Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've searched the forums and haven't seen one with my exact question.
What is the best price to get the OEM Trailer Hitch installed on a Honda Odyssey?

I have the 2011 Touring model and need a 2" size hitch. I'm not interested in non-OEM after-market solutions. I do not need this for towing heavy loads, only for installing a bike rack (I understand that some options such as transmission coolers are not needed in this case).

I'd like to have some idea of a realistic price before bargaining with a local Honda dealer.

Any helpful information will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just bought a Ex-L with the towing package installed. They charged me 1186 which included the hitch, wiring harness, and ATF cooler.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hi,
I've searched the forums and haven't seen one with my exact question.
What is the best price to get the OEM Trailer Hitch installed on a Honda Odyssey?

I have the 2011 Touring model and need a 2" size hitch. I'm not interested in non-OEM after-market solutions. I do not need this for towing heavy loads, only for installing a bike rack (I understand that some options such as transmission coolers are not needed in this case).

I'd like to have some idea of a realistic price before bargaining with a local Honda dealer.

Any helpful information will be greatly appreciated!

If you install a hitch without the cooler and have transmission issues they can deny any warranty claims. There's no way you can prove you didn't tow anything. Perhaps you can argue your case, but they have the advantage. I'm in the same boat, I sucked it up an bought the cooler for my current and previous van. And like you, I only use the hitch for a bike rack.

Besides cost, there is really no downside to a cooler. I credit it with helping to more longevity out of my '02 (a year famous for tranny issues) even thought thousands of posts on the 2nd gen forum will say otherwise.

I like the look of the "hidden" hitch, but balking at the price. With the new model being lower than the previous ones, I'm still on the fence on which way I want to go.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I paid $995 to have the hitch package installed on the 11 but we do all of our service at the dealer so it was discounted. We also had the kit on our 02' and it did nothing to prevent our transmission failure, except maybe prolong it the 8k miles to put it out of warranty for us.

I agree that the oem hitch is the way to go though. Looks the best by far on the van.
Jd

·
Registered
1 Posts
After reading through these threads I became convinced that I wanted to install the oem hitch, wiring and atf cooler on my 2011 Odyssey EX. I learned from talking with various dealers that it's an all or nothing thing with the hitch. The dealer won't install only the hitch. It has to include the cooler and wiring. I didn't want to install an aftermarket item because 1) I like the way the OEM Hitch rests high in the bumper and I won't worry about scraping the back when carrying 4 bikes, 2) Even though I'm initially using the hitch only for a bike rack I didn't want to get into issues of voiding the warranty on the transmission should any issues arise. I price shopped the items at H and A Accessories, Bernardi and Partscheap.com and Partscheap.com beat H and A for a total of $634 plus tax (Hitch/$260, Wiring/$95 and Cooler/$279). I shopped around the cost of a Honda dealer (in Northern California) to install everything and at first they quoted the labor time individually which came out to 4.5 hours of labor. Apparently, there is also a "packaged" price to install these items at 2.5 hours and my local dealer cost was $237. So, $917 including the tax was the best total cost for the items and labor I could find. I'm wondering what others may have paid.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Which dealer was this? I'm looking at getting it installed eventually too. Perhaps at time of sale so I can lump it into the deal.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I installed the hitch and wiring myself and it was not all that difficult. Only took a bit of time. I have to still installl the oil cooler but will do that when I get a break. I have it ordered. I encourage you to give it a try. The online instructions make it fairly fool proof. Just take your time and you can do it. My dealer wanted over $1300 for the hitch package installed. SO far I have about $450 in in installed and about another $220 to get the cooler in.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I installed the hitch and wiring myself and it was not all that difficult. Only took a bit of time. I have to still installl the oil cooler but will do that when I get a break. I have it ordered. I encourage you to give it a try. The online instructions make it fairly fool proof. Just take your time and you can do it. My dealer wanted over $1300 for the hitch package installed. SO far I have about $450 in in installed and about another $220 to get the cooler in.
True, but your time isn't free.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
True, but your time isn't free.
I need to install a factory hitch also. I'll save $100+ per hour + the additional markup I can save (30%) buying thru a discount online dealer.
Locally installed $1,344
discounted parts only $675....... I'll save $669 getting my hands a little dirty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi 2011odyowner,

I am not sure if you go ahead and install the OEM Hitch. I took your price $917.00 as a base and my local dealer (Gwinnett Place Honda) offered me to do $1000.00 + $60.00 (Tax). He came down to this price from $1342. I checked Bernardi Honda Parts web site and the total cost for the parts and shipping is $814.00. So I am planning to go with $1060.00. My cost is $150.00 more than your quote.

Thanks

After reading through these threads I became convinced that I wanted to install the oem hitch, wiring and atf cooler on my 2011 Odyssey EX. I learned from talking with various dealers that it's an all or nothing thing with the hitch. The dealer won't install only the hitch. It has to include the cooler and wiring. I didn't want to install an aftermarket item because 1) I like the way the OEM Hitch rests high in the bumper and I won't worry about scraping the back when carrying 4 bikes, 2) Even though I'm initially using the hitch only for a bike rack I didn't want to get into issues of voiding the warranty on the transmission should any issues arise. I price shopped the items at H and A Accessories, Bernardi and Partscheap.com and Partscheap.com beat H and A for a total of $634 plus tax (Hitch/$260, Wiring/$95 and Cooler/$279). I shopped around the cost of a Honda dealer (in Northern California) to install everything and at first they quoted the labor time individually which came out to 4.5 hours of labor. Apparently, there is also a "packaged" price to install these items at 2.5 hours and my local dealer cost was $237. So, $917 including the tax was the best total cost for the items and labor I could find. I'm wondering what others may have paid.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Update...

My friend also interested in installing OEM Hitch, so the dealer came down to $1000 even (including taxes) for installing the hitch. Hope this is not a bad price.

Thanks

Hi 2011odyowner,

I am not sure if you go ahead and install the OEM Hitch. I took your price $917.00 as a base and my local dealer (Gwinnett Place Honda) offered me to do $1000.00 + $60.00 (Tax). He came down to this price from $1342. I checked Bernardi Honda Parts web site and the total cost for the parts and shipping is $814.00. So I am planning to go with $1060.00. My cost is $150.00 more than your quote.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I intend to buy the Honda receiver from a local dealer for his quoted price of $315 (part only).

I'll buy the wiring and ATF cooler aftermarket from e-trailer for about $85 total. I blow off the PS cooler as there is minimal difference from the non-tow package unit. I just replace the PS fluid every 40k miles or so instead. (My 03 PS pump lasted 186k miles that way).

It'll take me several hours to install it all, but I'll effectively be paying myself $100/hour compared to you guys (tax free). Dunno about y'all, but I ain't making that kinda cash in my day job!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
My OEM trailer package arrived.....holy sh_t that hitch is heavy!!! That thing is quite "stout". It'll be a week or two for me to get into the install.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I called my local dealer to get a quote, the service person asked me what I would be using the hitch for. I told him just a bike rack. He gave me quote of $774 (parts and labor) for just having the hitch and harness installed. I thought you need to have the ATF cooler installed no matter what you were using the hitch for to be within the warranty guidelines. Is this correct? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I installed an OEM hitch and electrics today. 4 hours of slow paced activity. It was raining so I was in no rush. Nothing difficult. :)

Next up....Trans cooler.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I decided to go the aftermarket route and bought a hidden hitch and t-one wiring harness for less than $300 delivered. It took 45 minutes to install all of it. The hitch was 6 bolts - the frame already has threaded bosses inside the box section. The harness was as easy as unscrewing the net anchors, popping off two panels, plugging a connector in and adding fuse up front. Ridiculously simple and doesn't look bad.

·
Registered
730 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts