Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Ok, so I have a 2001 EX with 130,000 miles on it. Of those, about 80,000 are highway miles. The van has never (ever!) been used for "commuting". Just running around town and long drives.

The ATF was flushed at 95,000 miles. I've never had any indication anything is wrong with the AT.

Question: I can get a rebuilt AT put in for $2,500. Should I put a new AT in as a "preemptive strike" before possible AT failure, or should I just wait it out? I presume that there is not a 100% failure rate on the AT.

Are there any associated issues with an AT failure on the vehicle as opposed to getting the AT replaced before failure?

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
Sounds like you have some serious cash on hand. So, I have got this special blinker fluid that is recommended for your 2001. Its normally $5,000 but since you are a member on here, I will give you a discount of 50% so it will only be $2,500. Let me know and I will PM you my paypal address. ;)

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
I'd wait it out - it may not fail on you - seriously.

There are no guarantees on the remanufacturerd transmission as well.

Put that $2,500 away in a savings earning high %...

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
dvpatel said:
Sounds like you have some serious cash on hand. So, I have got this special blinker fluid that is recommended for your 2001. Its normally $5,000 but since you are a member on here, I will give you a discount of 50% so it will only be $2,500. Let me know and I will PM you my paypal address. ;)
Do you offer any type of discounts if I buy more than 1?

New Dad New Van said:
Put that $2,500 away in a savings earning high %...
Of course, this is the best advice!

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
psu ody fan said:
Do you offer any type of discounts if I buy more than 1?
50% is the best I can do so its still $2,500 for each case of blinker fluid regardless of quantity that you puchase. I got kids to feed man.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This blinker fluid stuff sounds like a Multi Level Marketing Scheme that I just can't ignore...what an awesome forum!!

I figured that I'd wait for the AT to blow, but thanks for the input....

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
MontanaProf said:
This blinker fluid stuff sounds like a Multi Level Marketing Scheme that I just can't ignore...what an awesome forum!!
Just be careful when DV offer to sell you the rights to odyclub.......:D

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
MontanaProf said:
This blinker fluid stuff sounds like a Multi Level Marketing Scheme that I just can't ignore...what an awesome forum!!....
MProf, we like your style!

OF

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
psu ody fan said:
Just be careful when DV offer to sell you the rights to odyclub.......:D
The trick is for me to buy them rights first off of Jim.

:stupid:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Put money into premptive maintenance like a transmission cooler, magnefine filter, and synthetic fluid. It will cost less and be a good preventative.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Don't replace it if it is not broke!

I could not agree more with gregersonke...the things he notes will surely add some extra life to your Ody.

Add a magenfine filter ($20 roughly) and in my personal opinion stop using the Honda Z-1 and switch to a full synthetic such as the Amsoil Universal Synthetic (which I use) or Redline ATF which is compatible with the Honda Odyssey. A transmission cooler is always an excellent idea and I have heard good things about the stack-plated designs such as the one B&M makes.

You might have much more time before you will need to replace the tranny so don't give them your money yet :)

·
Registered
664 Posts
I actually put away the cash to replace my transmission to because I picked my Ody up from my dad when it had 109k on it and the tq converter was whinning. I did the above mentioned maintenance work and it quieted down the whine, but I've traveled roughly 50k with it and no problems yet. Then again, I'm changing out 3 quarts every 15k along with the oil and filter. The only thing I'm thinking about getting is a remote filter to make changing the transmission filter easier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts