Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 120k miles
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The front lower control arm rear bushings have looked cracked and torn since about 60k miles. At 198k, they're finally looking like they need to be replaced, so I bought some new ones. It looks pretty straight forward to remove the control arm, but I'll then need to press out the old ones and press in the new ones. And I don't have a press.

Does anyone have any tips on whether it is feasible to rig up some way of doing this with a vise or something? Recommendations on a bench-top press? Not that I need more tools, but I figure that by the time I pay someone else to do it, I could almost buy myself the tool I need. Is this right?

Has anyone done this job?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but I recently was faced with task of replacing worn lower control arm bushings and I decided to just buy entire new control arms. Since I was doing the installation myself, the hassle of having the car up on stands while I went around to a shop to get bushings and ball joints pressed in (your time plus gas plus shop costs) just didn't seem worth it.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but I recently was faced with task of replacing worn lower control arm bushings and I decided to just buy entire new control arms. Since I was doing the installation myself, the hassle of having the car up on stands while I went around to a shop to get bushings and ball joints pressed in (your time plus gas plus shop costs) just didn't seem worth it.
I know what you mean regarding time + shop costs. That's why I'm considering buying a hydraulic press. It's not like I've got lots of extra room in the garage for it, and I have made it a long way in life without owning one ...

How many miles were on your car when you replaced them? Were only the rear bushings bad, or the fronts too? Any noticeable difference in handling afterwards?

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Both my front and rear bushings on both sides were cracking badly at 160 K miles. The van was crashing badly on rough roads and wallowed in corners. The new control arms were a tremendous improvement in ride quality and cornering. Clearly one of the best repairs I have done.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checking into it, it seems my choices are:

1. Pay Les Schwab Tires $90 to press out/in the rear bushing on both control arms.

2. Buy a press for ~$80-$130, and then store it in my packed garage. I guess I'd use it once every 3 years.

3. This! (found the link on some other thread on this forum):
HOW TO change the lower control arm bushing - TDIClub Forums

Has anyone done something like this on the Odyssey? It seems so easy (compared to storing a press in my garage) based on that thread.

I don't suspect any problems with the front bushings, but if I see any when I remove the control arms, I'll replace them too.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
That thread has been posted on here before so I assume it worked for someone. I need to do mine in the spring and will go that route.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just replaced the same bushings about 2 weeks ago. I used the same procedure from the link above. Worked out great and did not take too long. Just make sure you grease the control arm before installing to help them slide in easy and also make sure they are going in straight when you get them started. A long piece of pipe can help get more leverage when you are turning the vice tight.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just did this and unless you have a hydraulic press and the right size drivers - Don't do it. It is a major pain in the arse. I rented a big C-clamp type ball joint/bushing installer/remover set and I still ended up beating the rear bushing in with a deadblow hammer and large socket! The installer worked ok on the ball joint and just fair on the rear bushing.

Buy complete lower control arms with the new bushing and ball joints, you will be hours ahead and they only cost about $50 each over the cost of the two bushing and a ball joint. I would gladly pay $100 over after the PIA I just went through.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just replaced the same bushings about 2 weeks ago. I used the same procedure from the link above. Worked out great and did not take too long. Just make sure you grease the control arm before installing to help them slide in easy and also make sure they are going in straight when you get them started. A long piece of pipe can help get more leverage when you are turning the vice tight.
I did the job today using that method. Worked fine. The hardest part was separating the ball joints without the proper tool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts