Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...with a $0.10 O-ring

My PS pump on my '99 was making whining noises on cold days (< 40F). After reading these forums, I checked for an air leak on the suction line. Replaced the O-ring on the suction fitting on the pump and problem went away. I just used one of the extra green O-rings I had left over from an AC o-ring kit. I hope it is compatible with PS fluid. The one bolt holding the fitting on was a l3i+ch to get at. I had to remove a bracket that was holding a wire to the alternator to get enough stroke on the 10mm combo wrench.

OT... I just ordered some Monroe quick struts and some KYB rear shocks for this beast.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an '03 Oddy with 145k miles. It just started making a whining noise dependant on engine speed. I believe it's a PS pump. The fluid get's a purge once every 20k miles (drain and Fill) I noticed this time the color of the fluid is much darker than other drains. Are the pumps easy to rebuid? Installing a seal kit looks straightforward, or are there other considerations on a home rebuild? Would an in-line throw away filter and an add on cooler be a good thing or overkill. I'm looking for longevity and plan on driving it until the wheel fall off. I live in Wisconsin so the temp swings might be an issue. We notice the steering to be much tighter in the cold weather until the system warms up.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<<Would an in-line throw away filter and an add on cooler be a good thing or overkill.>>

I think that would be overkill. I have to admit I only just replaced my PS fluid recently at 225k miles. It looked like a dark rich roux.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Can anyone please post how you can go about replacing this o ring you are speaking of?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Not sure if there's a way to access the single bolt that fastens the inlet elbow to the pump while its bolted in place, but I had to remove the pump anyways to rebuild/replace it. The general steps to remove the pump are.

1. Loosen the pump and remove the belt from pulley.

2. Disconnect the inlet hose (clamp inlet hose to minimize oil spillage) from pump.

3. Disconnect high pressure hose from top of pump (suggest replacing the O-ring on the high-pressure line too).

4. Unbolt and remove Pump.

5. Remove inlet elbow, replace O-Ring then reinstall elbow.

6. Re-install pump, re-connect hoses and adjust belt tension. Don't forget to remove hose clamp.

7. Check oil in reservoir and make sure it's between min and max. Start the motor and check fluid level again.

8. Bleed PS system.

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
If you just want to replace the O-ring:

- Unmount the pump (belt adjuster bolt plus adjuster nut) leaving the hoses in place
- Remove the inlet bolt
- Wiggle the elbow out
- Replace the O-ring on the elbow (lube with PS fluid first)
- Clean out the pump bore
- Re-install the elbow (carefully to not damage the O-ring)
- Torque the elbow bolt to 8 lb/ft (while holding the pump with one hand)
- Remount the pump and loosely insert the rear pivot bolt and the adjustment mechanism nut
- Adjust the belt tension
- Tighten the adjustment nut and rear pivot bolt to 17 lb/feet
- Done

·
Registered
130 Posts
Is it safe to assume the o rings do not come with the new pump? Can you buy the o rings from a parts store or are they a dealer only item?

·
Registered
409 Posts
I bought a re-manufactured pump from Autozone and it did come with O-rings for both the inlet and outlet, but I prefer to use Honda O-rings. The re-manufactured pump, however did not come with the inlet elbow or the pulley so I had to take them off the OEM pump prior to giving it up for the core. In retrospect I should have kept the old pump because the core was only $20, plus the fact that I had just rebuilt it with new internal O-rings. Seems like all the re-manufactured pumps, regardless of where you buy, are entirely covered with a coat of thick black paint ... even over the bearing :(; sloppy work in my mind, but after a year and a half it's still working ok.

·
Registered
253 Posts
...with a $0.10 O-ring
My PS pump on my '99 was making whining noises on cold days (< 40F). After reading these forums, I checked for an air leak on the suction line. Replaced the O-ring on the suction fitting on the pump and problem went away. I just used one of the extra green O-rings I had left over from an AC o-ring kit. I hope it is compatible with PS fluid. The one bolt holding the fitting on was a l3i+ch to get at. I had to remove a bracket that was holding a wire to the alternator to get enough stroke on the 10mm combo wrench.
OT... I just ordered some Monroe quick struts and some KYB rear shocks for this beast.
I had this problem over a year ago after bumping into the PS line after changing the passenger side mount. I removed the same wire harness bracket and was able to take off the PS inlet without removing the pump. I replaced with a similar O ring I had on-hand and all has been well since. Just thought I would also add it is possible to replace without removing the pump.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I replaced the PS inlet O-ring a while back. It is leaking drops at the bolt underneath for sometime now. I do have to top of the PS fluid every now and then.

What is a good fix? Should I put some of that hondabond/toyota black silicone/plumbing tape on the bolt?

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
Are you sure it's leaking through the bolt? I don't recall there being PS fluid behind it.

Dave

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
The only drip is from the bolt. The top is also dirty but no fresh oil around. Will clean off again check back next day.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I found the leak to be coming from the suction inlet above PS pump with 2 10mm bolts. I got the o-ring (#23 in PS Lines diagram) from stealership for $1.35. Replaced it. When I took out I am sure some more air went into the already bubbling system. I guess bleeding is next. The whine on turns is more today than before the o-ring replacement. Hope this is not a sign of bad PS pump.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Exactly what problems will I have if my Power Steering Pump fails on me? I have "the whine", so mine is most certainly going out, and I am wondering whether this is like a timing belt and should be fixed now, or like a bulb that can be fixed when it fails.

Thanks!

2001 EX, 175,000 miles.

·
Registered
820 Posts
When the pump fails while driving, you will have no power steering so the steering wheel will be very very very heavy to turn (much heavier than a car with manual steering). Making the van unsteerable, you can easily get into an accident. Should you be lucky enough and not hit or get hit by anyone and maneuver your van to the side, you can fix/replace the pump after. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
Use only Honda OEM PSF or Honda/Acura-specific PSF. I'm still using MasterPro PSF (for Honda and Acura) from O'Reilly's in all 3 of our Hondas, and it has served well for use at an excellent price point.

There is nothing special to the seals used in our Honda power steering systems, and that's the problem. Basic, severely refined Honda PSF, with its lack of a huge additives package, works well in our basic PS systems. Modern ATF's or PSF's for other systems may cause seal degradation. I've seen Dexron III ATF do this twice.

If you stick with Honda or PSF made especially for Honda, you'll be okay (I used Coastal's brand of Honda/Acura-specific PSF, and now use MasterPro's Honda/Acura formulation).

OF

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
OF,
I noticed that the Lubegard says:
"LUBEGARD® Power Steering Fluid Protectant
Enhances ALL power steering fluids & can be used to enhance standard power steering fluid into Honda PS fluid! Extends system and fluid life, as well as eliminates noises & steering stiffness."
Power Steering
So, it sounds like you can use any standard ps fluid and just add the required dosage to it. Would you chance it? :ahh:
Buffalo4

1 - 20 of 49 Posts