Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Listening to CNN this morning and calls to access the strategic reserves as gas prices rise in the US. I just gassed up my odyssey here in Canada at 1.35.9 Per liter which translates into about 6.16 per liter and our dollar is on par with the U.S. dollar.

Try owning an Odyssey on this side of the border. Ouch! :)

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Try owning one in the UK. When I was over there last summer it was equivalent to over $10 a gallon.:(

·
Registered
786 Posts
I think that is about what the price of gas was the last time I went to the James Bay (Hudson Bay) in Radisson, Quebec. I'm supposed to go up there again soon and I can only imagine what the prices will be like then. At the rate they are going, I wouldn't be surprised if they get near $5.00/gallon here in the US.

·
Registered
632 Posts
$5.00/gallon is what analyst predict by summer time. Im glad that I dont daily drive my Ody just for 1hr or more out of town trips.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
The coasts are almost always more due to taxes and regional formulations.

I've got family in CA. It's already nipping $5.00/gallon, esp. near the s.f. bay area. Parts of FL near where my in-laws are already momentarily tagged $6.00 per gallon. Remember, when you hear the words "national average", it's just that. Other places will be much lower. Here in OK/TX, it's still in the $3.50 range since we're closer to the Gulf, no regional blends, low per-gallon state tax rates.

So, when our national average hits $5.00/gallon, some places will be much higher, other places much lower.

Put this in perspective, too. Currently, big oil companies run about a 4% profit margin after all of the exploration, R&D, pipeline infrastructure construction/maintenance, refining, distribution, exploration, and drilling recovery costs are accounted for (last year it was in the 5-6% range). Our federal government runs about a 15-to-16% profit slice on every dollar we spend on motor fuels. In short, our current government makes up to 4 times more than the oil companies do on each gallon of motor fuel sales. On $6.00/gallon fuel, nearly $1.00 of the amount spent on one gallon goes to the government.

Just glad I got rid of my 1/2-ton Dodge 4x4 and my Chevy Corvette. :)

OF

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just reread my original post. Got to get in the habit of doing that before I post. Obviously the 6.16 was today's cost "per gallon" (and not "per litre" as suggsted in my post) in my end of Canada. We would consider $5.00 per gallon as a gift from God.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
The consumers in North America have very short memory. Gas goes up and all the fuel efficient cars sell like pancakes, gas goes down, people forget about it and buy gas guzzlers back. Gas goes up again and you see people on the news crying because they have to choose between filling up the tank of their late model Nissan Armada or buying office supplies for their ONE kid :p

·
Registered
67 Posts
The coasts are almost always more due to taxes and regional formulations.

I've got family in CA. It's already nipping $5.00/gallon, esp. near the s.f. bay area. Parts of FL near where my in-laws are already momentarily tagged $6.00 per gallon. Remember, when you hear the words "national average", it's just that. Other places will be much lower. Here in OK/TX, it's still in the $3.50 range since we're closer to the Gulf, no regional blends, low per-gallon state tax rates.
I paid $4.15 for 87 at Costco yesterday in the San Jose area, but the average is creeping up and up. I think we will have no problem seeing $5 or even $5.50 by the summer time at this rate. Prices in California jumped higher due to refinery problems on the west coast. Here is a good heat map comparing prices across the country using real time data inputted by users of the site. Gas Price Heat Map - San Jose Gas Prices

·
Registered
108 Posts
What amazes me is even when the price per gallon goes way up, people are still driving 80-85mph or even more on the highway. It's hard to feel sorry for people like that when driving more sensibly can help their wallets big time.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Nice map, Shuebacca. I once lived in SCarolina, and STILL wonder why gas was always so reasonable in that state. Friends of mine in our old 'burg of Charleston are still seeing in the $3.-teens.

About $3.35 per gallon this week for 87, Top Tier (Conoco Phillips), NO ETHANOL. 420 miles on a tank of gas on our 2002 EX with an even mix of city and highway driving, and about 1/8th of tank left before the low fuel light usually makes its appearance. I was just in the Los Angeles area a couple months ago, and am glad to finally get the SoCal blended fuel out of my 2003's fuel tank with a couple fillups of relatively "clean" fuel.

OF

1 - 11 of 11 Posts