Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Power steering pump change, need help?

My 2000 Ody with a 140K miles has a PS pump that whines like crazy and when I put my hand on it it vibrates like mad. There are no leaks or foaming and fluid is swirling around as normal. So I assume the bearing is going bad.
Question is if i need to change the pump, how do I remove the belt??? It goes directly from the pump on top of the eng around the crankshaft pulley on the bottom behind the serpintine belt.
I did searches in the forum and everyone says remove eng mount but I do not see how this plays a factor. Any pictures or instructions from a repair manual would be helpful. Cant afford to take to a mechanic.
Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. However the belt on the pump is seperate and smaller in size from the Unibelt on the engine as shown in the picture. My 2000 is a bit different, and I do believe my belt tensioner is spring loaded not hydraulic.
Any ideas folks??

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Removing the PS belt is part of the standard timing belt service.

To do the pump change, you shouldn't need to remove any other belts.

I believe there is NO auto-tensioner for the PS belt. Tension is controlled by the PS pump position.

If I recall correctly, there are two bolts for holding the pump in position, and a THIRD for adjusting the tension >before< tightening the other two bolts.

To remove the pump, loosen the two bolts holding the pump, then unscrew the PS tensioning bolt until the belt can be removed. Remove the first two bolts completely, and the pump can be taken away. Reverse the above during assembly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep after further review I found it on the pump.
Thanks for the info all.
This forum is outstanding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
power steering pump failure?

Hi all,

I just had the PSF flush-and-fill done, as well as the reservoir replaced on my '04 Odyssey (101k miles), but now there's that dreaded whining/squealing noise whenever I turn the steering wheel side to side at idle. It sounds like the noise is coming from the pump, and from reading the other threads, I suppose it means the pump went bad? There was no noise of any kind prior to the PSF flush-and-fill, so I'm confused as to why the pump failed right afterward. Would the noise have occurred had I not flushed the PSF? Is there any other remedy for the noise besides replacing the pump? My indy mechanic is quoting me $400 for the job.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Re: power steering pump failure?

Coyody said:
Hi all,

I just had the PSF flush-and-fill done, as well as the reservoir replaced on my '04 Odyssey (101k miles), but now there's that dreaded whining/squealing noise whenever I turn the steering wheel side to side at idle....
Is there any other remedy for the noise besides replacing the pump?
1) Has the air been worked out of the system since the flush?
2) Air may be getting into the PS system-- check & tighten down the PS inlet hose and o-ring washer.

G/L.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: Re: power steering pump failure?

WSY said:
1) Has the air been worked out of the system since the flush?
2) Air may be getting into the PS system-- check & tighten down the PS inlet hose and o-ring washer.

G/L.
Thanks for your reply. What's the proper way to rid the air that got into the system during the flush? Would cycling through full lock-to-lock of the steering wheel purge the air (I did the full cycle 10 times with no luck)? As far as tightening the inlet hose and o-ring washer, do you mean on the PS pump side? Where exactly is the washer located?

Thanks for helping a newbie!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Lock to lock should purge the air out.
Are you getting foaming (which is also often accompanied by overflowing of the fluid reservoir)? This would be indicative of air in-leakage.
Did they use the correct fluid?
Check whatever joints they broke to hook-up their equipment.
The pump can be rebuilt, and without much effort for most shade-tree mechanics, and for less than $50 in parts.
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42851&perpage=15&highlight=&pagenumber=1

·
Registered
318 Posts
Re: Re: Re: power steering pump failure?

Coyody said:
Would cycling through full lock-to-lock of the steering wheel purge the air (I did the full cycle 10 times with no luck)? As far as tightening the inlet hose and o-ring washer, do you mean on the PS pump side? Where exactly is the washer located?
The 10 lock-to-lock cycles you did should have purged residual air out of the system, so it sounds like air is getting into the system.

Yes, check the inlet hose on the PS pump; the hose o-ring at that junction can go bad and let air into the system, esp. at lower temperatures.

G/L!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts