Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am keeping this van for a while longer. History: Purchased new for me and family, 144000 miles, all scheduled maintence per the book, trans flush at 110000 miles. Great van, no problems ever except the door switch replaced at 80000 miles. Shifts smooth and runs like a watch. What would you guys do to the trans right now. Cooler, syn trans fluid, filter, what kind what type. I never had to look at this forum because I never had any problems. I do frequent other forums for my f250, vw bug etc. Just noticed a faint whine but only after reading on here. Maybe I am hearing things. Hope this post does not jinx me. Please share with me your thoughts. Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Come on guys. Just a little advice!!!!!! I know you all know about this stuff. Just reccomend a cooler, filter and what to do. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Have you tried the 'search' function? Your question has been asked and answered 100s of times. The transmission is probably the #1 topic on this forum. For starters, search on 'magnefine'

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Redmondjp. Thanks for your reply. Yes I have used the "search" function and have read till I am crosseyed. I guess I did not really find as much as related to my situation where I have a High mileage ody with no problems yet and where I wanted to take some prevenative steps. You are probably right that my question has been answered as it relates to rebuilt or replaced transmissions so I guess ill look there. Just really wanted to know which trans cooler is best, and if I should switch to a syn fluid at this point with 144k miles. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
58 Posts
What year? 2002-2004 has an external ATF filter that the Honda maintenance schedule does not mention. That would need to be replaced ASAP since it probably has never been. 1999-2001 has no filter. I never messed with synthetic fluid or a cooler, but I know others have strong opinions about those. I have stuck with Honda parts and fluids. Check for codes periodically because there are a couple trans related codes that don't set off the check engine light.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My van is a 2004 with the "improved" transmission. Im sure there is a link to the filter change. If you know where it is, please share. I think it is under the battery. Thanks

·
Registered
447 Posts
There's no "double blind" study to PROVE that a cooler, filter or synthetic will actually make your tranny last longer. With research, I heard that heat kills trannys on all makes of cars,,, so I put a cooler on at 60K. I also heard that dirty ATF will also kill any tranny (which may also be caused by heat),,, so I change the ATF about every 20-25K with Honda Z1. So far it's lasted 131K, (knock on wood!). But yours has lasted 144K with just normal maint,, so who knows what's the right way?? It probably depends on how you drive it, and if it's city or hwy miles too.

As for cooler brands, I would doubt it matters much. All are very simple devices.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts