Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hand. My wife is going on a 200 mile trip(4hr) by herself, meh, not that far, but she is going by herself. We have had a oil change every 3k miles. Filter changed last week. New battery last week, New tires on four corners. Her car has 76,000 miles, should i look @ getting the transmission fluid changed before she leaves out, what about the power steering fluid. Its dirty and original fluid. The power steering whines after long drives, but i think its related to the service bulletin honda released awhile back. Maybe im just worrying to much. Im thinking about renting a car for her to drive but i think i may be worrying to much, car has never given us problems, other than battery which is changed out now.

2006 honda ody, base version.

·
Registered
134 Posts
i wouldn't mess with it. at this point, any maintenance you do last minute is more likely to be the cause of a failure than to prevent a failure. in my opinion, anyway.

change that trans fluid 3x when she gets back. ps fluid too.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
The power steering whines after long drives, but i think its related to the service bulletin honda released awhile back...
I changed my PS Reservoir and it fixed my PS whining issue.
It was a clogged PS Reservoir.

I wrote it up here see thread #25:
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/77121-power-steering-pump-replacement-diy-2.html

The bottom line is that you need:
- PS Reservoir ($12 at dealer)
- 6 bottles of PS fluid

A very simple but satisfying project!

PS: I agree with Bill that you should not any major repair at the last minute because it may create even more problems.
So do the PS thingy when she gets back.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I changed my PS Reservoir and it fixed my PS whining issue.
It was a clogged PS Reservoir.

I wrote it up here see thread #25:
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/77121-power-steering-pump-replacement-diy-2.html

The bottom line is that you need:
- PS Reservoir ($12 at dealer)
- 6 bottles of PS fluid

A very simple but satisfying project!

PS: I agree with Bill that you should not any major repair at the last minute because it may create even more problems.
So do the PS thingy when she gets back.
You guys are right, ill do the trans fluid change when she returns, and the power steering pump, i was this close to booking a rent a car but its only a 200 mile trip and i used to drive my 25 year old chevy caprice from md to nc while in college weekly and didnt even think twice about it on bald tires and never having a oil change. Im worrying to much, thanks fellas.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Pack a box with blankets for each occupant, extra water bottles, flares, a compass, a portable CB radio, extra food rations, a mirror for signaling, a sharp knife, some rope, and... :huh:

:frown:

Oh, wait a minute... you said 200 miles? :rollingeyes:

Oh. Never mind. She'll be just fine... :tongue:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pack a box with blankets for each occupant, extra water bottles, flares, a compass, a portable CB radio, extra food rations, a mirror for signaling, a sharp knife, some rope, and... :huh:

:frown:

Oh, wait a minute... you said 200 miles? :rollingeyes:

Oh. Never mind. She'll be just fine... :tongue:
lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
New wiper blades, full washer tank and clean windows inside and out.
I'd be more comfortable in my own vehicle than a rental for such a short period. Rental will have differant feel, sounds and all the controls, knobs etc. in unfamiluar places.
Will be an adventure, she'll do just fine and come home more confident in herself.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
we ended up renting a car as she told me her powersteering is really loud in the morning by the time she gets to work, I wish she would have told me this awhile go so we could have had the problem fixed, Ill guess ill have time to do it this weekend since ill be home by myself

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Ill guess ill have time to do it this weekend since ill be home by myself
Sorry, but you will not have time. The guys are all coming over with a keg of beer and some cards. Poker game starts about 10 minutes after she pulls out of the driveway, and the strippers show up at 10!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts