Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It leaks only a few drops after your 2-hour, 100-mile trip, so I don't think a bit of idling would show anything.

Stay with your normal driving pattern and cardboard technique. Leaks can drip to the ground far from their origin, but knowing where they fall can at least give a mechanic a starting point from which to trace backward.

If the leak continues to be elusive, have the engine bay and front chassis thoroughly cleaned to help the mechanic spot the source.
When the car was up on the lift I held the cardboard where it had been under the car so he could see just where the leak spots were coming from. Since this started back in August when I hit the deer when before there were no leaks at all I had put the cardboard underneath several times and it always leaked in the same pattern as the one I just did.
The mechanic did say that he had thoroughly hosed down under the chassis and didn't see a leak.
Damn, that was my bragging point about the Odyssey, that it was parked in the same place for 10 months in front of my house with no sign of any kind of leaks on the pavement.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The leaks form a rectangular pattern: In the front under the reservoir and then to the right, and then in nearly a straight line behind both of those points.
When the mechanic originally said, "it's the hose", I thought he meant the short hose that goes to the reservoir with a clamp at the top because it appeared to be leaking there and that's why I was shocked at the amount of the bill. These are just drips and not a puddle of any kind, but once they hit the pavement it spreads out to make a big stain, but obviously most of the fluid is lost from the reservoir while I make my weekly 100 mile trip. I put fluid back in for 5 months and in essence changed out my old power steering fluid and replace it with Honda power steering fluid.
I'm going to call my mechanic in a few minutes to see when I can get it in and I'll take along the piece of cardboard which shows where the leaks are.
My leaks where about the same area and on my pressure hose ot was cracked on top right past the pump where aluminium or metal connection and rubber start. I had cleaned it a while back and noticed crack lines, so I pulled up on it a little and there was the problem. A few cracks small and a big one. I haven't had a chance to check for leaks but pavement on driveway says its good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The leaks form a rectangular pattern: In the front under the reservoir and then to the right, and then in nearly a straight line behind both of those points.
When the mechanic originally said, "it's the hose", I thought he meant the short hose that goes to the reservoir with a clamp at the top because it appeared to be leaking there and that's why I was shocked at the amount of the bill. These are just drips and not a puddle of any kind, but once they hit the pavement it spreads out to make a big stain, but obviously most of the fluid is lost from the reservoir while I make my weekly 100 mile trip. I put fluid back in for 5 months and in essence changed out my old power steering fluid and replace it with Honda power steering fluid.
I'm going to call my mechanic in a few minutes to see when I can get it in and I'll take along the piece of cardboard which shows where the leaks are.
it's good. This is the area I'm talking about where I found the cracks. Oh and actually I paid $27 and change for part, the $45 and change was for pump. Both new.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
lol, timing belt job isn't bad at all, but i'd rather replace the line again. Yes I've done both
You cannot drink beer while installing that line but you’ll need to afterwards. A timing belt installation allows for beer drinking DURING repair. I’ve done my TB twice which is better than doing a front timing cover on a old Ford Vulcan only because it takes half as long.

Actually, I rarely drink beer while working on any vehicle. Afterwards heck yeah!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts