Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an 05 and at 60k i had the power steering pump replaced at the dealership and now i am at 96k and it started groaning again. Its been about 3 years and 36k miles but i would have figured they new they were bad so they should of fixed the problem with the part instead of using ones they knew were bad, i thought honda would be smarter then that.

Do i have a leg to stand on seeing it only lasted 3 years? i guess the 1st one only last 3 too since its about 6 years old now. can i go in there and complain or anything?

any thoughts?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Don't buy a 2010, the same crappy power steering problems as 2006. :mad:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Was the PS tank replaced? There is a TSB on it ( http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/A07-005.PDF ) as the original tank has some issue that causes the pumps to break.

If they just changed the pump without changing the tank, it makes sense you would get the problem again.

I am not sure how this works but it could help you get some goodwill on the second pump as it is a known problem.

BTW the TSB came out in 2008, after your first pump problem.

Nicolas

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
We've had ours replaced twice as well. First time around 40k miles and they covered it under warranty. It started making the noise again around 60k miles and I paid to replace PS reservoir which was only $70 including labor. We still have problems with low-assist at parking speeds...but the growling is gone. As mentioned, there is an updated reservoir that you likely didn't get the first time. Look around for the TSB...it explains how to identify the updated part.

·
Registered
513 Posts
skinny2 said:
We've had ours replaced twice as well. First time around 40k miles and they covered it under warranty. It started making the noise again around 60k miles and I paid to replace PS reservoir which was only $70 including labor. We still have problems with low-assist at parking speeds...but the growling is gone. As mentioned, there is an updated reservoir that you likely didn't get the first time. Look around for the TSB...it explains how to identify the updated part.
Did you have the pump replaced the second time, or just the tank?

Nicolas

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Pump was replaced first time but not second time. I'm not convinced it will make a difference so I'm in wait-and-see mode if I want to pay for a replacement pump. It appears the newest models that have the updated reservoir still have low-speed assist issues.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
1+ on PS Reservoir.

Give it a try, change the PS Reservoir. Perhaps the filter at the bottom is clogged, causing moaning sound (from ATF fluid starvation).

Very easy DIY!

·
Registered
513 Posts
skinny2 said:
Pump was replaced first time but not second time. I'm not convinced it will make a difference so I'm in wait-and-see mode if I want to pay for a replacement pump. It appears the newest models that have the updated reservoir still have low-speed assist issues.
What I understand of the PS fluid tank issue is that it causes stiff steering at low speed and, eventually, damage to the pump.

If the pump is already damaged changing the tank won't fix it, but it will prevent a new pump from ending up the same way.

And as it is a 15$ part that takes a few minutes to switch (especially when doing the pump), it is not much of a risk to take... :)

Nicolas

P.s. I just had the car's PS tank without having noise, just as a preventative thing, so I ate my own dog food. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i do have an extended warranty that will pay for it and its good for another 3700 miles (100k) but it only makes noise sometimes and the dealer wont say its bad unless they hear the noise so we have to wait till it makes the noise then take it there. They did replace the tank last time but if it wasnt the new one that explains it going bad again. Is the tank the same as the reservoir? Because my 86 prelude had the same reservoir is this van and my 90 integra, and every other honda ive seen. So i hope it will make the noise and i can get it to the dealership before 100k miles.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The new model tank has a white dot on its top.

Nicolas

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you can, have a video camera by your side in the van and take a video when you hear the noise. There was another poster that had the same probem with the dealer and would not repair the problem until they can hear the noise themselves. And since the PS issue is very random, he took a video and then brought it to the dealer and they then repaired it...

Joe05exl said:
Well i do have an extended warranty that will pay for it and its good for another 3700 miles (100k) but it only makes noise sometimes and the dealer wont say its bad unless they hear the noise so we have to wait till it makes the noise then take it there. They did replace the tank last time but if it wasnt the new one that explains it going bad again. Is the tank the same as the reservoir? Because my 86 prelude had the same reservoir is this van and my 90 integra, and every other honda ive seen. So i hope it will make the noise and i can get it to the dealership before 100k miles.

·
Registered
424 Posts
A couple of months back I took the van to the dealer for the PS noise and they told me I needed a new pump. My 06 Ody is off-warranty. I decided to take the car home and change the pump myself as I can do so for a lot less money than what the dealer wants. I did not know about this TSB. My car has all the symptoms; groaning noise, pump whine, and now the pump is leaking. Do I have a "case" if I come to the dealer with the TSB in-hand and ask them to resolve the problem (replace pump and reservoir) ??

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
TSB normally only covers repairs during warranty period. Obviously the dealer CAN try to get it covered if they really want...but that depends on your relationship with them. Mine wouldn't cover the reservoir replacement at 70k miles but they had covered some stuff out of warranty in the past.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have started wondering: Honda sold a car with a part (PS fluid tank) that was designed in a way that caused harm to another part (PS pump). They then made a new part available to resolve this problem, which should be considered an admission that the original part was badly designed.

Is it just me, and I am not particularly the suing kind, or does this read like a good class action suit? Honda should have to cover parts and work to replace the tank and pumps damaged by it.

Nicolas

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had the first pump(2005 ex) replaced at 22k squeeking when cold (below 32f) but only for a few minutes,, waited for a very cold day and took it to dealer,,, he heard it as I pulled up to service bay but it then noise stopped. They replace pump only. At 77k miles pump would not turn tires at idle (very hard to turn).

Dealer said I needed new pump again and wanted $650. I called the district manager and complained that they didn't fix it right the first time,, ie the new plastic tank,,, Honda payed $350, I paid $300,,, So yes call the district manager on the 800 number,, they do have hidden warrenties,, :D

·
Registered
424 Posts
Do you have that "800" number ?? I'd like to talk to a higher authority before arriving at the dealer. They were ready to charge me for a new pump when there was a TSB for a known problem that would, eventually, ruin the new pump anyway.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Can anyone confirm for me there is a filter at the very bottom of the PS Reservoir?

If so, one can argue removing the PS Reservoir and soak it in gasoline and flush it out from the bottom for a good cleanup.

Of course, the alternative is a new PS Reservoir.

·
Registered
513 Posts
cnn said:
Can anyone confirm for me there is a filter at the very bottom of the PS Reservoir?

If so, one can argue removing the PS Reservoir and soak it in gasoline and flush it out from the bottom for a good cleanup.

Of course, the alternative is a new PS Reservoir.
I tried looking at the old one but could not see anything.

As far as cleaning it, even if that was possible and effective there is a problem with its design, so cleaning will just push the problem down the road...

Nicolas

·
Registered
224 Posts
Shouldn't this problem have been corrected by 2010? That is if there was a solution.

This is not an easy solution and likely a failed design Honda isn't willing to own up to. Probably too expensive. If it were as simple as a reservoir issue, it would have been corrected on my 2010.

·
Registered
186 Posts
itr0754 said:
Do you have that "800" number ?? I'd like to talk to a higher authority before arriving at the dealer. They were ready to charge me for a new pump when there was a TSB for a known problem that would, eventually, ruin the new pump anyway.
call your local Honda service dept. Ask them for the 800 number to the Honda rep. There is a local Honda rep that they go to 1st,,, If he doesn't help ask for the Honda Corp number. Don't stop because they say no,, keep going (respectively) higher,,,

My 2nd pump replacement came with the new tank

1 - 20 of 23 Posts