Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hmm. probably about a half hour work or maybe more for a professional. It probably took me about 5 hours to do myself, as it is a pain in the ass to thread in correctly and I did not position it correctly in my first attempts and it was quasi stuck. I think the dealer quoted around $220 for a new hose. Bought mine at autozone for $110. Your mechanic probably went to the dealer to be sure he would get the right hose. I tried to buy one on amazon for $45, but they refunded my money and said they could not deliver it, for some reason.That would seem to me to be an honest price for that repair. The hose goes down under the engine and across the bottom to the other side. Hard to get in place, as it has several bends and twists.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After checking further, I think it was an ok price, maybe better than ok. That will teach me not to ask for an estimate first. I only wished he had used the unopen bottle of Honda power steering fluid that I had setting between the front seats rather than charging me $10 for one that likely wasn't from Honda.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Pain in the butt job to snake that line in there in the garage on your back. I’d rather do a timing belt change than change that line again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I feel better about it now. When I had my oil changed last fall and I told my mechanic my power steering fluid was slowly leaking he looked at it and just said it needed a hose.
A couple of months later I called for an appointment to get the hose replaced and figured it would be simple, just a hose, so how much could it be? I should have asked for an estimate because it would have saved me the shock when I said, "this much for a hose!" He explained that there was a lot of labor involved and after looking online and seeing the average cost of a power steering pressure hose I now know I got a good deal at $275.
I only wished he would have used the unopened bottle of Honda power steering fluid I left on the tray between the front seats rather than charging me $10 for a unit of power steering fluid.

I also feel better now about having him do my timing belt later this year.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would have gladly paid $275. The hose and fixing the broken P/S pressure connector cost me $155.32 DIY. I couldn’t get one of the bracket bolts back on without 4 hands but the dealer was nice enough to put in for me on my next visit.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
Pain in the butt job to snake that line in there in the garage on your back. I’d rather do a timing belt change than change that line again.
Mine needs to be changed too. But I have been on the fence about DIY or shop.

Your experience has tipped me in favor of taking it to a shop. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much would it cost to have a power steering pressure hose replaced, parts and labor. A guesstimate.
Well I put a piece of cardboard under the car so I could check if it was still leaking power steering fluid.
Bummer--it is.
I wonder if this is one of those deals where they guess what is wrong and if that's not it you keep bringing it in until they stumble upon what's wrong. The problem is that you get to keep paying for everything along the way.
I wonder if I could get away simply putting in the small amount of fluid it leaks each week? I make a single hundred mile trip each week and then only a few miles around town. The reservoir only goes down a bit after the long drive.

·
Registered
689 Posts
All you can do is take it back and have them correct it. If you can find where the leak is coming from before taking it back would be better. I always urge folks to get or at least see the old part that was replaced whenever you have a shop do the work. This is an assurance that you see where the issue was and they are not ripping you off.

Did this repair a few months ago on my '99 and it cost me $21 for the hose and another $25 for the oem fluid. So far is nice and dry on all the connections.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just did mine on my 05 and what a pain in the ass only because bottom bolt insert connection was stripped bad but used a spring crowfoot wrench to loosen it up. Other than that being stripped it would have been an easy job and only cost me $45 which I bought on Ebay and all fit well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just did mine on my 05 and what a pain in the ass only because bottom bolt insert connection was stripped bad but used a spring crowfoot wrench to loosen it up. Other than that being stripped it would have been an easy job and only cost me $45 which I bought on Ebay and all fit well.
Well the hose cost me $160. When I had the car in for an oil change last November I told my mechanic about the leak and he glanced at it and said it was the hose. I drive the car very little except for a 100 mile trip once a week. The power steering fluid was full after I picked up the car because the bill indicated 1 unit was added. But after I got home from my trip yesterday I looked and saw the fluid was down. I also saw the nice, new power steering pressure hose as well. So I put a piece of cardboard under the car to check for leaks overnight and low and behold, there it was this morning.
I have to admit, I kind of disappointed.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
So I put a piece of cardboard under the car to check for leaks overnight and low and behold, there it was this morning.
It's probably just the lower connection that needs tightening. There's a certain tightening between too little and too much where it will seal and remain dry.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Lower hoses might be leaking too. I have them on my list to change.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well the hose cost me $160. When I had the car in for an oil change last November I told my mechanic about the leak and he glanced at it and said it was the hose. I drive the car very little except for a 100 mile trip once a week. The power steering fluid was full after I picked up the car because the bill indicated 1 unit was added. But after I got home from my trip yesterday I looked and saw the fluid was down. I also saw the nice, new power steering pressure hose as well. So I put a piece of cardboard under the car to check for leaks overnight and low and behold, there it was this morning.
I have to admit, I kind of disappointed.
Does it leak in the front left side or towards the back right side, right about where your back wheel is at? Check and see if he tighten 5/16 on upper hose to the fill container also a clip type clamp. Maybe he forgot to tighten them up. If by right side he could have not set bolt insert correctly. Hopefully he didn't strip it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Worse case scenario would be if the hard tubing end connection was installed hurriedly and got cross threaded. Leak location would be on the driver side.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does it leak in the front left side or towards the back right side, right about where your back wheel is at? Check and see if he tighten 5/16 on upper hose to the fill container also a clip type clamp. Maybe he forgot to tighten them up. If by right side he could have not set bolt insert correctly. Hopefully he didn't strip it.
The leaks form a rectangular pattern: In the front under the reservoir and then to the right, and then in nearly a straight line behind both of those points.
When the mechanic originally said, "it's the hose", I thought he meant the short hose that goes to the reservoir with a clamp at the top because it appeared to be leaking there and that's why I was shocked at the amount of the bill. These are just drips and not a puddle of any kind, but once they hit the pavement it spreads out to make a big stain, but obviously most of the fluid is lost from the reservoir while I make my weekly 100 mile trip. I put fluid back in for 5 months and in essence changed out my old power steering fluid and replace it with Honda power steering fluid.
I'm going to call my mechanic in a few minutes to see when I can get it in and I'll take along the piece of cardboard which shows where the leaks are.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took the car back in this morning for the mechanic to look at it and we looked together.
The power steering reservoir was full and I hadn't added any, but the cardboard I put under the car late Saturday afternoon after I had driven it about 2 hours on a hundred mile trip showed leak spots in 4 places: in the front to the left under the reservoir, hose area; about 8 inches in a line to the right of that; and 2 smaller spots behind each of those points.
The mechanic thought the spot to the right in the front seemed to come more from where it would be an oil leak but the oil dipstick showed it to be full. He thought maybe some of the spots came from the residue of the previous leak although he said he tried to clean it off after he put on the power steering pressure hose.
So he suggested I take it back home and check for leaks. I have put a new piece of cardboard under the area and don't intend to drive it until Saturday when I will be again taking a trip. But should I run the car for awhile each morning in place and turn the wheel some from left to right to see if it causes some leaks?

I had this car for 10 months and it never showed any leak underneath, not even a drop, and then in August I hit a deer (in nearly 50 years of driving I never hit a deer here in Wisconsin) and the next morning there was a spot under the car on the clean pavement and when I opened the hood it looked like it came from the power steering. It wasn't leaking a lot but it did leak so I simply bought some Honda power steering fluid and put some in each week after my trip. It used just less than a bottle in a month and so when I took it in I figured I had what amounted to a power steering fluid flush.
When I had it in for an oil change and mentioned it to the mechanic he looked and just said it was the hose and I thought he meant the short hose with clamps that went to the reservoir so you can imagine my surprise when he said the bill was $275 and that he had replaced the longer pressure hose which he charged me $160 but then the job was much less than the average cost I saw on a search.
I'm coming up on 200,000 miles and the timing belt is next so I'm guessing I'm at the point where it will always be something.
As far as working on the car myself, I'm an old, retired duffer and as Dirty Harry said, "a man's got to know his limitations" and I have neither the ability or place or tools to work on a car. Such is life.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
I have put a new piece of cardboard under the area and don't intend to drive it until Saturday when I will be again taking a trip. But should I run the car for awhile each morning in place and turn the wheel some from left to right to see if it causes some leaks?
It leaks only a few drops after your 2-hour, 100-mile trip, so I don't think a bit of idling would show anything.

Stay with your normal driving pattern and cardboard technique. Leaks can drip to the ground far from their origin, but knowing where they fall can at least give a mechanic a starting point from which to trace backward.

If the leak continues to be elusive, have the engine bay and front chassis thoroughly cleaned to help the mechanic spot the source.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts