Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer called this morning and said they were unloading my Odyssey as we spoke. I wanted to pick it up this afternoon, but he said I cant cause they needed to prep my car. Does prepping take all day? Is this true? I also ask how many miles on the car after they done "prepping" and he said around 12 - 18 miles. Does this seem alot?

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HK_dude:
My dealer called this morning and said they were unloading my Odyssey as we spoke. I wanted to pick it up this afternoon, but he said I cant cause they needed to prep my car. Does prepping take all day? Is this true? I also ask how many miles on the car after they done "prepping" and he said around 12 - 18 miles. Does this seem alot?
</font>
Sounds like future customers are getting test drives.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
When I ordered my Ody, I had the dealer agree that mine would not be used for test drives. Of course, that didn't mean that it wouldn't get driven, we all know how (most) dealers are about promises.

If my dealer had said there would be that many miles on it, I would stop by earlier in the day before it was supposed to be ready, just to see if it was being used for a demo.

I think that if a dealer wants to use a car for demos, he should keep one just for that purpose, then sell it as a demo later on. He shouldn't allow salesreps and customers to mess around, laying patches of rubber, trying out the ABS, etc..

We got ours with four miles on it.

Maybe this is something to add to the checklist, setting the expectation level of how many miles one should see on the vehicle and whether or not it will be used for demos.

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mine had 8 miles on it. They are supposed to go through a checklist with a road test. Also they take it to a car wash to wash it and to a gas station to fill up the gas tank. Depending on the location of your dealer, the mileage to accomplish this might vary.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was called on a SAT and told mine was in, but wouldn't be ready until the following Monday. I'm sure they go through a procedure. Although it probably doesn't take that long, if they have a new truckload of vehicles in to be prepped, it has to wait in line.

The prep would involve removing all the packing and transport materials, and then giving the vehicle a thorough check. I was even given a checklist that my salesman supposedly went through, and it was signed by him.

What impressed me is that the dealer prep not only filled the tank and such, but set all the radio buttons to local stations.

·
Registered
27 Posts
ours came with 14 kilometers about 9 miles
a full tank of gas and radio preset to local stations, our salesman also sat we us in the vehicle for about 15 minutes going over all the settings for heating air conditioning, lights, wipers, radio, exterior mirrors, seats etc.We are quite pleased with the service we received from Raymond Li at T&T Honda in Calgary

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ours came with 8 miles. It was supposed to be ready when we came in, but was not. Took about an hour for them to clean it up, put in the mats, etc. The crew was finishing up when the salesman took us through the dashboard and seats.

------------------
2002 LX

·
Registered
24 Posts
When I first went to the dealer to look at the new 2002 Ody's, there were four of them on the lot. All of them were already sold. Luckily, one of the vans had was in the color I wanted (SS-L). The dealer showed me the vehicle and I was able to sit in the driver's seat and check out the features of the van. He would not allow anyone to take a test drive, since the van was already sold.

In my opinion, if the van was placed on order, it would be WRONG for the dealer to allow another customer to take the van for a test drive. My Ody had six miles on it when I bought it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My Odyssey had 5 miles on it when we bought it. I think that's reasonable. Our dealer was very careful not to let anyone else drive the vehicle, but I am sure that folks got to see the inside of the car, as my Ody was in the middle of the showroom floor.

------------------
2002 GG EX-L RES
1996 BMW 328i Manual Sport Pack w/goodies

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had atleast a half hour introduction to my new Odyssey. The dealer started at the drivers side door, power seat adjustments, etc, sliding doors, gas filler, rear gate, magic seat, middle row seat removeable, then under the hood, all of the fluid checks, what oil to use, what ATF fluid, etc, then inside and went through all of the controls, heater and AC, set the radio presets. I had never been treated like this when I bought a car. It blew me away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine had 6 miles on it also. As far as pre-delivery inspection goes, Honda used to ship all cars with a thick coating of a petroleum jelly like substance. It took quite awhile to get it all removed and ready for delivery. This was to protect the vehicles during shipping. Even after they begin building vehicles in the states, they still used this technique. Not sure if they still do this or not.

BTW, don't make too much of the local radio pre-sets. Most of the radios have a feature that searches for the stongest signals in your area.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If they still ship with this petroleum jelly stuff it might lessen the need for using Zaino clay-bar, yes? No rail dust etc. to worry about.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I picked our new Odyssey up Wednesday it had 6 miles on it. Man what a big change inside with leather and DVD.
This is my second Odyssey in two years from the Bowling Green, Ky. dealer and it wont be the last, they offered me $22.500 for my 32K 00 two months ago and stuck to it.
Eddy

02 Odyssey
00 Yukon XL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts