Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend just asked me why I didn't use Priceline.com He bought his last 3 cars with it, including his '91 Ody (plus a BMW and a VW). You (might) know the deal: pick your model, the colors you would accept, the counties you'd be willing to go to and name your price. You get an answer the next business day. He says it works like a charm. The dealer is bound by the price - they can't mess around w/you at delivery - to the point that his dealer installed some non-removable option and had to give it to him free. Only thing is that if you bail it costs you something like $50 or $100. He bought his Ody without ever having seen one! They wanted a van - he read the Ody was the best - he had heard the local dealer wanted MSRP+$2000 so he used Priceline and got one at MSRP. The thing is that it only works for what they have in stock or will soon so you have to resubmit frequently. He did it every day for 10 days and had a van in his driveway in less than 3 weeks! The waiting list wasn't any different than it is now. He had color preferences but decided time was more important so he chose "all colors" - a big advantage if you can live with it. (What's worse, TW or 6 months?)

Just throwing it out there for your consideration. If my dealer starts playing games we will try it. Am also considering trying it just to see if I could get a NAV.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Another option is to use www.AutobyTel.com. We used the service on our last two Hondas (an Accord and an Odyssey). On theOdyssey it saved us the $440 destination charge, and we paid MSRP on an EX-NAVI.

------------------

2001 EX-NAVI, SS
1997 Accord EX-L, Forest Green
Previous Hondas:
1992 Accord EX, White
1982 Accord DX, Silver

[This message has been edited by Steve Pert (edited 11-28-2001).]

·
Registered
8 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gettin'AVan:
A friend just asked me why I didn't use Priceline.com He bought his last 3 cars with it, including his '91 Ody (plus a BMW and a VW). You (might) know the deal: pick your model, the colors you would accept, the counties you'd be willing to go to and name your price. You get an answer the next business day. He says it works like a charm. The dealer is bound by the price - they can't mess around w/you at delivery - to the point that his dealer installed some non-removable option and had to give it to him free. Only thing is that if you bail it costs you something like $50 or $100. He bought his Ody without ever having seen one! They wanted a van - he read the Ody was the best - he had heard the local dealer wanted MSRP+$2000 so he used Priceline and got one at MSRP. The thing is that it only works for what they have in stock or will soon so you have to resubmit frequently. He did it every day for 10 days and had a van in his driveway in less than 3 weeks! The waiting list wasn't any different than it is now. He had color preferences but decided time was more important so he chose "all colors" - a big advantage if you can live with it. (What's worse, TW or 6 months?)

Just throwing it out there for your consideration. If my dealer starts playing games we will try it. Am also considering trying it just to see if I could get a NAV.
</font>
Tried submitting a bid via Priceline, but they have not updated their 2002 color selection to include RRP. Went to Autobytel.com and submitted there fine. We shall see. Have a deposit at Academy Honda, Old Bridge NJ since early September with no assurance that I will see a van anytime in the near future.
Doug B

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also used Autobytel to buy my 2002 LX. Dealer let me know that he was offering MSRP only because I was an "Internet" customer. However, his "Internet discounts" on the accessories I wanted were a joke, around 5% or an already outrageous price. But there were no last minute games played on the price.

I also used Autobytel to buy a Subie a few years ago and got a great deal. Supposedly Autobytel enforces some minimum level of quality/honesty in order for dealers to use their service.

I'd advice anyone to give it a try, (or using email to request a quote from a dealer)takes less time than sitting around in a showroom.

------------------
2002 LX

1 - 4 of 4 Posts