Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a letter from Honda today stating they are extending the warranty on the PS pump to 100,000 miles or 7 years for the 2007-2010 model years. If you've already paid to have one fixed you can apply for reimbursement.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I said, a letter from Honda. Title is: Warranty Extension: Steering Wheel Is Hard to Turn at Low Speeds and Engine RPM

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got the same for my '06 and said the warranty was for '06 to '10. If you already paid for replacement (as did I) you need the invoice with VIN, mileage, and date as well as proof of payment (receipt, credit card statement, etc.). Then fill out the form and send it in...mine went out the next day!

·
Super Moderator
13,838 Posts
I got my letter today as well. My buddy who also has a 2007 hasn't gotten his yet.

·
Registered
755 Posts
so why in the world 05s are not on the list???

·
Registered
286 Posts
My letter said the 2007-2010 models received the 7yr/100K extension.
It was a bummer for the 2005 not to get the extension.
Having said that, weren't some of the 2005 vans put in service in late 2004 ?
And quite a few 2005 are coming close to the 100K-mile mark ?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe the 2005s had a different pump.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I received the same letter from Honda yesterday, too.

Luckily my '07 EX-L (w/ 58K miles) isn't currently showing this "hard to turn" symptom (perhaps per "TSB 07-005" power-steering reservoir replacement in April '10 - more on that below). So, for now, I just keep this letter in a safe place as a coupon for later use (if/when this happens, before 100K/7yrs), right?

Also, per info/advice from this "Power Steering Pump" thread, I replaced the power-steering reservoir, whose filter is said to be too fine, getting unnecessarily-prematurely clogged up. (The thread advises to replace the reservoir/cheap to save the pump/expensive.) So, my pump is still the originial. (And I already forgot how often to replace the reservoir per that thread.)

By the way, with this Honda letter, do I get a new-and-improved pump, or is it still the same design as the original? Also, even with a new pump (whether original design or new/improved), wouldn't I still have a same issue with the reservoir being as such?

Thanks,
- PiroChu

·
Registered
286 Posts
The reservoir on my 2008 Ody (bought used) already had the mark, indicating that it was a new-improved one.
(Perhaps the previous owner had brought the van in for the reservoir replacement).

But it was still hard to turn the steering when I brought the van home,
so I brought it to the dealer again and they installed a new PS pump and a new O ring.

Here's the new part numbers:
Power Steering Pump Sub Assembly: P/N 56110-RGL-A03
Power Steering Pump Outlet Hose O-ring: P/N 91345-RDA-A01

·
Registered
128 Posts
Van delivered brand new Nov 2005. The manual in the car says 2006.

Just got the letter saying my '2005' might need new ps pump. Extension of warranty to 7 yrs and 160,000km (100,000miles)

I do have the symptoms. Called dealer up and told them i have the symptoms. They ordered the part and said book an appt to replace it. Do not have time to bring it in yet.

I would not think it should be different up here in Canada:huh:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I got the same for my '06 and said the warranty was for '06 to '10. If you already paid for replacement (as did I) you need the invoice with VIN, mileage, and date as well as proof of payment (receipt, credit card statement, etc.). Then fill out the form and send it in...mine went out the next day!
Got my letter on Friday from Honda Canada. Mine says 160,000km or 7 years whichever comes first.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Van delivered brand new Nov 2005. The manual in the car says 2006.

Just got the letter saying my '2005' might need new ps pump. Extension of warranty to 7 yrs and 160,000km (100,000miles)

I do have the symptoms. Called dealer up and told them i have the symptoms. They ordered the part and said book an appt to replace it. Do not have time to bring it in yet.

I would not think it should be different up here in Canada:huh:
Mine's an 2006 also and got the same 2005 letter. Looks like I might have to send in the 'Do we have it right" card. I bought ours new in June of 2006.

·
Registered
7 Posts
so why in the world 05s are not on the list???
2005 extensions came out first, I think, and were limited to 05 only, so these new letters coming out are covering more years.

I got this same kind of letter for my 05 this summer (July 2011), and had the pump replaced under this program at that time.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Got mine yesterday. Honda said they had to book me in for an inspection first and then book another appointment to replace it. So silly as the service manager already knows its buggered up from past conversations.

Question is do I wait to the very bitter end to replace it so I maximize the life of my existing but somewhat defective pump or just do it and call it a day? I literally just had the ps fluid changed!

·
Super Moderator
1,247 Posts
Go get it done. They don't replace the power steering fluid anymore with the pump install, as they found the fluid is not contaminated or affected. They just top off the fluid if needed and bleed air from the system.

·
Registered
73 Posts
or just do it and call it a day?
I have the same question/concern. My '07 is just under 60K, so I was wondering whether to wait till closer to 100K/7yrs.

I'd like to score a free pump, of course. So, if I were to get it done now anyway (though I don't have the 'heavy steering feel' right now), I wonder if the dealer is going to give me the same routine: [A] bring in for diagnose/estimate (which is not free), then decide on outcome (mine's symptom-free right now, so they may just say "no need" and charge me for [A]?).

Anyway, I was told of [A]+ when I approached them about PS reservoir per TSB, so that's why I'm skeptical.

What do you guys think?
- PiroChu

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just called a local Honda dealership, and they said it's just a warranty extension, so no replacement unless the symptom already exists.

In that case, I guess I'll just have to keep/save this letter until 100K/7yrs in case the symptom occurs by then. (no action now)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I got mine earlier this week. No problems yet on our 09 EX-L with 22k but I will save the letter for future reference if necessery.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts