Alternatively, and a better idea, connect a fused line to the battery (fused near the battery) and run it into the cabin through the grommetted hole in the firewall above the accelerator (either the fog lights or the cigarette lighter use this hole, I don't remember which). Then locate the hot wire positive wire for the outlet, clip it, insulate the "source" side, and connect your new line to the original wire.

I really think that adding the outlets under the seat is easier, and there are accessories that you might want to have on a switched outlet.

Hope this helps,
Mel

·
Registered
102 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by voyager:

(snip)but I only want to make the in-dash outlet "hot" with key off.(snip)
</font>
If I am reading you correctly, you want the outlet to be dead while the iginition is on and hot when the ignition is off. To do that you will need to install a relay in the hot line that Mel describes. The relay will need to be the normally closed type that opens (or interrupts) the connection when power is applied. You will need to connect the control ciruits of the relay to a cirtuit that is only on with the ignition switch.

You can probably find the relay at a place like this:

http://www.wranglernw.com/commerce/ShowCategory.asp?CategoryID=4&Page=1

Good luck.

------------------
Craig

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by celler:
If I am reading you correctly, you want the outlet to be dead while the iginition is on and hot when the ignition is off. To do that you will need to install a relay in the hot line that Mel describes. The relay will need to be the normally closed type that opens (or interrupts) the connection when power is applied. You will need to connect the control ciruits of the relay to a cirtuit that is only on with the ignition switch.
</font>
First of all, my apologies to Mel. I read so many posts that I got things mixed-up on who did what. Second of all, let me clarify my request for Craig. I want my outlet always ON. I meant, I did not need more outlets as in Mel's mod, I just wanted my existing outlet to be hot at all times. It makes it convenient to charge my cell phone when my car is parked.

I agree with Mel that running a fused-line from battery through the firewall is a hassle. I was hoping there was some simple way to keep power ON when key was turned off.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry, I couldn't figure out the purpose for the mod, but with the clarification, Mel's instructions should work just fine. For a low amperage device like a cell phone, any good connection under the dash should do. Like you, I save running wires to the battery for when it is absolutly necessary (amateur radios, power inverters, etc.).

------------------
Craig

1 - 5 of 5 Posts