Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of replacing the power steering hose (leaking from the top near the crimps), but the new hose flare nut won't tighten all the way down. I get almost all the way there, and then it stops and I can't tighten it anymore. There's about 2 threads left on it, but it won't budge. I made sure I didn't cross thread it, so I can't see why it won't go in all the way. Anyone have suggestions or anything? I'm getting really frustrated, which is making it harder for me to work. Plus it's about 30 degrees so that doesn't help. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
368 Posts
I am in the process of replacing the power steering hose (leaking from the top near the crimps), but the new hose flare nut won't tighten all the way down. I get almost all the way there, and then it stops and I can't tighten it anymore. There's about 2 threads left on it, but it won't budge. I made sure I didn't cross thread it, so I can't see why it won't go in all the way. Anyone have suggestions or anything? I'm getting really frustrated, which is making it harder for me to work. Plus it's about 30 degrees so that doesn't help. Thanks guys!
Are you replacing it with an aftermarket one? Maybe the bolt is too long and bottomed out.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
514 Posts
Or maybe, the original "washer" is in the "hole". ie. you have 2 washers instead of 1. Hope this makes sense.
(like when changing oil filter, always be sure oil washer is still attached to your used oil filter).
Good luck.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Maybe, 2 threads left, is correct? See if you can find another same year odyssey, and compare. Or ask a friendly mechanic. Or just start engine, and see if it leaks.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The flare but is prevented from tightening when the line flare is in intimate contact with the fitting. That is tight, not bottoming the threads out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply guys. I checked some other videos, and it looks like it's supposed to stick out a bit. I don't remember it being like that when I took it off, but it could've been and I just didn't see it.Gonna try it and start it up and see if it leaks. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was gonna' say.....

Take the old line and cut the pipe right at the nut.

Use that nut (the original) and a socket wrench and run it in and out a few times.

Then see how you new one threads in

·
Registered
713 Posts
I think that is the way it is designed - to make sure you have enough thread left over to make sure it is really tight. If it was engineered to go all the way with no threads visible, you could not tighten it all the way, cause there is nothing left to tighten!

·
Registered
514 Posts
[QUOTE="parmm, post: 2355478, member: 542105"
I think that is the way it is designed - to make sure you have enough thread left over to make sure it is really tight. If it was engineered to go all the way with no threads visible, you could not tighten it all the way, cause there is nothing left to tighten!
[/QUOTE]
"tapered" - A lot of plumbing pipes are made that way. The diameter of the pipe increases the further away you are from the end of the pipe. Insures a tighter leak proof fit. (Not sure if this applies to this situation).

·
Registered
29 Posts
So, what replacement hose did you buy? OEM or aftermarket? If aftermarket, what's the brand?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, what replacement hose did you buy? OEM or aftermarket? If aftermarket, what's the brand?
Sorry for the late reply, I got an after market one from parts geek. It was supposed to stick out a little bit, I guess I just didn't notice it when I took the oem one out. Fit perfectly though, no leaks.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
I've installed two of these in recent memory on our Gen 2 Odysseys, tightened them with a flare wrench (probably overtightened them, as I did not have a suitable 14mm flare nut torque adapter), and both had a few threads showing after proper torque was applied. No leaks.

Both are OEM hose assemblies.

OF

1 - 13 of 13 Posts