Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
]I just replaced timing belt, water pump, pulleys etc...(major maint.)
I spent a week doing it by the book.
I just started it today, fired right over , idles pretty well.
But for some bizarre reason the power steering pump is foaming over and squeelling.I also noticed the heat is not coming on and temp gauge is climbing to high??? I am at a loss, I had no issues with pump or heat before maint.
I have no CEL on.
I made sure I did not damage any lines to power steering during maint.
I have no leaks under van except for the foaming power steering.

any help appreciated
thanks

·
Registered
447 Posts
The heat issue sounds like either the waterpump is not working or your thermostat is not opening.
The pump could be tested while still in the car by taking the rad hose off and starting the motor briefly. I would try another thermostat first. If you replaced it put the old one back in.
The PS pump: maybe the belt is too tight and it put too much pressure on berrings that were almost worn out.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
It's too bad that your first timing belt replacement DIY is not going according to plan. You may have a water pump not circulating the coolant for the no heat problem. Also, can you see the PS pump rotating? Foaming is air in the system. Common for the o-ring in the inlet to the PS reservoir to leak air. I am fairly confident that these issues are related to the timing belt service so I am attaching your thread on timing alignment that fits in to your current issues...
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/24-1999-2004-odyssey/153074-timing-belt-tdc-alignment-2004-a.html#post711386

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
Heat problem sounds like air trapped in the system. Air will also make the temperature guage read hot (false reading). Did you follow Honda's air bleed procedure? Is there enough coolant in the overflow reservoir?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HI
I am 99.9% percent sure about the cams/crank alignment. I checked it up and down the river. I made sure torque specs. are by the book. the van idles good, went for ride around 2miles struggling to steer and watching the heat rise fast . The cooling fans on radiator kicked in quickly, some thing I rarely ever see happen. PS rotates fine with new belt, just loud marbling squells whaen attempting to steer.I will check PS inlet oring for air issues
I am lost as to how air can get into a sealed system. I will admit the ps pump was making
some noise(nothing extreme) before all maint. I never changed the thermostat in 175k miles
maybe it got stuck closed while I did maint. for nearly week.
thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi
never knew of an air bleed procedure, do you mean air can be trappped in coolant system??

thanks

·
Registered
409 Posts
My PS pump did the same foaming and buzzing several weeks after I had the TB replaced by the dealer. Make sure the hose from the PS reservoir to the inlet to the PS pump is fully seated on both ends and secure. I ended up replacing the inlet hose since the ends lose their elasticity; they are rather inexpensive.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just got the heat working again, it must of been a stuck thermostat.
The steering is still foaming and buzzing but it is better ,but not normal..still has that pump moan when turning and feeling of lack of power steering.
I will check the hose like you mention.
thanks

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
You can try letting it sit so the foam all subsides then fill the reservoir, start and move the wheel lock to lock a few times. Once you get some foamy oil in the system it's not the easiest to get out. Moving the pump around is enough to get air in the line. There's a couple posts on the leaky o-ring, you may want to search that too. Did you replace the thermostat?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
It is tricky bleeding the coolant. Nose of the van in the air, heat on front and rear and let it idle till the temps in the back are as hot as the front vents. Likely air trapped in cooling system.
Change the two o-rings on the p/s pump and noise will improve.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
hi
never knew of an air bleed procedure, do you mean air can be trappped in coolant system??

thanks
Yes, mainly due to the rear heater. Like mjody said above, generally you turn front and rear heat on full and then run the engine until hot. Glad you got it working - if it was trapped air, it may have purged itself.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went for a 50 mile "joy" ride today, the heat cranks like new thankfully'
I the power steering is better but not quiet during turns/foaming.
I looked at the return PS feed and I can see how air could get in , it is just a quick
clamp.time to replace hose and clamps soon.

thanks

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I went for a 50 mile "joy" ride today, the heat cranks like new thankfully'
I the power steering is better but not quiet during turns/foaming.
I looked at the return PS feed and I can see how air could get in , it is just a quick
clamp.time to replace hose and clamps soon.

thanks
Just change the two o-rings and bleed the power steering by turning the wheel back and forth till it is quiet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for this pic...
it is just what i neded.
went over 100 miles test drive and still get that foaming/squeling during turns.
the good new is I think I put the timing belt in ok, and can deal with this .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hi
I still get foaming and a squel after nearly 700 miles of driving.
I am going to try replacing this o;ring.
Is this the o'ring from the high pressure side??
some threads mention a o'ring from fluid feed hose from reservoir, or am I mistaken.

thanks for this picture

·
Registered
409 Posts
No, the picture I posted shows the O-ring on the low pressure inlet tube, which connects to the reservoir feed. There is also an O-ring on the high pressure fitting that is attached to the top of the PS pump with two bolts; it's probably okay if it's not leaking around the flange.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wondering what year ody you have??
I have the 04 and it has no bolts or o'ring going from the reservoir to ps pump, just snap clamps on each end. the "elbow"on pump on low pressure side is cast /part of pump housing.

thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts