Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Touring model. I'm sure you're familiar with the PSD (Power sliding doors) not opening when the car is in R (reverse), D (drive), etc... Usually there will be a sustained "beep" when you attempt to drive with the PSD open or attempt to open the PSD while not in P (park). All of a sudden on July 4th, 2019, the doors REFUSE to open while the engine is running, or even when the key is in the "On" position but the engine isn't running! Ex: We drive to the store, my wife gets out to grab something while me and the kids wait in the van. She tries to open the PSD but it won't open until I turn the van off. OR: we are in P and the PSD is open: the van screams a constant "beep" as if we were in D or R or something.
So, the door with CLOSE just fine, in P, R, D, etc... but it will not open any longer in P. Also, the doors work just fine as long as the van is off or the key is in the "Accessory" position.
We never had a problem opening our vans PSDs before July 4th. All of a sudden this issue arose.
Oddly enough... on the same day the VSA, ABS and BRAKE warnings all came on at the same time.
Am I having some insane electrical problem? Did some setting get changed, and the other issues are just coincidental?
I have tried resetting the drivers side PSD: Turning the PSD switch to off position, pulling the open and close fuses, opening/closing the door manually, and finally reinserting the open and close fuses. This didn't solve the problem, as I do not believe it is an issue with the door... more like the door THINKS the van is in drive or something.
Please help! I'd prefer to fix these types of things w/o going to the dealership.

Summary:
PSD will no longer open unless the engine is off and the key is NOT in "On" position.
PSD WILL close in any state.
PSD will open if engine is off or the key is in the "Accessory" position.

·
Registered
13,396 Posts
You need to get the ABS system looked at. If the computer thinks the vehicle is moving (maybe a bad wheel speed sensor) then it will not allow the doors to open.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@John Clark Goodness thank you! I went to replace the front brakes, since they needed it anyways, and guess what I found?! Just like you said! The ABS Speed sensor wire had been chewed through by my dogs ON BOTH SIDES in the front... I think they were chasing a ground squirrel up into my engine compartment and were trying to tear their way in.
Anyways, you rock!
I have a follow up question for you now: I noticed while I was under there that the dust cover on my struts (both right and left) are torn. It looks to be recent, as everything inside is pretty clean. I see that you can purchase JUST the dust covers from parts stores for like $11.50/ea instead of the whole strut assembly for much more... is it ok to replace JUST the struts dust cover? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy two new assemblies?

I'm pretty broke so... its tough for me to just throw around $200+ like its nothing. However, if the damage is already done and it would be pretty useless to just replace the dust cover, then I'll save up and buy the struts.

Please let me know what you advise, and thank you again for the help with the ABS speed sensor!

·
Registered
13,396 Posts
Glad to help. There are very few coincidences in life so when the ABS light came on and the doors started beeping at the same time that's a big red flag.

I've replaced the bellows in my struts on my 08 Ody. You have to disassemble the strut to do it, though. You have to compress the springs and It can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts