Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have experience with the precut clear bra for our vans? I've seen them on ebay and was wondering the quality and ease of application. My experience have been with some vinyl but that's about it. I'm not expecting where I can't tell it's on but maybe you can tell only if you're up close.

Any input would be appreciated!

-Moto

·
Registered
16 Posts
Problem with precut clear bra is that it gets expensive when you ask someone to install it. Also from a period of time you have to take it out and redo it with a new one because it might damage your paint.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I plan to do the install myself so that would lower the expense a little (assuming I don't screw it up). I have a clear bra installed on another vehicle and haven't had any issues but that was professionally installed with a quality product. This one, I'm willing to buy off ebay and try to install it myself but wanted to see if anybody had personal experience with the products itself and/or installation. 3M is going for $220.00 and RVinyl is about $60 if I remember correctly. I'm guessing 3M is the better product but I may try RVinyl just to practice with. :)

Thanks for the input.
-Moto

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought the VentureShield (later bought out by 3M) kit for my Pilot off ebay - think I paid around $145. I had looked at directions, watched several videos, and thought "I could do that". Well, it's not that easy, especially in concave areas. I was going on my first road trip to CO and snow areas, so left it on. As soon as I got home, I pulled it off. Couldn't stand the slight defects. A few months later, I went to a professional installer and had it installed for $650. Looks great. It's been on over 5.5 yrs., 11 trips to CO, and 55K miles now and has really done the job protecting the paint, headlights, and fog lights. My grill and windshield are really pitted, but paint still looks new on the front.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've heard this from others. That's why I'm willing to dish out the $60 first to see how it goes. I think patience is the key.

Thanks for the input.
-Moto

I bought the VentureShield (later bought out by 3M) kit for my Pilot off ebay - think I paid around $145. I had looked at directions, watched several videos, and thought "I could do that". Well, it's not that easy, especially in concave areas. I was going on my first road trip to CO and snow areas, so left it on. As soon as I got home, I pulled it off. Couldn't stand the slight defects. A few months later, I went to a professional installer and had it installed for $650. Looks great. It's been on over 5.5 yrs., 11 trips to CO, and 55K miles now and has really done the job protecting the paint, headlights, and fog lights. My grill and windshield are really pitted, but paint still looks new on the front.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's a little more than patience. It's technique. There are little tricks the installers use that I never saw in any instructions or videos. Like the way they do little extra cuts at corners and bends to make the film fit better. In my case, if I had see a Pilot beforehand with the film installed, I could have inspected it and seen what was done and probably had better luck with it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a couple of my cars done professionally through the dealership. I watched when the installer did it, it wasn't that hard to do. But you are right about the little tricks they use to get it perfect. At that point I decided that it was I was able to do it, but I didn't WANT to do it. So I got the number of the installer and made friends with him (gave him business), he has done my last four cars all for far less than the dealer wanted. My opinion is since you had it done before, call the installer and ask if he would do it. Most of the time they will want to do it as they make more money, and you pay less also, win win.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've not done this to my odyssey, but did on an Accord. I'm good with my hands, but this did not go well for me. It went on fine and would protect the paint, but it was very difficult to make look invisible. Small wrinkles, trapped bubbles, etc. all combine to make this a difficult job to do yourself. This is one thing, probably the only thing, I'd have done by a professional on my car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts