Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever have a leak from the power steering pressure switch? I'm chasing down a power steering fluid leak and it seems to be coming from that switch. The connector was ripped apart, which seems to be a common problem. However, it appears that fluid drips out of the switch itself, *NOT* where it screws into the hose/pipe. Looks like it comes right out of the connector area of the switch. It's a 2004 Ody.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
It is possible. I have had it happen to oil pressure switches. The seal between the steel part and connector starts leaking. I had one on my daughters car that just started spewing oil. It dumped a quart of oil by the time she noticed it and pulled off the road. Replace it and it will go away.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I figure the switch is just a membrane that's crimped in place by the steel housing. Sure seems to be leaking from inside the switch and I was just surprised nobody else had posted about it before. The switch is cheap enough, just hoping I don't break the PS line that it's attached to!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, looks like it was the switch. I tried replacing it myself, but couldn't find a way to remove it without breaking the hard line that it was attached to. Not enough room to get a second wrench in their to hold the line steady and also unscrew the switch. Decided to take it to the dealer since it looked like that PS line went deep in the bowels of the steering rack and I didn't feel like having to drop it to replace the line if I broke it. Dealership looked at me like I had two head when I said the switch was leaking, but they said they'd take a look. Turns out they had to remove the axle to get enough room to replace the switch (which I provided). Happy to not be leaving oil trails on the driveway anymore!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been noticing a leak near the passenger side wheel. It is PS fluid. It's been watered down by the water coming off the AC pipe & dehydrator after the van is shut off. It finally stopped raining today so I jacked up the ole girl (232k miles now on 03 Ody). The right boot was wet with fluid, but it wasn't cracked or loose anywhere. All the lines seemed to be dry as well as the rest of the rack and pump. I pulled the pressure switch out, and the fluid was dripping out of the switch itself. Was considering ordering the switch and installing it, though it is very tight quarters in there, and I don't have access to a rack. Thank you for posting about the cv axle. I think I'll take mine in and let them replace it then. I'm just glad it's not the rack itself!

·
Registered
40 Posts
My friend was giving me his 2000 Chrysler Town and Country but he told me that it had a leak and that you would have to fill it every 30 minutes with control fluid but when I started driving it I noticed that it was leaking really fast at the base there is also signs that it's splashing on the belt and the pulleys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts