Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.......What in the world can be done to squeeze more power out of these engines? My 97 Ody only has 138k on it, but what a dog? I am willing to sink about $500 for this purpose alone....ideas?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Sigh.....
It has 140hp and needs to rev. What are your expectations? For $500 forget it, there are no kickintheass power mods. We have had ours loaded with two kids and luggage to the roof and climbed the Coquihalla (lon steep hills) in 95 degree heat easily.

·
Registered
83 Posts
These first model Odessey's are awesome in many ways--reliable, reasonable fuel economy, great cargo capacity for size, and flexible interior lay-out. These cars are not fast, though i commute through downtown Atlanta, where driving is aggressive, and the Ody gives me what I need to merge and get 'er done--especially when empty. If you're looking for something that is fast, you may have chosen the wrong car.

These Ody's are a bit like a modern-day VW Microbus.

OTOH, if there is something wrong with the engine, the car might be under-performing. Is this possible?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Even if you were to find something that'll boost the HP in these engines, you'll seriously compromise the transmission's reliability because it (more than likely) won't be able to handle it.

These transmissions are already giving quite a few 1st gen Ody Owners problems on the stock HP output. And asking more from them is basically asking for a disaster. Personally, I'd leave the engine as-is. But, keep up with it's regularly scheduled maintenance.

Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok....thanks for all of the input guys. No, I do not think there is anything wrong with the engine. And while I am not (really) comparing the Ody to my Volvo, which is an entirely different animal, I thought maybe there should be more available in the way of power. As it would appear that this is not the case, so be it. We do still love our Odyssey!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts