Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a mod challenge for you all? Can anybody think of a way to make the EX power sliding door handles behave like the buttons on the dash? Meaning when the doors are in motion - just by pulling the handle will make it immediately stop.

The reason why I'm bringing this up is because I've read yet another horror story on the Yahoo club involving the power sliding doors. You would think Honda would've made the handles to function this way.

So let's start brainstorming and see what we can come up with!

-Nestor

·
Registered
276 Posts
Unfortunately, that's not possible because once the 7 contacts are disconnected there is NO electrical connection between the electronics inside the sliding doors and the rest of the car.
Someone might say "But, pulling the inside/outside handle closes the sliding door". The answer to that question is simple: the handles on the sliding doors are both electrical and mechanical. Electrically, it controls the remote switch which activates the release motor when the door is fully closed while at the same time, it controls a little mechanical lever at the bottom slider. When the door is fully opened, the lever breaks the ground connection to terminal A21 of the sliding door control unit by way of a lever switch installed inside the slider area. Pulling the handle, reconnect the ground connection to terminal A21 thus activates the closer motor and closes the door. It's a very clever design, I might add.

The only viable solution that I can suggest is to install recessed momentary switches on the B pillars and connect them to the terminal A7 which controls the door closing. It's not the perfect solution to the inadequacy of Honda power sliding door design flaws, but I think having an emergency stop switches within reach from the sliding doors is a must for this vehicle.

-Harry

·
Registered
579 Posts
There is a post in other Odyssey site regarding 2 years old fingers got caught in the sliding door. Luckily her fingers are okay.

There is not much you can do to prevent it. The best thing to do in this case is to be very careful and keep an eye on minor all the time when they are around any van with sliding doors.

I know every vans are under-designed the sliding safety feature. For the automatic sliding doors need special design to come up with sensor to prevent from closing while hand or finger is in the way. I understand that the sliding doors also need force to close and lock itself. They can't really make it close too soft; otherwise, it wouldn't close and lock properly. I want to suggest to Honda to have recognition sensor on the door; so, it will know there is a finger or object there. If there is a finger or object in front of the door, it will stop or retract back. If there is nothing in its way, go ahead close the door at the normal motion and normal force. It will need a special software to control the sensor. By the way I work with a lot high tech equipment and safety is our first priority. I seen and work with all kind of safety maganism and software on variety of different equipment. Hopefully, Honda read this messages and can come up with some kind of solution. I'm pretty sure they can design it easily. We need to remind Honda "Public Safety Come First." or any other car manufacturing. Coleman.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts