Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a lot of reading here and elsewhere over the last couple days to find the problem I am having with my Odyssey and I havn't been able to find this specific problem.
My drivers side power sliding door stopped working on my 2005 Odyssey the other night while we loading into it. It opened halfway and it appeared to have jammed in a half open (or half closed if your a pessimist) state. I tried pushing the close button from the drivers seat, the motor engaged, but the door didn't move, so I tried it again...and again the third or fourth time the motor stopped reacting to the switch at the drivers seat, the handle swithches and the key switch, and that is the current state. The door is stuck open and I can't close it or open it manually. (I can't open or close the drivers side door manually either, and there is no problem at this point with that door).
What I have tried to far is the reset procedure that seams to be so popular for when the car goes through a feezing cold night of shutting off the power to the doors via the main switch at the drivers seat, removing the the fuse for 30 seconds, and then reversing the process and voila...didn't work.
I looked through my owners manual and then reomoved and checked every fuse that was labeled for the power door closers, and openers, all fuses appeared to be intact.
My suspision is that a frayed cable has seized the action of the door and the motor. What doesn't make sense is that all the fuses are intact (as far as I know). I would think that a fuse would blow to protect the motor...Can anybody help? I have read enough threads to know that I don't want to take this to a dealer if I don't have to.

·
Registered
786 Posts
My drivers side power sliding door stopped working on my 2005 Odyssey the other night while we loading into it. It opened halfway and it appeared to have jammed in a half open (or half closed if your a pessimist) state. I tried pushing the close button from the drivers seat, the motor engaged, but the door didn't move, so I tried it again...and again the third or fourth time the motor stopped reacting to the switch at the drivers seat, the handle swithches and the key switch, and that is the current state. The door is stuck open and I can't close it or open it manually. (I can't open or close the drivers side door manually either, and there is no problem at this point with that door).

For starter's, did you mean to say that the passenger side door is also having problems, you mentioned the driver's side twice and I'm a little confused. If it is just the driver's side, my guess is that someone either pulled the gas door lever or the car thinks the fuel door is open, and all you need to do to close the door is reach in behind it and shut fuel door.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If the master switch is off and you can't move the door it may be the center hinge at the rear of the door. the rollers break off then the hinge jams in the track. try pushing on the hinge that goes into the body at the same time as you move the door.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To cntrtwnltd: yes. The door having the big problem was the passenger side...sorry for the confusion and thanks for the reply.
To steve7757: I began to take the apart the interior of the van to see if I could see the problem. I quickly realized that I was over my head and took it to a good mechanic (not a Honda garage). From what he found the catalyst of the problem was the center roller ($47). Unfortunately I didn't catch the problem in time and the added tension to the cable assembly caused the cable to fray and eventually seize the action of the door. That is why it was stuck open.
The solution was to replace the entire motor and cable assembly($311) because the cable is integral to the motor. Too bad too cuz the motor was still good. I also replaced the center roller of course and also replaced the center roller on the drivers side to prevent the same problem in the future. I am going to keep both doors lubricated so that this doesn't happen again (at least no for a long time). I hope this helps. I really wanna spread the word about this because if I just replaced the rollers before this happened it would have cost about $150 total ($47 for each roller, and about a half hour on each side for labor), but because the cable frayed and I had to replace the motor it was over $650 (with labor), and that's without Honda doing it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts